Rules of thumb for combat damage?

I'm not very good at math (re. interpreting the combat equations) and was hoping to get some rules of thumb on how things like supply, readiness, strength, effectiveness etc, affect combat damage. For instance, 1 point of supply is perhaps worth X amount of dmg on average. Can anyone enlighten me on some possible way to see these relationships? I'm actually playing Weapons and Warfare but figure it's the same essentially for Global Conflict. Thanks in advance!

Another question for ya: In the beginning of Fall Weiss, I have a 10 Str Army with a readiness of 81% attacking a Polish Army with no experience, entrenchment or defense bonus. Since an Army's soft attack is 3, shouldn't the expected dmg be (.81*3)+/-1? I would think that the combat predictor at the top would have said either 2 or 3 depending on how it rounds. Instead it showed 4. What gives? Also, anyone know how the game deals with rounding?

Amadeus,

The only thing I can think of is the new combat consideration for applicable research levels but other than that it should be pretty much the same.

mgdpublic,

This might be the 25% blitz bonus if you have not yet moved the unit and for rounding the formula used is based on this:

Result = ((abs + 0.5).floor)

Another question for ya: In the beginning of Fall Weiss, I have a 10 Str Army with a readiness of 81% attacking a Polish Army with no experience, entrenchment or defense bonus. Since an Army's soft attack is 3, shouldn't the expected dmg be (.81*3)+/-1? I would think that the combat predictor at the top would have said either 2 or 3 depending on how it rounds. Instead it showed 4. What gives? Also, anyone know how the game deals with rounding?

Normal rounding I guess. You are almost right in analyzing the situation but in your example the experience of the attacking unit is important. I think it raises the expected dmg by 1 to 4. Or maybe the blitz bonus as Hubert said (when no experience).

The combat predictor shows first # attacker losses and second # defender losses. +/-1 means when a loss of 4 is expected either 3 or 5 really take place.

Amadeus,

The only thing I can think of is the new combat consideration for applicable research levels but other than that it should be pretty much the same.

mgdpublic,

This might be the 25% blitz bonus if you have not yet moved the unit and for rounding the formula used is based on this:

Result = ((abs + 0.5).floor)

I'm guessing that means rounding up? Ok Blitz bonus it is because it was the first shot of the war. Thanks for your help.

There are 2 terms that may transposed

Blitz and Readiness

Hubert means the readiness bonus I guess when first attacking before moving. A blitz attack is when first moving and then attacking. It is not the same. You only receive a 25% bonus when attacking first.

• 1 year later...
In the extras\docs folder of WaW ist a pdf called Science-of-SC2. There is a quite good explanation of the equations and game variables. Most things are the same for GC.

I can't find that pdf file.

I've checked the Strategic Command 2 - Weapons and Warfare Documents and the only document there is called "Strategic Command 2 - Weapons and Warfare Expansion Notes"

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&book_id=8&Itemid=297

Thanks for any help!

vonOben

I can't find that pdf file.

I've checked the Strategic Command 2 - Weapons and Warfare Documents and the only document there is called "Strategic Command 2 - Weapons and Warfare Expansion Notes"

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&book_id=8&Itemid=297

Thanks for any help!

vonOben

Check the Global Conflict installation folder (extras/docs) it should be there.

Please take a look at your installation directory for the game and from there in the 'Extras\Docs' folder.

For example, it might look something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict\Extras\Docs

Also, if you can tell us for which game you are playing that might help as well as some of the older games do not come with this file.

Hubert