[UFC #2] Xwormwood (Allies) vs Rambo (Axis)

Asia

Chungking is about to fall, as the defending (sigh) HQ is reduced to strength 5.

Without some free reinforcements (bring in the reserves!) there is not much hope left.

Europe

Axis forces masses near the german russian border.

Time to bring in the russian reinforcements.

46.jpg

Royal Airforce bombed the Normandy, only to get intercepted by the fighter hiding in Paris. On the other hand, where else if not in the central of wine, women and delicious food would you expect the flyboys to stay?

Africa

No further advances on Tripolis this turn, only the compulsory french air raids (strat. and tac bombers).

East africa is still a very dangerous place to stand on the map with this Stuka and black shirt units. Darn.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asia

Thanks to parisan activities i'm able to puncture Japan again once more, even though without of any hope to achieve anything with them.

With the first capital fallen and heavy losses (HQ, the remains of my once proud tac air) the second capital is already besieged by the japanese army.

Changsha and Foochow remain under my control, as there were never targeted by any major offensives. Its a pity that i couldn't choose about what city should becomeh my next capitol. This way your opponent can virtually attack nearly all capitols at the same time and ignoring all the other cities.

48.jpg

Europe

More and more german uints arrive in east poland.

Tac air, HQs, tanks (thank god still only lvl 1) and lots of armies and corps.

But the balkans remain neutral, probably because France never surrendered.

A fighter attack on a german HQ near Paris was intercepted by a german fighter placed at the Ruhr industrial area.

No naval activities, the german BBs Bismarck and the uncompleted Tirpitz scouting the neutral Russia. Can only hope that the Finns show no love for a foreign BB next to their woods and beaches.

Africa

North Africa is about to become cleaned from any italian occupation very soon now, as an UK corps moved in from the west to help the french while from the east an UK spearhead will soon offer help as well.

A german sub is hunting down convoys toward the indian ocean, at least thats my guess.

Xwood - he's either toying with you or playing while drunk I'm afraid and not taking this very seriously. Based on the map on the front of TIME he was clearly in a position to hold off taking chungking and take lanchow first thus eliminating any escape for the chinese and total japanese victory in summer 41. He choose not to which means he is either a fool, not really playing to win, or comtemptuous of his opposition. The first and latter I doubt.

Europe

Germany assaulted Russia, and in the inital attack Minsk was lost to the fascists.

Riga is surrounded by the german warmongers.

Stalin ordered instant counterattacks.

A german corps east of Kiev was killed, while both sides lost a tank unit.

Asia

Lanchow is still besieged,

the remains so the Youth Army were crunched, just like a partisan unit marching towards Beijing.

Kunming faces deadly opposition.

Africa

Tripolis awaits its liberators as the last italians died defending the winestore.

In East Africa the Italians manage to hold their ground while giving deadly blows towards all closing allied forces.

South of Madagaskar a sub fulfilled its duty to the Vaterland.

Politics

The USA started the Largo Embargo. Ahem, the Oil embargo against Japan.

Back to Sake and coal, my friends.

53.jpg

(sorry for the reduced text)

August 1941

[France]

Luftwaffen veterans in Paris spot BB near Brest, we run a sortie on him, take a hit, give none.

[Russia]

Riga is attack with Panzer, Army, Corp, Air....all in the order which causes me no damage. Von Ruenstead takes the city himself, liberating the Commies into the Nazi Empire. A 1000 years I say. In the South, we attack Kiev, do like 5-damage. T-34 is spotted to the East, we get behind the river with SF. Xwormwood loves exchanges & bold all out attacks (see Chinese strategy, RAF agression, T-34 full exhanges), so he will be tested this time...odds are against him in this one. Italy bomber pings Russian mine. We also finished off Russian Battleship (BB).

[Africa]

Italian special forces finish off Terror cell Allied African Corp. didn't get the name on the unit we killed, they are all evil. Tactical bomber pops some HQ-Terrorist.

[China]

We're enjoying the fruits of our labor. HQ-Zhu executed for treason beside Kumming. We capture & destroy capital #2, we see couple Corps left, all HQs dead, Air destroyed, etc. I will say this, Xwormwood killed some Japs :) The terrorist partisans popped up everywhere. They were given a free air show, free admittion. We blast one partisan with Tactical Air. Even bomb the civilians there after the fact to send a message. He still has one city, but I don't care. Target rich enviornment.

