An issue with the editor?

Dr Matt Lamb

Either there is an issue with the editor (or I am just being slightly slow here)!

I am trying to design a unit set which uses NATO symbols and has a different coloured infantry, tank, etc symbol for the major nations (brown for us Brits, Green for the US, Red for the Russians, etc- I know the flag indicates the nation but I would like different coloured counters as well). So I have messed around the with the rules editor and created sub-rule groups of British forces, German forces and so on.

However, when I go into the editor (or the game set up) and try to get the British to use sub-set 1 and the US sub-set 2 and the Germans sub-set 3, etc it doesnt work. You select the US as subset 2 but when you go to the Germans and try to select 3 it sets that at 2 and re-sets the US as 1.

I am sorry if I havent explained that well but is this a problem or am I missing something.

Also on the editor how do you change the name of units you have created (not in the game but in the editor)? If I am doing a Battle of the Bulge scenario and I want to rename a unit the 1st SS Panzer Division how do I do it? If I go to properties and click on a unit to change it the game crashes.

I am also trying to develop a unit set where the units take much longer to build but which are much more durable. What I find is that the human and the AI churns out dozens of differerent units (and you sometimes see an AI player with dozens of units just lined up in the middle of nowhere whilst leaving key cities unguarded or guarded by fighters) which then leads to micro-management whilst I feel that fewer, stronger, more durable units would work better. So, an infantry with a strength of 10 rather than 2. From playing around with this combat lasts much longer and seems more realistic. It also gives the player time to retreat units for repairs. However, the AI doesnt seem to repair (or indeed upgrade in some cases) its units. Therefore, to make this unit set not give the human a greater unfair advantage over the AI, the AI has got to start repairing its units.

Finally, could you introduce and autoname function for groups as well as units. It would be nice to gather together your 3 infantry units and that group be called "3rd Army" or whatever automatically.

I am trying to design a unit set which uses NATO symbols and has a different coloured infantry, tank, etc symbol for the major nations (brown for us Brits, Green for the US, Red for the Russians, etc- I know the flag indicates the nation but I would like different coloured counters as well). So I have messed around the with the rules editor and created sub-rule groups of British forces, German forces and so on.

However, when I go into the editor (or the game set up) and try to get the British to use sub-set 1 and the US sub-set 2 and the Germans sub-set 3, etc it doesnt work. You select the US as subset 2 but when you go to the Germans and try to select 3 it sets that at 2 and re-sets the US as 1.

Hm. I'll have to check if there's a bug there. There might be.

Also on the editor how do you change the name of units you have created (not in the game but in the editor)? If I am doing a Battle of the Bulge scenario and I want to rename a unit the 1st SS Panzer Division how do I do it? If I go to properties and click on a unit to change it the game crashes.

You should be able to either select the unit + press "properties", or double-click the unit. At the top of the window is a section for the unit name. I didn't see the crash that you're talking about. Are you using a custom ruleset?

I am using a custom rule set. I have tried selecting the unit in the editor and then clicking 'properties' (in the same way that you would rename a city) but it crashes. The same when you click the unit so that it comes up in the bar at the top of the screen- I double click that and it crashes there too.

I am using a custom rule set. I have tried selecting the unit in the editor and then clicking 'properties' (in the same way that you would rename a city) but it crashes. The same when you click the unit so that it comes up in the bar at the top of the screen- I double click that and it crashes there too.

Strange. I tried it again, with a few variations, but it doesn't crash. Maybe we're doing something slightly different. I'm opening the map editor, switching to scenario with two players, switching to the first player, placing a destroyer, then double-clicking the destroyer (or double-clicking it on the unitbar or selecting it and pressing 'properties'). I wonder if it has something to do with your rules - since you're using a custom ruleset. Does it crash when you use the default rules?

Ah. You're right. The unitsubset was getting changed back to the first value. Fixed in the next update.

Strange. I tried it again, with a few variations, but it doesn't crash. Maybe we're doing something slightly different. I'm opening the map editor, switching to scenario with two players, switching to the first player, placing a destroyer, then double-clicking the destroyer (or double-clicking it on the unitbar or selecting it and pressing 'properties'). I wonder if it has something to do with your rules - since you're using a custom ruleset. Does it crash when you use the default rules?

Yes, I had a play. It works ok with the default rule-set. You can double click on them in the bar at the top and re-name them. However, do the same with my custom ruleset and it crashes.

Yes, I had a play. It works ok with the default rule-set. You can double click on them in the bar at the top and re-name them. However, do the same with my custom ruleset and it crashes.

Could you send me a copy of your custom ruleset? I'll try it with your file.

I have just sent it.

I took a look at your file, and figured out why it was crashing. You've got the rules setup so that the default militia unit is "militia" (just like in the official rules), but you've got no unit named "militia" in your rules. I fixed the code so that it won't crash when this happens. (That fix will be in the next update.) But, in the meanwhile, you can avoid this problem by either removing "militia" from the militia list, or creating a militia unit. Also, the AI was getting a little messed up because you've got no air-units in the rules. I fixed this glitch in the code, as well, but I don't know if it will cause problems for you in the meanwhile.