1938 Calm before the storm

Hi Mats

while playing on (with V1.2) I realized that I think you must overthink the u-boat war! When some of my axis subs occupy a convoy route, they usually damage for around 9-13 MPP's (at level 1), but given the fact that (depending on season) all majors get between 200-2000 MPP's per turn, this is completely ridiculous and never worth the effort.

I think I will leave out V1.3 and wait for V1.4.

I will now go on testing on V1.2.

cu

Sami

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Canton66.

Here is masterclaude. Go in the Germany country data at unit combat target data where you will see MPP RAID MULTIPLIER for all the ships and for bombers. If you want further refinement you can go in the research window at ADVANCED where you set the upgrades values. There you have subs diving % and increments %. The latter applies, if i am correct, to diving percentage only but it might also apply to mpp raid multiplier but i'm not sure. Mr. Cater could clarify this matter. Hope this help!

Like Samiclaus I'm presently testing your version 1.2. Is it still relevant with all the substancial changes you made or you about to make for 1.3 or 1.4?

masterclaude

SC-WWII Global

1938 Calm before the storm v1.4

-------------------------------

Ok, now i have uploaded V1.4 also, not many changes for this one, but important ones, thatĀ“s why it comes right away.

Changes for V1.4

Changed VARIABLE_CONDITION war entry for France (Thanks Samichlaus)

Added variant 10% war entry scripts for UK and France

Added VARIABLE_CONDITIONs to USSR Mobilization_2 scripts (Thanks Samichlaus)

Increased raid multiplier in Combat target data times 4 (40 for subs, 20 for other ships and 8 for bombers)

I took another swing at it, this time with v1.2.

It is now September 1942. I am playing as Axis, +1, 50%

The US, German and Canadian scripts fired on the first turn, so obviously there is some extra MPP's flying around but even still here is some more feeback for your MOD.

Western Europe:

Again everything followed it's natural course Poland - the Low countries - France and Denmark all fell. Spain joined early enough to help the invasion of France, while Norway unexpectedly joined the Allies! Once again I had a crash with Vichy, but the 2nd try around everything went fine. It's a matter of chance it seems. Operation Seelowe was cancelled, and Portugal and Vichy both were conquered at later dates with very little reaction from other nations. The other Vichy nations should probaly have strong reactions against a betryal of Vichy France.

My submarines get slaughtered very early in the game but made a large comeback after France opened it's ports to the Axis. The Allies have almost totally swept the Atlantic over the last month however, as I became too ambitious on trying to keep American troops away from conquered shores. American landings seem immenent now.

Also the one unit script/invasion I think should be relooked over is the Invasion of Greece. Italy's stupidity and untimely DOW on Greece seems rewarding as no German units have to be spared from Barbossa and Germany actually gains a hold lot from the extra fully upgraded units, and from my experience Italy is certainly not ready to conquer them. Without this unit script, the attack on both Greece and Yugoslavia is a hinderance to Germany as it should be.

-- Notes: Decision events regarding the invasion of Spain, Portugal, and Vichy poped up even though all 3 nations were aleady conquered. I decided "No" but i'm certain unit scripts would fire where they should likely not if I had clicked "Yes."

North Africa:

Initially the Italians get spanked at Tobruk, and barely hang on. Italy can not wait for Rommel and Germany is foced to send troops and supply to Africa immediately after France falls. It has been a see saw battle ever since, the Axis have reached Cairo only to be forced back to Tobruk and back on the offensive once again. A very well balanced theatre I must say. The Allies remain in control of Egypt with armour and heavy air as of today. Italy as a nation is very weak, but a tag team motion with Spain has proven very beneficial.

Spain/Italy attack groups swept through the North African countries, (Tunisia, Algeria, Morrocco) with Italy earning the plunder. The MPP boosts help Italy immensenly but again the World just watches. Perhaps if colonies such as Free Belgium and the Free Netherlands reacted against this and joined the war (mainly to boost UK MPP) these non-historical agressions would balance out the game better.

East Africa:

After seizing Ethiopia, the Italians nearly lost every inch of soil in East Africa, but they have amazingly stormed back with the help of DOAK and now control British and French Somaliland, and have defeated Sudan. Their sights are now set on British Africa, and their is heavy fighting near Mombosa.