[Pearl Harbor]

We give Pearl a drive-by with a Carrier, his fighter had to spot me.

Asia

China lost 2 corps and an HQ.

Only the western provinces are safe, at least for a couple of turns.

In the east we hold 3 cities, but only 2 of 'em are guarded by defenders.

At least one japanese CV is cruising west of Pearl Harbor.

Africa

East Africa, i goofed up things here, when i didn't approached strong enough the italian defenders. This let to a constant corps dying on my side.

On the other hand: North Africa is secured, this gives me some options what to do with my air, land and naval units there. I will think of something, i guess.

East of Madagascar i run into the german sub, which was more alive than i thought it would be. Anyway, it is sub against my DD now,

JJR got sloppy as he parked his sub on the same place for at least one turn (i went for the sighting you get when a raider attacks a convoy line).

Europe:

Some germans in front of Kiev. He as at least 2 dive bombers. His attack on Riga was a desaster for my side, as an entreched corps with inf 1 / AT 1 did no damage in 5 or 6 sequenced battles.

52.jpg

The battered Marat BB was killed, such an unlucky ship.

At the end of my turn i got a russian partisan unit. JJR seems to ignore these kind of possibilities, as this already happened a couple of times in china as well.

Finland joined the Axis. Bulgaria and Romania are still neutral.

Bombed Danmark (city & harbor), both EMPTY. Well, well, well ...

The USA is at 24%. This has to change, and better be quick with it, colonists!

At work now, can't game til tonight. Damn, forgot to move U-30? Little mistakes can mount on me & the axis, did u get the kill?

Our game is diff, went traditional timeline against Russia. You seem to like exchanging punches quick to gain momentum. Africa training camp is funny, just an annoyance work for Allies. China is a sealed deal soon enough yet you did hurt me. Time vs Losses much diff than Mintys slow play China

I'm already back from work, but thats me, living in an european time zone.

No, i didn't got a kil on you sub, far away from it. We simply exchanged hits, as i only ran into a surprise contact. I think your sub is still at strength 8.

In china i made some mortal mistakes, when i moved units right before your attacks, wasting my entrenchment bonus for nothing.

Unnescessary movements, not for my attacks, but simply and silly changing positions in the defense line. Some of these units didn't survived the following turn, other never recovered from their wounds.

If i see the chance to achive greatness, surprise or to give a hurting blow from which i hope to get the better end, i often do it.

I like the way you play, with ignoring Hitler-Stalin and Vichy (viel Feind, viel Ehr / the more danger, the more honor).

Maybe you shouldn't have gone on the attack with your naval units, like fighting it out with the RN. The raiding activities would have hurt so much more, as you have proven when you fooled me with the Graf Spee and the Sub, which i didn't found for several rounds.

Europe

Kiev has fallen, Odessa is besieged.

A counterattack of 2 soviet armies and a tank killed a german special forces unit.

JJR Bombed the Dnepropetowsk mines to ashes with 2 bombers (german and italian).

54.jpg

The french SS Surouf constantly drains 10 and more mpps out of his norwegian convoys.

Rumania and Bulgaria still neutral.

Africa

The happy times in East Africa are over, as some reinforcements from the med marching to take revenge.

The Sub escaped after another battle, both sides licking their wounds here.

Asia

Wuhan has fallen, and with no defenders that was not such a big surprise.

China is nearly dead now.

The imperial navy scouts Midway...

September 1941

[Mogadishia] Terror Camp reinforces our rebels. Tactical air attack against Corp is intercepted by RAF, real units have come to the field, no longer fighting Zulu units.

[Russia] SF-Brandenburger was killed last turn. No worries, Italian & German Bombers go after the 1st Guards Tanks, scoring a few hits. Then the heavy infantry finishes the punk off for some payback. This is beside Odyessa. Albert Speer budgets funds for a new Brandenburger unit at discount price as volunteers flood to wear the Iron Cross in combat.

Other side of the front, we send double Tactical attacks on Smoltz, then comes Legend Panzer SS dishing some hits, we take none. Tought attack against Red Army starting entrenched behind river. Heavy infantry follow up, he ends the turn strength-2. I play it conservative, keeping my line intact in case of counter attack.

[China] Blah-blah, we hit city with Corp for 8 damage....just a matter of time, I'm 3 hexes away from the cheese, he has nothing left worth mentioning.

What a quiet turn, is there even a war going on?

