Anyone not accept Vichy offer?

I've tried a few times as Axis not accepting the Vichy offer, but it has always ended up poorly. The French Medi fleet always stops any sort of amphib assault I can mount on Algeria, and the Italians aren't much help. Bulgaria, Romania and Hungaary don't want to join with France still in, and now Italy DOW's on Greece! I have no land bridge there!

Anyone ever emply a sucessful "No Vichy" strategy"? I'm thinking the only way would be to put off capturing Paris, take Marseilles and somehow take Algeria before taking Paris . . .

I've done it a number of times now with good results.

Basically, don't enter Paris until you've got Algiers encircled. I tend to use two German armies together with Rommel and an Italian corps. As soon as Italy enters transport across Rommel and the two armies from Milan and then move on Tunis.

Simples... :-)

Franco does join in at a cost of 800 MPP which is good as you then get an early jump on Gibraltar and receive an extra tank unit.

You get to keep Algiers, Tunisia, Syria and Madagascar plus territory in the Western hemisphere, if I remember rightly.

On the down side the French puts a corps in Hanoi when you decline the Vichy offer, which is not really a major problem for the Japanese anyway.

The trick is to get the balance right between taking all of France, Sealion and Barbarossa. Not so simples... :-(

That is actually very interesting Grong and it would be useful to understand why that happened. I captured Algiers and Paris at the same time today and Franco did offer to join me. So I'd say its either the diplomacy you mentioned or that you did not have a unit stationed in Algiers, which I think could also be a requirement.

There was a German army in Algiers so it wasn't that. Maybe a bug?

If you are not certain to get DE 503 offered then I don't think it's worth the hassle of taking all of France.

You'll then have spare units to defend the Eastern front and also to take the Baltic states before the Russkis do...

Spain has to be at 30% for Franco to consider joining the Axis, so this is the reason why Spain hasn't joined in this case.

However, as Spain starts the 1939 World At War scenario at 40% Axis, I'm intrigued to see that Spain has gone down to 26% in your game. Providing it is this scenario you're playing and not a mod, then it would appear that either you've done something to annoy Franco, or the Allies have invested in diplomacy?

Just taking a quick look at the conditions for DE 503, if France has surrendered, Axis units are in Algiers and Spain has a mobilization % >= 30 towards the Axis then the DE should be presented.

" France has surrendered, Axis units are in Algiers "

Does this mean that DE 503 will fire even if there is a Vichy France? ie if *Vichy* Algiers is taken?

• 6 years later...

Just started replaying the game and I was looking back at some old posts and found this one on Franco joining if Vichy isn't formed. I don't do any looking at scripts, modifying or anything of the sort. I just play when I have a few extra hours to burn. Is this scenario still in play or has it been written out with updates? If it is still in there I'm gonna have to give it a try next game.   :) 

• 2 years later...

It does feel a bit gamey, but, yes, the best solution seems to be to use the Italians to attack and conquer Tunis and Algiers while using the Germans to knock out all of the French armies except the one in Paris, gaining experience and avoiding excess attrition from French counter-attacks. Hold off on actually taking Paris until the Italians are in place. Once the Italians reach Algiers, you can enter Paris the same turn, and refuse Vichy (they will still graciously offer to 'safeguard' their North African colonies). You get the gold, and you get Spain, and you maintain control of Italian Northwest Africa. This causes a delay of a few months in when France surrenders and it means that you will not be able to put pressure on Egypt, but it seems worthwhile to me -- who needs Egypt when you can take Algiers, Paris, Madrid, and London? Let the British cross the desert wastes one garrison at a time instead of shipping German tanks out to the middle of nowhere.