Yet again, noob question about ToW editor ...

DaveyJJ

Given that I want to create small battle on the west front and in Italy I'm buying ToW (1). My basic question about the editor ...

Let's say I want to make a simple, single player attack/defence style scenario. One of Brit/US/Canuck vs German in Normandy (or Brits vs Germans in north Italy, late 44) with a small set of fixed forces. I want one side to be the static defenders (let's assume that these will be the AI) and one side to be the attackers.

The attackers will win if: They reach a specific objective point on the map (a trigger?). [Maybe, also, the defenders win if they eliminate certain units or a % of the attacking forces.]

Ignoring the creating the map part, how easy is this to create?

Thanks.

The mission will be really easy to create using the mission generator. It allows you to choose map, select units, supports, place units for both sides on the map, etc. However, mission will end when one side almost eliminates the other. To make victory conditions more specific, you'll need to tune it a little in editor (add a trigger for special win condition using script language).

Script language supported by the game is actually very powerful and lets you to program any scenario. However, this also means that it has many commands and it may be tricky to learn it at first (this is not needed if you're creating simple engagements).

Sneaksie is right, the scripting language is very powerfull, it's also quite a steep learning curve if you are not used to programming. It is a good idea to use the mission generator initially to get your mission up & running quickly. If you need extra reinforcements/behaviors for either side you can add your own triggers to add these extra units as/when needed. Be careful however as the game will crash if you exceed 250 units total at any one time. IMO the best place to run your triggers is usually from the InitMission trigger on generated missions.

If you need an example you can look at the missions in my Bulldogs campaign, it has a mix of my own work & customised battle generated missions. I found it very usefull to generate a library file of code (text file with my own + selected triggers from stock missions) that I either cribbed from or customised for the new mission.

Post here if you need help. Good Luck!