Middle East:

Extremely quiet, Syria/Iran annexed, and pro-axis coup quickly defeated. Turkey extremely close to joining this Axis.

Russia:

Their were no shortage of Russian unit scripts firing this time around. The Russians were at one point at 70 ground units. Still each city was just a hickup on my march to Moscow where I found myself in big trouble. I could not as hard as I pushed conquer Moscow in 1941, and in the spring of 42' the Russian's were pounding my strongest units, and I lost many armies and tanks. It was not until Fall Blau that I seized the oppurtunity to enter the city and force the Russians on the defence once more. Stalingrad still holds, and with the change in weather their is a slow march for my troops that are trying to seize Stalingrad. Even though the Russians are severley infantry depleted (just under 30 infantry units and some are partisans) The city will most likely hold until early 1943 behind impressive Air power and winter combat.

However with Moscow eliminated it seems that the march to the Urals will be met with little resistance as Russia concentrates on Stalingrad. It appears their are few units scripts that will help the Russians defend Sverdovsk. Ultimate victory in my eyes is winning a two-front war, and again I fear Russia will be crippled before the Allies put any pressure on Western Europe. I could be wrong, as a quick Russian rebuild over the winter could happen, but to truely balance this theatre I beleive Russian unit scripts may be neccessary in the towns between Moscow and Sverdovsk. Specifically a very large on in the Sverdovsk/Urals as soon if the Germans are even remotely close because this of course is the Russians last stand.

Again I hope this helps with balance issues and keep up the great work!

I want to add this Decision suggestion from HONCH:

Ukraine:

Once the Axis take Odessa, Kiev and Rostov they have the option of creating the Reich Kommisariat Ukraine. All Ukraine territory (except Crimea) is transferred to a new nation. General Vlassov HQ, a half strength army and fighter appear in Kiev. Odessa and Rostov both get half strength corps. It would cost the Acis MPPs to set it up but then negates all partisans on Ukraine territory.

But what shall be the drawback to not accept this?

The Germans need to pay a substansial amount of MPPĀ“s

Maybe have a trigger so the offer only occurs sometimes

Othervise i will have limited times the coming days, do not expect any update before the weekend at least but i will add more mobilization scripts like Crispy writes about obove.

A few more notes/suggestions:

October, 1942 v1.2

Stalingrad fell, and with it the last corps on the USSR map. After capturing the capital I removed fog of war, and the USSR has not a single, Divison, Corps or Army left, and only a HQ in production que. That's not to say they did not have units, they have an abundance of HQ's and Air.

Archangel could have a town, and a garrison protecting it. A single paratrooper can pull the plug on the UK's convoy route.

Murmansk could have a partisan script to recapture the unoccupied city.

A USSR only loop from Murmansk to the other side of Norway would be useful to actually use the Soviet Destroyers meant to protect convoy routes.

I also thought of an interesting decision event for USSR. After the fall of Moscow and Stalingrad the Russians could have the decision to destroy Pern and Ufa (indefinitley reduce supply to 0). This would leave Germany ultimately no choice but to take the long route around the Ural mountains as there would be no supply to cross through the Urals directly. The flip side of the decision is a loss of MPP's for the Russians.

Also the one unit script/invasion I think should be relooked over is the Invasion of Greece. Italy's stupidity and untimely DOW on Greece seems rewarding as no German units have to be spared from Barbossa and Germany actually gains a hold lot from the extra fully upgraded units, and from my experience Italy is certainly not ready to conquer them. Without this unit script, the attack on both Greece and Yugoslavia is a hinderance to Germany as it should be.

Why not making a decision event about the invasion of Greece?

Samichlaus

Hi Mats

playing V1.4 now. I did everything to please the British, France and the US. (with the exception of the "Anschluss" I denied every action that could anger the allies. England declared war (VARIANT-AI) before France. Never attacked Poland (the Russians nevertheless reminded me I should garrison Koenigsberg AND Warsaw, although I never attacked Poland and am therefore not in possession of Warsaw). It's early 1941 now and the US have dowed Germany on december '40!

Italy never did any "evil" thing in Ethiopia and they are defending Mogadishu with the help of the DOAK. Russia has joined allies two or three turns ago and I easily took Odessa. France fell in August '40, Vichy installed.

