Auto-Naming Question

Brit

I just added an auto-naming feature to the game. When units get created, they get named automatically. The naming system is based off the unit type and the nation who owns it. For example, when the US builds an aircraft carrier, it might be named the "USS Enterprise", but when Japan builds a battleship, it might be named the "Hyuga".

Now, here's where I'm asking for input: when ground and air units get created, they are named things like "45th Infantry" or "82nd Armor" (or "82nd Panzer" for the Germans). The question is: what are alternate names that could be used for ground/air units based on their country of origin? Right now, it's Nth Infantry, Nth Airborne, Nth Artillery, Nth Armor, and Nth Squadron (for air units). I was going to use "Nth Kampfgruppe" for German Infantry, but that's not quite accurate. Is "Nth Luftwaffe" okay to use in place of "Nth Squadron" for aircraft? Are there foreign terms I could use to add some flavor to the naming system?

Some information regarding Norwegian type names.

First of all, Norwegian ordinals are written with the numerical followed by a single dot. E.g. "1st" is "1.", "2nd" is "2." etc. Second, we always use the echelon so e.g. saying "1st Infantry" or "3rd Armor" in Norwegian sounds very strange, but what the heck. :)

Militia 	- Milits

Infantry	- Infanteri

Paratroopers	- Fallskjermjeger

Artillery	- Artilleri

Flak (any type)	- Luftvern (an anti-air vehicle could be "Mekanisert luftvern", i.e. mechanized anti-air)

Tank		- Stridsvogn

Missile Launcher - Missilkjøretøy (? no good Norwegian word, we would probably use the English term Missile Launcher)

Missile		- Missil (sometimes Rakett from Rocket)

Medium Range Missile - Mellomdistansemissil (or Mellomdistanserakett)

Nuclear		- Nukleær, but in regards to weapon we mostly use Atom, e.g. Atombombe (atom bomb)

Cruise Missile	- Kryssermissil

Drone Missile	- Dronemissil (?)

Zeppelin	- Luftskip

Biplan		- Dobbeltdekker

Fighter		- Jagerflyskvadron (Actually Jagerfly but here it will sound much more correct to add "squadron" in Norwegian)

Jet Fighter	- Jagerflyskvadron (Actually Jetjager, but we would still use "Jagerflyskvadron")

UAV Fighter	- Fjernstyrte Jagerflyskvadron

Tactical Bomber	- Taktiske bombeflyskvadron

UAV Tactical bomber - Fjernstyrte taktiske bombeflyskvadron

Bomber		- Strategiske bombeflyskvadron

UAV Bomber	- Fjerntysrte strategiske bombeflyskvadron

Satelite	- Satelitt

Attack Satelite	- Angrepssatelitt

Transport	- Transport

Destroyer	- Jager (but Destroyer is also used)

Submarine	- Ubåt

Cruiser		- Krysser

Battleship	- Slagskip

Carrier		- Hangarskip

Examples:

1. Infanteri

28. Stridsvogn

331. Jagerflyskvadron

63. Luftvern

Regarding ship names; we use KNM instead of HMS, e.g. "KNM Sleipner". For a list of Norwegian warships you can check out http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_over_den_Kongelige_Norske_Marines_skip

Feel free to contact me directly if you want more info or have questions.

Some information regarding Norwegian type names.

Regarding ship names; we use KNM instead of HMS, e.g. "KNM Sleipner". For a list of Norwegian warships you can check out http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_over_den_Kongelige_Norske_Marines_skip

Feel free to contact me directly if you want more info or have questions.

Okay, I updated the naming file to include some of this. I did have questions about the ship names. Your link above has names of ships, but I can't tell what kind of ships they are. Here's the way that naming works -- the names are taken from a file called "UnitNames.txt" in the Data directory. The [100NUMBER] means "use a random number from 1 to 100". The unit categories are used in assigning names. The Official 1900-2030 ruleset uses these categories:

Infantry, Paratroopers, Artillery, Tanks, AntiAircraft Weapons

Fighter Aircraft, Tactical Bombers, Strategic Bombers, Transport Aircraft, Spy Planes, Satellites, Missiles

Transports, Submarines, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, Aircraft Carriers, Freighters

Here's what I have for the Norwegian names so far:

*Flag=Norway

*Category=Infantry

[100NUMBER]. Infanteri

*Category=Paratroopers

[100NUMBER]. Fallskjermjeger

*Category=Artillery

[100NUMBER]. Artilleri

*Category=Tanks

[100NUMBER]. Stridsvogn

*Category=AntiAircraft Weapons

[100NUMBER]. Luftvern

*Category=Fighter Aircraft,Transport Aircraft,Spy Planes

[100NUMBER]. Jagerflyskvadron

*Category=Tactical Bombers

[100NUMBER]. Taktiske bombeflyskvadron

*Category=Strategic Bombers

[100NUMBER]. Strategiske bombeflyskvadron

*Category=Submarines

KNM Ula

KNM Utsira

KNM Utstein

KNM Utvær

KNM Uthaug

KNM Uredd

S[100NUMBER]

If you have any suggestions for Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships, or Aircraft Carriers, let me know. Right now, those ships will simply use a random name out of the default names section. You can either send me back a comment on this thread, or you can open the file and start tweaking the names yourself - and then send them to me when you're happy with the naming scheme, and I'll include the updated file in the next update.

Since we've never had battleships or carriers, I took the liberty of inventing some names. :) I also changed a few other tings. This works well enough:

*Flag=Norway

*Category=Infantry

[100NUMBER]. infanteri

*Category=Paratroopers

[100NUMBER]. fallskjermjeger

*Category=Artillery

[100NUMBER]. artilleri

*Category=Tanks

[100NUMBER]. stridsvogn

*Category=AntiAircraft Weapons

[100NUMBER]. luftvern

*Category=Fighter Aircraft

[100NUMBER]. jagerflyskvadron

*Category=Transport Aircraft

[100NUMBER]. lufttransport

*Category=Spy Planes

[100NUMBER]. spionfly

*Category=Tactical Bombers

[100NUMBER]. taktiske bombeflyskvadron

*Category=Strategic Bombers

[100NUMBER]. strategiske bombeflyskvadron

*Category=Aircraft Carriers,Battleships,Cruisers

KNM Norge

KNM Eidsvoll

KNM Tordenskjold

KNM Harald Hårfagre

KNM Bjørgvin

KNM Nidaros

KNM Odin

KNM Thor

KNM Frøya

KNM Mjølner

KNM Brage

KNM Viking

KNM Sleipner

KNM Sverd

KNM Øks

KNM Skjold

KNM Hammer

KNM Kniv

KNM Kong Sverre

KNM Kong Olav

KNM Rjukan

KNM Storm

*Category=Submarines

KNM Ula

KNM Utsira

KNM Utstein

KNM Utvær

KNM Uthaug

KNM Uredd

*Category=Destroyers

KNM Draug

KNM Troll

KNM Garm

KNM Sleipner

KNM Gyller

KNM Æger

KNM Svenner

KNM Stord

KNM Oslo

KNM Bergen

KNM Trondheim

KNM Stavanger

KNM Tromsø

KNM Ålesund

KNM Svalbard

KNM Harstad

KNM Agder

KNM Lafjord

KNM Pil

*Category=Transports

TS-[100NUMBER]

Since we've never had battleships or carriers, I took the liberty of inventing some names. :) I also changed a few other tings. This works well enough:

Thanks. Just added them to the unit-names file.