[UFC #2] Xwormwood (Allies) vs Rambo (Axis)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe, Russia

I need mud and rain, not cold freezing snow.

Again, nothing worth mentioning. Several attacks here and there, but no good results. One turn of good weather and i will suffer, big time.

yyyfront.jpg?t=1284839021

Tito commands his fortress Belgrad, invincible Yugos.

If jjr wants to achieve something here, he has to send real troops, not those poor rumanian peasants in uniform.

Asia

My airforce attacks China out of India, with VERY little success.

Pacific

Killed (at least thats how i remember it) a japanese sub in the south pacific.

Philippines

Bombed some ports, but where is the the imperial navy?

This uncertainity paralazyes my decisions.

yyycome.jpg?t=1284839158

Europe, Russia

Can't get through those iron german units, darn. But was bale to free Kharkow again. Better than nothing, i guess.

With his air force taking one step back from the front lines i hope it won't become such a bloodfest when the sun reappears.

Pacific, Philippines

He killed my american bomber next to Manado.

I attacked his BBs (showing naval tech 3!) with my own british naval forces, BBs, CAs and CVs, sinking one BB and reducing another one to strength 1

His revenge will be a tough one though, with land and naval based airpower arround.

Hawaii

I landed two Marine units and a HQ at Pearl.

The defenders (1 HQ, a SF unit, a fighter and a Bomber) took some damages, but his land forces survived without to much losses.

Maybe my lvl 5 fighters shocked him as much as his lvl 3 tech disturbed me.

The seas around Pearl are infested with his subs and DDs.

French-Indochina

Somehow my Ghurkas hunting his HQ Tamauchi toward Nanning, reducing the HQ to strength 4. Wasn't able to bring back the Ghurkas due to lack of supply, so i had to march into Mordor with them.

Thailand

Stalemate, my Corps can't attack without major help.

Irag

Attacked from Lebanon with 2 UK armies, 1 corps and a HQ.

Wasn't able to kill the Bagdad defenders, they survived the inital attack with strength 1.

Turkey didn't take the news to good, jumping to 79% toward the axis.

My SS 42 stumbled into a transport northeast of Wake, troops where lost with the transports, but only 4 out of 11.

united.jpg?t=1284854955

Europe

With the end of the bad weather season i will soon come under the strikes of jjr stukas again.

Turkey at 94% toward the axis, will probably join next turn.

Sunk an U-boat and a DD in the Skagerak. Not sure why they were sailing there, probably to prevent a naval invasion of Denmark or Norway.

Asia

Iraq surrendered. Next turn the UK will have to go north because of Turkey.

The King is not amused.

2 UK CVs barely survived air and naval attacks near Manado. A CA won't survive the following naval battle.

zzz433.jpg?t=1284903189

Pacific, Hawaii

Landed another corps, which suffered from bad weather during the journey.

Killed the HQ, but the japanese marines are still alive and kicking.

zzz431.jpg?t=1284902996

Yenan now under control of chinese partisans, so welcome back, my little chinese friends.

zzz432-1.jpg?t=1284903810

April 1943

[Hawaii] I just got blasted to Hell. American Jets manufactured by Boeing just level the Island Paradise. The roaring sound & bombs sliced my troops in half. They are surrounded, no escape, they will die, goodbye.

[Vietnam] 3 Heavy Jap infantry (2-SF, Army, HQ) are battling 5+ Corps & Tank...we ping up the light targets.

Nippons do kill Cruiser, ping a sub, and basically that's it. Some crazy Gurka is nearly dead trying to cutoff 'Nam.

[Russia] Our expensive planes fly for the first time in ages. T-34 KIA, Corp KIA, it's be a long time.

Europe, Russia

I miss the rain. A tank and 2 corps were slaughter by air attacks.

My own efforts killed a corps near Kiev.

Turkey

Still neutral, but the clock is ticking.

China

Yenan partisans have been slaughtered, but the good old fortress is still held by loyal chinese civilians.

Another partisan pop up next to Hong Kong and freed the unoccupied city.

They found the DD Kashima moored at the docks, and with sticks, stones and molotov cocktails they damaged the lvl 3 naval unit from 10 towards 8.

may1943.jpg?t=1284915150

The Ghurkas died in my turn with a last, desperate attack against another japanese HQ in Nanning. Both side suffered one hit. Sorry, fellas.

Pacific, Hawaii

Free at last. Now its time to rebuild those precious docks again.

I stirred up a nest of SS and DDs near the japanese fortress island.

Im in over my head with DDs, CAs and BBs.

This might turn out ugly for my side.

Europe, Russia

Lost last turn at least a russian corps and a russian army due to heavy air attacks. Keep on the sunny side of life, hah!

In my turn i used my tank forces again, killing once more HQ Leeb.

jjr showed europe wide lvl 4 aircrafts. Russia and the UK are at lvl 1.

North of Riga, in front of the axis eagles nest, is a solid line of german units.

A not so solid minor army died under my attacks.

Turkey joined the axis. Great relief that they did at the end of jjrs turn, so i was able to use my UK army in Iraq to kill the turkish fighter while a UK carrier sunk the turkish CA in Constatinopel harbor.