It's a little too early to draw any conclusions about V1.4 and I'll have to go on a little further.

Hope this helps a little for V1.5!

cu

Samichlaus

SC-WWII Global

1938 Calm before the storm v1.5

-------------------------------

Changes for V1.5

Increased map size vertically to 180x104

Fixed weather at one tile

Lowered US activation 3%

Lowered UK activation 1%

Lowered France activation 1%

Added Reichskommiseriat Ukraine in localization.txt

Changed bitmaps for Reichskommiseriat Ukraine

Added town of Archangel to the map

Changed USSR unit script for Sverdlovsk (added units, changed units and changed distance for condition position) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added USSR unit script for Sverdlovsk

Changed name of units in unit scripts

Removed one corps from German unit ā€œMaritaā€ script (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added Palestine partisan script

Added variable conditions for decision events concerning attacking Spain (Now Spain needs to be neutral or aligned to Allies for the script to fire) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added variable conditions for decision events concerning attacking Vichy France (Now Vichy France needs to be neutral or aligned to Allies for the script to fire) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added variable conditions for decision events concerning attacking Sweden (Now Sweden needs to be neutral or aligned to Allies for the script to fire)

Added variable conditions for decision event concerning attacking Iceland (Now Iceland needs to be neutral for the script to fire)

Added variable conditions for decision event concerning attacking Turkey (Now Turkey needs to be aligned to Allies for the script to fire)

Added decision script for Brazilian Expeditionary Force and matching unit script (Thanks Crispy131313)

Changed decision script for Vlasov to form ROA to instead form Reichskommiseriat Ukraine, changed, added Vlasov unit scripts & USSR unit script and added matching territory script

Added decision scripts with matching supply scripts for USSR to destroy Ufa and Perm

Fixed layout of decision scripts

Fixed spelling in Mobilization 1 script

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Vichy France (Algeria, Syria, Morocco, Tunisia, French West Africa) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Syria (Algeria, Saudi Arabia, French West Africa

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Iraq (Saudi Arabia)

Added mobilization_3 scripts for Axis attack on Vichy France related to decision event 63 (Algeria, Syria, Morocco, Tunisia) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Fixed text in Mobilization_1 script

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Algeria (Tunisia, Morocco, Free Netherlands, Free Belgium, French West Africa, Vichy France) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Tunisia (Algeria, Morocco, French West Africa, Free Netherlands, Free Belgium, Vichy France) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Morocco (Algeria Tunisia, French West Africa, Free Netherlands, Free Belgium, Vichy France) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Free Belgium (Free Netherlands)

Added mobilization_1 scripts for Axis attack on Free Netherlands (Free Belgium)

Added variable conditions for decision events concerning attacking Portugal (Now Portugal needs to be neutral or aligned to Allies for the script to fire) (Thanks Crispy131313)

Added mobilization_3 scripts for Italian annexation of Albania (France, UK, Greece, Yugoslavia)

Added 3 mobilization_3 scripts for US reaction on Italian aggression in Ethiopia

Added war entry script for Ukraine

Increased strength on some USSR unit scripts

Changed German unit script for Ukraine waffen SS

Changed German unit script for Vlasov to Ukraine nationality

Added 1 division to each unit script for Algeria, Syria, Tunisia & Morocco

Added German unit script for Ukraine waffen SS

Increased effect in strength script for Russian winter, also added new positions

Added partisan script for Murmansk

Changed cancel positions in garrison scripts

Added garrison script for Archangel

Added partisan script for Archangel

Hi Mats

here are some things I encountered playing V1.4 (as axis, it's summer '43 now).

As always (to test variants), I didn't do anything to anger allies (never at war with Poland so far, attacked France first and broke through maginot, conquered England then):

1. After the forming of Croatia, one of my armies is surrounded by Croatia (which is at 80% axis) and cannot move anymore anywhere.

2. I feel that at least at Lorient axis should have a harbour with more than 5 supply! This way all my subs have to go back to germany for repairs. Perhaps make a DE to build up a sub-port at Lorient?

3. There is an annoying pop-up that comes up every move that reminds me to strenghten my forces in France (although I occupied every hex where partisans could show up). It even pops up on AI turns (=hundreds of unnecessary clicks).