Europe

All quiet on the western front with Iceland now under allied control.

In the east i lost a soviet tank against half a dozen attackers of all kinds.

South of Smolensk i whipped a german corps with a 3:0 attack resault from one of my entreched soviet armies.

The french SS Surcouf did again her 13 mpp attack on the norwegian ore convoys.

With no swedish convoys and still no rumanian oil wells i assume that jjr needs some quick victories, or else i will win the war in europe by simple attrition, as no subs raiding my convoy lines. Since ages.

Africa

East africa is covered by rain and clouds, so no acitivties worth mentioning here.

Asia

Lost Changsha and the remains of 2 chinese armies.

Japan shadows Midway and Wake, probably to prepare invasions.

Battle smell is in the air, can't be too long before the air ignites.

japan.jpg

Africa (or: lost and found)

Italy pulled out of East Africa, suddenly Mogadishu was empty.

Locals reported that the italians set a sail.

59.jpg?t=1284202916

Fisrt puzzled, than glad about this easy victory, we started our search for them.

And when out DD bumbed into the italian HQ, we finaly got a sighting.

Welcome back to the war, Signori.

58.jpg?t=1284202916

Europe

A UK fighter sweep at the engineers next to Brussels got intercepted and did no damage but to the attacking planes.

In Russia bad weather has stalled jjrs advance, Odessa and Smolensk are still in russian hand. Bravo, comrades.

Asia

The japs Navy has gone missing.

Only the DD next to Pearl Harbor is there. Not good.

In China the fighting has nearly stopped, as i only control 2 cities in the west, the one which is since turn 1 already isolated at the coast and the jungle town north of Nam.

4-5 corps from my side facing 2-3 armies and a HQ in the mountain in front of my last capital.

Europe

Bad weather.

Odessa is lost, the defending corps got killed.

Everyone else refused to fight,

Africa

the italian transports slipped away, but we will meet again one day, dear friends.

Asia

3 japanese crack units and an HQ in front of my last capital, but nothing really happened this turn. As anywhere else in Asia.

Sorry, dear reader, this AAR seems to mutate into a one-man-show once more again.

My best guess is that jjr boarded of one of those italian transports who fled east adrica and is therefor probably not able to contribute here anymore right now. :eek::confused:

LOL, what does he want me to report, the exact location of my ships?

[Europe] Dude, it's a frozen tundra in December 1941. German troops take damage without much combat due to the cold. We ping Smoltz. Bring a Rocket to Finland to counter his fortress build SE of Lennigrad. In the South, we ping the first mine West of Dneiper River. Brave troops fighting the winter cold. Luftwaffen grounded, brushing off snow on the wings.

[uSA] Their congress is at 45% attitude about this non-war.

[Japs] Working on the last Chinese capital. We kill another Corp, he's entrenched x3 in the Alamo with Corp. We bomb a mine. Matter of time as usual.

[blackshirt Italians] Position unknown, HQ escaped like Darth Vadar at end of Star War IV New Hope.

LOL, what does he want me to report, the exact location of my ships?

Nope.

AAR = you play, you post, i play, i post.

You were for a time a little bit short about writing about your turn. Thats all.

Europe

Winter. Snow. Cold. Frozen. The war is hibernating.

Africa

Still no signs of the transports. Instead ultra showed us the location of the even longer lost sub. Not missing anymore, as it currents position is of a more permanent, not to say eternal state.

Asia

China is soon to collapse, Nanning is trippe of her defendes, next turn gone.

USA still not attacked, neither are the colonies of the former european superpowers.

jan42.jpg?t=1284318251

February 1942, and the war takes a snooth.

This leaves time for remembrance pics like this one

fwb142.jpg?t=1284329921

Africa

Due to his last communication we were able to track back the signal.

JJR sits on the transport south of indonesia, sipping chianti with the italian General how left east africa with sake and rice dishes on his mind.

Still swimming, bud trailing smoke and bunker oil behind him he escaped the attack of my DD.

feb342.jpg?t=1284330121

Asia

We said hello to the HQ which command the besieging troops on front of the chinese capital, reducing it from 10 to 9 strength points.

Pacific

Say hello to the Japanese Fleet which was kind enough to stand still for a group picture.

Say "cheeeee-se!"

feb242.jpg?t=1284330264

Europe

2 German subs were blocking the holy Jutland battleground.

Reason enough to attack them with a little DD posse.

