1938 Calm before the storm

hi,

im new to strategic command and i fancy tryin this mod as it improves on the default map which i feel is to cramped. does this game map cover the entire world and what media files do i need to download as explained on page one of this thread?

cheers.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a game with a friend whom I have played with for 30 years. He is the Master of the exploit. He will literally play 15 games hotseat against himself to figure out exploits.

Well he has! In our game he had italy declare war on France and invaded with the Germans through Italy and took out France. England did not join, or even really move toward war. Then he attacks england, and takes it out, Canada , and Eygpt could have cared less.

Russia did get purturbed by all of this and in time did declare war, still we did not have a common border , and I was under prepared. He invades Poland finally and I poor in Russin units, who get ZERO supply assisting the Pole so I pull back.

Only when he advances into Russia does the US get upset and declare war.

Canada, has sworn Swiss nuetrality in this game.

The random events are FANTASTIC, as two game will never play the same.

But there are certain political certainties that need addressing.

I am playing version 2.2. The decision event for looting Paris still looks funky. The decision comes up with no text at all. It does work though.

The French ports are stuck at 5 because they are only at 50% efficiency. Even though your script makes them German they still carry forward the efficiency of 50% for occupied France. I don't know if the efficiency can be set by a script but this would be the solution or setting occupied France to a higher efficiency.

Another weird AI thing happened yesterday. Two British battleships sailed through the Danish straits and attacked a German cruiser in the Baltic. At the time Sweden and Norway were Axis allies but Denmark was still neutral (though leaning toward the Axis). Seems like a gross violation of Danish neutrality a la the "Altmark incident".

Great mod! Doesn't look like I'm going to get bored anytime soon,:D

In my ongoing game (coming v2.3) i have supply 8 in all french ports efficiency 80%, same for Dutch port, 5 and 50% for Belgium port, i will add rail there, i am not sure how to get Norwegian supply to more than 5, since i have added rauil from Oslo to the ports, is the sea disturbing it?

Norway's ports will not upgrade past 5 because they are not linked to Germany's capital via rail. There would have to be rail extending from Berlin through russia, finland, and sweden to reach Norway's capital. And then the rail would have to extend to the ports. It may be too much to do to achieve the 8 supply Norwegian ports.

Well, I found the real reason why my U-boat bases were staying at 5 instead of going to 8. Since I did not attack through the Benelux countries I had no rail line from France back to Berlin. Sorry for the unintended misinformation.

The map is missing a lot of historical rail lines which were double track/high traffic lines. I'm assuming they are missing as part of a deliberate design decision to limit supply across Europe and North Africa.

Somewhere I have a map of all the double track rail lines in Europe but I am not sure where it has gone to...too many intervening moves:(.

A good source is the National Geographic map of Europe and North Africa. It is an equal-area projection which makes it ideal for map making. The best one is the one dated 1940 or 1939. It accurately shows all of the prewar boundaries.

There is a copy of that one on the National Geographic CDs but it cannot be printed or copied except by screen capture. You might be able to find it on line as well. You can eye-ball it here:

http://www.maps.com/map.aspx?pid=15714

The English Navy was 8x bigger than the German Navy, the American Navy was bigger than the English and Japanese Navies combined. But in the same game that I am playing VS my exploit master friend There are German ,Battleships, Cruisers, destryers, and Massive quantities of u-bouts surrounding my USA ports. USA only starts with 1 Battleship, 1 Cruiser, and 1 Sub.

Yet it was easily 16times the size of the German Navy.

You may ask where is the Royal Navy. Trapped in the Med, after the conquest of england, and Spain.

Please do not get me wrong this is an OUTSTANDINGLY FUN Scenario. It needs a little more fine tunning.

I would think it is more balanced with a human opponent than vs the AI. The AI cheats a little but is also fairly predictable. One thing I really like about this mod is the random variants. This keeps the game from running into a perfect plan rut.

Global conflict: 1938 Calm before the storm v2.3

-----------------------

Changes in v2.3

Fixed MPP text in decision script

Lowered trigger to 25% (from 50 and 100) for Axis raiders in supply scripts, also lowered impact to 1 for cruisers and 1-2 for Battleships

Changed Allied major for Ethiopia to USA

Added a few German unit scripts that fires if Norway is Axis

Named French ships

Added more names to British ships and removed some also

Added names on German cruisers (Emden, Cologne, Schlesien, Nurnberg)

Added decision script and matching unit scripts for Italy to get one air fleet

Increased German armies soft defense to 3 (from 2)

Fixed position in UK unit script for Kenya

Added mobilization_1 scripts if Axis attack France and UK, then UK, France, US, Sudan, Egypt, British Africa will react

Fixed faulty Surrender_1 script

Added Mobilization_3 script for Romania and a image of Ion Anotenescu

Lowered Romanian mobilization with 5% down to 35%

Added more rail in western europe

Added 1 Italian army to the map

Changed names on Italian units and moved some also

Fixed ownership of Italian decison script

Fixed text in German atomic bomb development script, faulty positions was given

Added decision script and matching convoy script for Portugal to ship tungsten to Germany

Added decision script and matching strength script to perform Op Weserubung if Norway is leaning to the Allies also

Added decision script and matching strength script for Operation Sea of Azov

Added German infantry division to production queue for March 1942

Added German unit script for 2 divisions sent to Finland and Norway

Increased USA´s navy´s build limits with many surface ships and added some to the production queue

Increased USA´s navy´s build limits with 2 more tanks

Added von to Kleist´s name

Changed Kleist Panzer from strong corps to tank army

Changed some German unit script from panzer divisions from 12 to 13 in strength and the same for panzer corps

Added US unit scripts to activate coastal defense if Axis ships is too close to ports

Added baltic partisan uprising strength scripts

Increased strength of Ramcke paratroopers in German unit script from 5 to 11

Adjusted size of some images

• 2 weeks later...

Global conflict: 1938 Calm before the storm v2.4

-----------------------

Changes in v2.4

Changed Italian CSIR from army to corps

Added Italian East African submarine on the map

Fixed spelling on Italian East African unit Southern Sector

Changed names on some Italian East African and Italian divisions

Added CSIR to German unit script for Operation Barbarossa

Added decision scripts and matching unit, strength and belligerence scripts for Italy to attack Kenya

Added decision scripts and matching strength scripts for UK to attack Italian East Africa

Lowered German attack bombers build limits from 4 to 3

Added 1 German fighter to production queue in april 1939

Added 1 fighter to Lithuania

Increased USSR navy

Increased build pool for all baltic counties to 3 divisions and 1 militia, also added a few more units to the map for the baltic countries

Added German unit script for Division von Broich to arrive in Tripoli 1942

Changed spelling on a few German unit scripts

Changed one German unit script from division to paratrooper

Added 1 Hungarian army, 1 Romanian and 1 Romanian corps linked to Fall Blau German decision script

Added a few pop-up scripts

Added Kiev to USSR capitals

Added Fortress Kreta as German militia

Changed HQ´s to have some defense value

Increased experience to 12 for one German unit script

Changed names on Italian tank formations

Added Italian decision script and matching unit scripts

Added condition for Bessarabia decision, that Romania shall be axis not activated

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I've also been trying to fix the Reichskommiseriat Ukraine option. When I spend all those MPPs nothing really seems to happen except the Soviets get a couple of Ukrainian reds. There are still partisans showing up in the Ukraine despite the existence of the Reichskommiseriat Ukraine. I'll post if I find anything worth mentioning unless. of course, you have already fixed it.

Thanks again for a great mod that continues to challenge me no matter how many times I play it.:):cool: