Server down!

Stalins Organ

I recently emailed DIF Admin about the connection problems, here is part of their response:

"...sorry to hear about your problems. Down in Flames is in our "Classic" games series and as such only available for limited support. Having said that, I have forwarded your email to the programmer for this game, and he will contact you shortly. If you don't hear from Brian within the next couple of days, please submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk."

I fear that Battlefront support on this game and their server system is on a downward spiral. Put me in touch with the programmer? The game programmer isn't responsible for server maintenance issues, is he?

If they aren't going to support it then they should at least release a new version that allows us to set up a host system on our own computers so we can at least meet a friend online and get a game going. Also, allow us to play campaigns without having to be online.

Apparently he is - note that the down in flames site isn't actually a BFC address.

but yeah - it's an old game & chances are they aren't going to spend any money to "cut it free" either.

Shame - I reckon it is still "valid" as a game - there's nothing else quite like it in terms of ease of play, short games, campaigns, etc.

I agree. It is a great game. My friend and I still play the card game version of it all the time. Well if they don't want to spend any more money then maybe they could release it to open source? If they eventually stop supporting it, sales will eventually dry up anyways, so its not like they would be losing any money.

Then again, if they update the game and allow self hosting and local campaign games, maybe interest in the game will be revitalized. There is a lot they could do to make the game even more appealing. Add more planes, more campaigns, include the Locked On material, etc...

The reason I'm posting here is because my interest in the PC game was renewed because of all the playtime my buddy and I spend on the card game. I was all ready to plop down some cash and get the Eastern Front expansion pack, but now am not so sure. Wouldn't be much fun if these connection problems don't get ironed out.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate it when it goes down on a weekend and I want to sit inside playing games - the guys at BFC are pretty quick when they do get my ticket...but what with the time differences, and weekends, it's still annoying!! :(

So, just in case anyone is actually reading this, and is also suffering server problems from time to time, remember to send a ticket to the help desk - www.battlefront.com/helpdesk

I usually give it a couple of hours at least without being able to connect - not always contiguous hours mind you - for example here's a rugby game I can go and watch now - go Tasman! :)