No skalps taken, but one SS got a pretty bloody nose.

March 1942

[Pearl Harbor] Yes, the Yanks got ticked last turn for my sail by. As they take pictures of us, we take picture of their ships & positions. More units arrive for the group photo.

[China] They will not be joining us, for the rest of the war. Government workers shot, praise them. Gold plundered, slavery system set up. The 998 MMP plunder will be fun to spend next turn.

[Finland] German Rocket from Helsinki popping Lennigrad.

[Russia] Winter, winter, winter...

[Romania] They joined last turn.

[Danish Sea] Yes, the Allies damaged U-Boat, well....they paid a price. We counter attack with fresh Wolfgang Sub & Carrier...the British Cruiser & Destroyer are now wallpaper at the bottom of the ocean. Somebody on History Channel can find them in 70 years.

Asia

China is ancient history.

555777.jpg?t=1284334980

A strenght 11 corps in the capital, well entrenched, got killed after two lousy attacks.

Pacific

Family meeting in Hawaii, who could blame those tiny japanese.

Weather, surfing, food, you got it all.

Africa

Kreegah, Tarzan bundolo (aka nothing happened in the jungle)

Europe

Both sides building snowmen.

Of course, there is still a little fleet action in the Skagarak.

034202.jpg?t=1284333082

One german sub trapped, the Graf Zeppelin reduced to strength 5.

March 1942, a day which will live in infamy !!!

TORA !!!!!! TORA !!!!!! TORA !!!!!!

Entire Japanese fleet attacks Pearl Harbor, the Hawaiian Islands !!!

5-Jap Carriers, Subs, Battleships, Cruisers, and landing craft. All American ships sunk. The Yanks have 3-Fighters, 1-SF, 1-Corp on the islands. We destroy one Fighter & the SF. Japs land in force with 3-SF, 1-HQ. He still holds Pearl, but will have no choice but to fly away or die on his turn. The islands are surrounded too.

This was my biggest assault on Pearl in my personal professional gaming career. The fact he added 2 more Fighters caused me aircraft losses, but oh well. I've been committing and planning this for years. That's why I didn't do any other DOW anywhere, did not want the Yanks coming into the game and screwing this up, else I lose on spot.

Also, Japs DOW & take Hong Kong......and Bruneii.

Japs also DOW on Phillipines, don't have the punch for the capital just now because of PH, but we came in strong against the Muslim owned island of Daveo. We send 2-SF & Army to capture the port. We will have to march to Manilla.

[Russia]

Weather breaks. MASSIVE attacks in the North. 4-tactical bombers, 2-rockets, couple fighters, naval bombardment, etc....both on Lennigrad & Smoltz. We knock down the entrenchments built in the winter, will take us a turn or two, but we are going for key objectives.

In the South, bombers & 3-Army units go after the first mine. Reds incetercept with one fighter.

Ball is in his court, the war has actually begun.

Yeah, yeah, the Allies have alot of MMPs, they always do.

April 1942

[Hawaii, USA] There will be no Elvis Presley singing "Blue Hawaii".....because the Japs have taken Pearl Harbor, plundered it all, etc. Only sucky thing, couldn't get the kill on the last fighter sitting there. I probably didn't need to panic so much with capturing the city. Last fighter has strength-2 & the West port. Also killed a US-Sub that rammed one of my carriers for a couple hits.

[Phillipines] US refused to move the Bomber out as we marched from Daveo to Bataan, one dead Bomber with the little help from my Taiwanese Tactical friends.

[india] I have no troops there nor Burma since he owns both. Doesn't mean duel Bombers can't drop eggs on Chittachong, Ledo, etc.

Also pinging remote Islands. Yanks have a fighter on Midway. Pinged Christmas Island for 3 damage. He's got a few Austrailia ships floating around Phillipines area against Jap sub.

[Russia] Rain, rain, rain. Smoltz captured with ground & pound Armor, SF, Army. Double rocket attacks on Lennigrad.

[south Russia] Triple Armies trash the defender on the West mine of Dniepper. We end with good defensive positions in Russia.

Seems normal to me if not a little light. He'll need every penny against Rambo. China falling before USA entry is a big deal. US was able to island hop a long way against almost no resistance in our game as he was fighting china and without their MMP until 8 months later. on the other hand if Xwood can reinforce singapore. dutch east indies etc then it will be a major blow to rambo not getting that oil.