Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Backing up My CMAK disc

I was able to make back ups of CMBO and CMBB. Not for distribution for wear and tear protection. I am unable to do it with CMAK. Is the disc protected from copying? I already have a nasty scratch on it and want to make sure I have a working copy. Perhaps it is the scratch that prevents me from making the copy.

If it is indeed the scratch, is there a way of repairing a scratched disc?

Thanks

It depends on how deep the scratch is. Some scratches are deep enough that they can't be buffed out.

Otherwise there are plastic polishes out there than can remove most scratches on CDs. I don't know what to recommend in terms of CD cleaners you may find at some computer/game stores. A decent one will probably cost you as much as CMAK did. Novus Plastic Polish is one item to try (about US$25 from some distributors, depending on how much and which type you get). I've got it myself, but I haven't tried it as of yet.

Most of these polishes and 'cd cleaners' will probably make the CD's underside surface more 'cloudy' than the original mirror finish, but some of these formulas may be able to remove your scratch.

About CD copying. Though your intent is legal as far as I'm aware (you may need to look at the license agreement to see if backup copies are legal), the subject is verboten on this forum. The scratch may or may not be responsible for your inability to copy the CD. The CDV (retail) releases of CM use a particular format of copy protection that may defeat the software that you're using.

• 2 weeks later...