4. Operational movement into russia impossible (you can just OP-move to Odessa, even with air) most of the time.

5. Hess flies to Scotland even though I already conquered Britain.

6. After Pearl Harbour I get dowed for the second time by the US...

7. Allies establish bases on the Azores although I bought the Azores from Portugal by DE. Nothing happens fortunately...

Ok most of the above are minor things, but I still wanted you to know. Since you seem to like these big numbers in MPP's, apart from the sub-problem (that was slightly improved I think) I wonder if this makes oil-wells or industrial centers less important? What's the point in conquering Baku or Maikop when you get only some lousy points compared to the price you pay for the units?

Okay, now I will play on to see how long it takes to conquer Russia and then even maybe the US (I prolongated the game end time with the editor and also made every unit upgradeable for a decent price).

cu

Samichlaus

Hello, here comes some comments, thanks for the feedback!

1. This happened me also last time, but only for 1-2 turns, then Coratia and Montenegro joined the Axis, there is a war entry script for them.

2. You may be right about this.

3. There are 9 positions that need to be guarded, please check the pop-up in question

4. I do not know why this happens, anyone?

5. I will correct this.

6. Not sure about that one.

7. Well, since territory scripts do not have any conditions to set, i guess the teorritory events pop-up even nothing happens,s ince the Azores is not Portugese anymore.

I have many MPPs floating around since i anted minor cities and harbours to have some value also, i have added oil wells in Baku (and Iraq, Iran, Romania), maybe need to add some in Maikop also. I have also added more industrial centers in Ruhr area.

Ok, i guess that was it.

Thanks one more time!

Here are some more things I encountered:

1. I alredy conquered Iceland with one unit but after the defeat of Denmark (in '43) Iceland declared independency and my unit was gone and Iceland joined allies...

2. Norway early in the game joined axis (don't know why, didn't spend points on diplomacy).

3. Operation Tannenbaum comes always far too late. When I got the option my troops were already in Paris. I feel this option should pop-up as soon as the germans attack france otherwise it's too late and no more useful.

4. Unlike other SC2-scenarios Russia never occupies finnish territory and Finland so far doesn't do anything.

5. Russia never annexes baltic states so far (end '43).

6. Is it on purpose that some russian cities seem to activate their reserves several times?

7. Allied destroyers give my land troops a hard time. Is this realistic? In other games my destroyers hardly ever hit land troops.

8. Suddenly I CAN OP-move in Russia. I think this might have to do with the fact that Russia is being conquered from the bottom (Odessa) and OP-movement becomes available when I occupy the northern cities (not sure about that).

Ok, now I will go on testing...

cu

Samichlaus

Hello again Sami and once more you have found some good poins:

1. I do not know any way to get the Surrender_1 script to not fire if Iceland is Occupied, there are no condition to set, anyone?

2. There is a Variant script for this to happen

3. I have gone by the historical plans for Germany to activate Op Tannenbaum in September

4. There is a USSR decision for this, usually it fires

5. There is a USSR decision for this, usually it fires

6. Yes, some USSR cities have extra unit script for highest difficulty level

7. Not sure about this, need to check it.

3. I have gone by the historical plans for Germany to activate Op Tannenbaum in September

You should make it available as soon as Germany is at war with France. It was designed by the germans as a variant to occupy France by the south (as addition or in state of breaking through the Benelux!)

Will start to test V1.5 now...

Go on!

cu

Samichlaus

Hi Mats

Ok I finished V1.4 and encountered the last bugs/problems:

1. There is a norwegian coastal gun I bought, that behaves like a rocket (I can move and attack with it...).

2. I wonder what became of the "Uranverein" I invested early in the game. It's january '47 now (and I conquered the world...I mean the US and Canada, South America before). The US dropped the A-bomb on the Japs but nothing ever happened with my investments into the german A-bomb.

3. Are you sure that upgrading the fleets should cost that much?

4. The US didn't get tired to send amphibious assault boats on and on. Unfortunately always on the same path (so I had only to put some subs there and they would be running into them on and on).

Ok, I probably forgot a few things I encountered, but that's it for V1.4 to me. I will go on with V1.5, but probably will take some time off.

I encountered a bug btw, that isn't your fault: a russian fighter escaped into one of my cities. I was never able to attack it (because I owned the city). Strange, but I think this is a bug for Hubert.

cu

Samichlaus