Pacific

jjr evacuated the Christmas Islands, but i wasn't able to find the transport.

Still don't know where the italian black shirts have gone to, and here we are with a second ghost transport. Flying dutchman.

Somewhat more westward the battle between his subs and my CAs and DDs ended in heavy losses for both sides. I fear that his carriers might arrive to the battleground to finish the job. We'll see.

1943max.jpg?t=1285090461

Strategic Command Global Conflict

I do remember he does take some risks & is willing to battle for key terrority despite high losses, but that is very limited & single data. Xwormwood tends to be a historical & vocal type person. He is a German & hates Nazis, not sure how this will factor into the game.

Btw: i showed this thread to my "younger" brother (age: 36) and he instantly laughed and said after reading these very first lines that you truly gave a very accurate description of my gameplay stile. Laughing as in "oh boy, that is soo true!".

Dang, i'm obviously an open book.

Europe, Russia

Mannerheim HQ moved out of the mannerheim fortress to a position west of Helsinki. With no entrenchment bonus an easy and very welcome kill for my russian corps.

No advances on the northern front, i'm stuck in front of Minsk and Riga.

In the south there is no more oposition in sight, my tanks should be able to regroup and advance further.

Ploesti again in russian hands, while Tito still holds out, waiting for the russian cavalary

Unbenannt-8.jpg?t=1285149056

Turkey

Bulgaria is still neutral (79% axis), so the turks are cut of and have to face the Britons alone.

Unbenannt-11.jpg?t=1285149150

Asia

My UK minor corps are no match for the japanese elite soldiers they are facing in Thailand and Borneo.

No fleet actions

Last turn jjr killed a russian army near minsk, mostly with air strike.

Time to conduct the rain dance, i guess.

In the pacific i freed the christmas islands.

On Borneo on of my two defenders was killed after 3 battle hardened special units attack it with a little help from the japanese air aces.

Near Bangkok one of my corps died in the line of dury.

I still haven't build up enough firepower there to return the favor.

Nothing new in Turkey, even though 1 understrength corps of mine tries to run into Byzantium.

Europe

Russia

Minor advance in eastern europe ended with the three axis corps gone,

and all of them lost their lifes in the weak southern belly (2 german, 1 minor). At the norther front i'm stuck.

aug1943.jpg?t=1285349739

Asia

Landed with one (two, three, four, i love the) marine corps at Midway, but wasn't able to kill the defenders. Damned bushido codex.

In Thailand i lost a corps. and this won't be the last one, i stand no chance against the japanese crack forces. Still thinking about a quick solution.

I need a GOOD and FAST idea. NOW.

Same goes for Balikapaan. Sigh.

aug19432.jpg?t=1285349809

Europe, Western Front

EveningChronicle-6thJune1944.jpg?t=1285405952

Brussels was taken without any combat. Through the port of Antwerpen the Tommys poured in reinforcements, advancing into unoccupied fortifications.

In Russia the first attacks were made against the rumanian capital Bucharest.

In Asia we sent a new corps into Borneo, advancing on the japanese air bases.

In the Pacific Midway was freed.

I think this is easily explained:

jjr didn't install Vichy and ignored the Hitler-Stalin pact.

No french plunder for the axis but free and excellent north african forces for the allies (and some french units in the pacific as well) make the difference all the way.

This has nothing to do with your or my playing skill, but with jjr decision to try something different in our game.

At least thats the way i see it.

:)

The shell game is over in France. Nazis were destroyed in Russian Winter. I lost all experience HQ's & many expensive Air Units.

The Japs have no Fighter technology, they cannot even fight the Yanks. He has at least +4, I have +1. My plan in the Pacific was to take Hawaii & battle at the sea. With no fighter tech, no battle.

On the flip side, the strategy I used was doomed against the strategy Xwormwood used. XW played agressive in Russia (versus a passive skrimish defense). During the Winter, he inflitrated my lines & popped away on HQ's & Air. I was using an Air offensive + rockets. They were all poised for Lennigrad when the snow started to fly.

His Jet strategy ended any chance in the Pacific. I have a whole fleet, but it refuses to fight against Yankee technology.

I know exactly what your talking about xwood, many times in games, I or my opponent has made an obvious choice that diverts from the conservative line of action just to see where it leads. Sometimes it leads to profound results, sometimes one of us in the obvious superior position will reciprocate with a likewise deviation from the "right" move just to even things up.

No doubt it definitely enhances the fun factor especially when you've mastered all the right moves for victory from the many replays of the official scenarios. That's one reason why I like to play my experienced opponents in a mod that neither one of us has sampled. Its all about the fun.:)

I surrender. Winter 1942 :( I had 4+ tactical bombers + two rockets poised for Lennigrad. The assualt never happened. I lost going for one too many Russian cities in the winter. My positions were comprimised in Central Russia :(

The Pacific is just as bad. My Carriers only have Advanced Air +1 vs at least +4 or +5. I went out with full strength, did no damage, took 7 hits of damage :(

My Hawaiian invasion was a bad move.