How to get Infantry to use SMAWs/ATs?

How can I get Infantry units (that don't have explosives charges....Which really need to be included in all units I think)....but how do I get units to use their SMAWs or ATs on walls?

If you target them, they waste ammo (needlessly). Is there something I'm missing?

Perhaps you can with the SMAW?.....but what about when your Marine Infantry units....(that don't carry SMAWs)....but load up on ATs ...and you need to breach a wall section?

It is frustrating as hell that units can't be outfitted with breaching chargers (almost all have these when in MOUT situations today).

(almost all have these when in MOUT situations today).

Do you say that from first hand knowledge? I don't mean to question your knowledge but it would seem to me that breaching charges would require significant extra training to use and as such only certain soldiers would use them.

As for breaching walls with AT weapons, well its not what they were designed for, i've found the AT-4 to be particularly useless when it comes to knocking down walls. Your best bet is to load the squad up on AT weapons and then split the AT squad and get them to target the wall you wish to breach, this way you won't burn through 5.52mm as you breach the wall, although it could take quite a few AT-4s. The brits have a specific anti-structure missile (LASW) but i've never really tested to see if this is any more effective than the AT-4.

I guess you have marines, hence the SMAW question, they also have those GMGs in their squad so perhaps try that (split the squads again to minimise small arms use) if you have plenty of ammo carriers.

Bear in mind that weapons like the AT-4 make very small holes. About an inch across in masonry. While spall on the other side will likely injure people behind it, the rocket will do very little damage to the structure itself due to the concentrated nature of the explosion.

Weapons like the LASM or the SMAW have a delay fuse so it punches a hole through the wall before exploding, greatly increasing damage within the room. The hole will still only be about as big as the rocket though with little other structural damage.

The only way to make a man sized hole in a wall is to use general high explosive, and quite a lot of it unless you set your charges carefully. Anti tank weapons just aren't designed to do this.

Well I can only go on my knowledge of modern weapons Im afraid - WW2 is not my forte.

Perhaps the crude nature of the WW2 HEAT weapons failed to properly concentrate the explosion and so it had more of a general HE effect? Certainly those weapons are about the same size as a Carl Gustav or RPG but their penetration was less than a third of the modern weapons (according to wikipedia)