First NATO screenshots are here!

After all, it is terribly filthy.

I know it was a joke and I did get it but it's a good prompt for me to say this. Since starting work on the NATO module, I have spent hours and hours examining the northern part of Syria in Google Earth and I have to say that it looks beautiful. I'd love to go on a walking holiday there someday. So much history as well. It's much more temperate than southern Syria. There are quite a few Syrians who are proud enough of their country's beauty to post lots of pics of the region which has helped with designing the maps. It's going to make for some interesting scenarios for the module. To date, I haven't seen one desert map.

I was surprised to find that I am one of those who are finding it very hard to get back into WW2 since discovering the complexities of Modern Era combat. For me, the NATO module is a far more exciting prospect than WW2. In particular, modern era German equipment is way cooler than the WW2 kit. Hopefully, Webwing will show some screenies of the German kit next...

Wow, first screenshots after less than one year of development *thumbs up*. I won't be overoptimistic, but from my experience I guess we can expect the release allready in 6 - 12 month from now :cool:!

x2 PT

Of all the middle eastern countries I have visited, Syria was the one I enjoyed the most. The country is beautiful, the people are very friendly and the food is fantastic.

As for history, it has some of the best ruins I have seen - Palmyra is spectacular and Krak des Chevaliers is a must see for any medieval enthusiast. Damascus and Aleppo are truly historical cities and not just for the Mosques and castles. You could spend a happy day just wandering around the streets and Souks of the old town.

As for 'temperate'

39CracdesChevaliers.jpg

Yep, thats Syria :)

I want a holiday...

It's just to bad that the French are not in the NATO module. They have some nice stuff, too. Seems to me more (or at least not less) realistic then Netherlands or Danish troops. But I suspect it would take BFC another year of development to create the models and TO&E for them, since the French share only few equipment with the other CMSF armies, AFAIC.

Nice Screenshots, can wait to see the Germans in CMSF ! :)

But will there be a view-distance fix coming with the NATO Module ?

You know the problem of trees that disappear in some distance (large maps, many units and objects). There should be a fix, this problem keeps me away from playing large battles in CMSF because these disappearing trees and bushes are so damn ugly and not good for the gameplay (what, there is a wood on that hill ?? ).

It's just to bad that the French are not in the NATO module. They have some nice stuff, too. Seems to me more (or at least not less) realistic then Netherlands or Danish troops. But I suspect it would take BFC another year of development to create the models and TO&E for them, since the French share only few equipment with the other CMSF armies, AFAIC.

This may be my lack of understanding, or chronic sleep deprivation recently but hasn't France only just rejoined NATO proper? They didn't have anything to do with Iraq 2 and isn't this set under similar circumstances?

Indeed, very nice screenshots!

I have a question about infantrymen in CMSF: as NATO will be out, we will have U.S., British, Canadian, German and Dutch soldiers. Apart from small arms performances, will there be other parameters making an infantryman from one nationality different from another? Something like doctrine, culture, training...?

Otherwise, the risk is to have a bunch of pixeltruppen differently textured (or modeled) that behave all in the same manner.

Indeed, very nice screenshots!

I have a question about infantrymen in CMSF: as NATO will be out, we will have U.S., British, Canadian, German and Dutch soldiers. Apart from small arms performances, will there be other parameters making an infantryman from one nationality different from another? Something like doctrine, culture, training...?

Otherwise, the risk is to have a bunch of pixeltruppen differently textured (or modeled) that behave all in the same manner.

I think BF have a policy of not modelling in nationality traits in troops performance and the tacAI. I believe those things are supposed to be modelled with troops exp, leader bonuses, motivation etc etc

Apart from small arms performances, will there be other parameters making an infantryman from one nationality different from another? Something like doctrine, culture, training...?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no National modifiers but only Steve/Charles can say this with any certainty. But don't despair because I believe equipment does make a HUGE difference. If you play a mission a couple of times as the US Marines and then sub in Brit units with identical training, morale and leadership modifiers, you'll surely find that the mission plays differently.

With regards to doctrine, it's possible to set the scenario's victory parameters to punish the player that is too gung ho about blowing up civilian buildings or doesn't give a stuff about his own side's casualties. I think you're going to find NATO quite a different experience fom anything you've seen before in CMSF.

hcroft:

LOL. That looks like Scotland. That's Krak de Chevaliers, yes?

PT- yeah the Photo is taken from a guesthouse on the other side of the valley in April 2006. After coming out of the Desert it certainly felt like Scotland!

I too am looking forward to the NATO module. For some reason I really want to play as the Dutch!

I'd personally put the Turkish army or the Western-aligned Iraqi army in before I did the French. Besides leveling the playing field a bit for Blue vs Red, it would also allow for some more plausible Blue on Blue stuff.

Happy May Day!

Any chance of a closer look at that Leopard (it was visible in the last screenie)?

Primary reason for these countries to be modelled is indeed that they share so much kit. If you do one of them you are so damn near to having the kit of the others it would be a missed opportunity not to model the rest.

Can't agree with you about the "realism" of Dutch troops getting stuck in. Surely both the Canadians and the Dutch have established their bonafides in international operations? Each have a trackrecord of deploying to the toughest areas.