Starting cities?

Kilroy Lurking

Brit Hi!

Really enjoying this game - first impressions and some feed back.

I am playing the 1940 rule set with, 1 opponent (AI), Maps 1800 x 1200, small continents and between 20-50% land - and the RMG always gives me and the AI two starting cities on extremely small island usually without any land resources....

These cities are always valued at 10. It would seem that Capital Cities should be rated amongst the highest...

Adding to the win conditions to include Capturing the enemy capital or some other "strategic" position would IMHO be worthwhile.

A small nit-pick!:

Artillery is too useful. In what I consider is a rather a gamey tactic, capturing all "Neutral" cities on a land mass is possible with only one artillery unit. It also moves to fast - I think that in the 1940 era artillery was towed (slowly, often by horse). Tank columns were often outrunning supporting artillery. Movement on par with infantry would be more realistic.

In this particular 1940 game introducing a dedicated AA unit and deleting the AA capability of artillery might also improve unit balance. (With AA Cruisers, maybe).

David

Hi, couple of ideas. The starting cities are set that way for an equal start. It really works well.

I agree about the artillery. But you can change it to whatever you want. I don't think arty should be capable of capturing cities or resources but opinions can vary. You can set it that way and make it so they don't attack militia.

Its all very well to say that the individual can set it that way, but there is some valid argument that the "official" rules should be the gold standard, and if they need some tweaking then maybe that should be done.

Every player playing some subtle variation on the official ruleset makes for a dilution of effort that means nobody is on the same page. Just IMHO, though I love the rule editor!

Rich, thanks for the pointer!

The trouble with (or great advantage) with Battlefront games is that one spend as much time modding, trying out different combos/tactics etc and keeping up to date on the forums as actually playing the games. Not to mention reading up on all those areas that the resident Grogs are so intimate with. Now it seems I have to delve into the depths of this computer (PC!) and learn the mysteries of the Editors and do some tweaking!

David

Brit Hi!

Really enjoying this game - first impressions and some feed back.

I am playing the 1940 rule set with, 1 opponent (AI), Maps 1800 x 1200, small continents and between 20-50% land - and the RMG always gives me and the AI two starting cities on extremely small island usually without any land resources....

These cities are always valued at 10. It would seem that Capital Cities should be rated amongst the highest...

Adding to the win conditions to include Capturing the enemy capital or some other "strategic" position would IMHO be worthwhile.

(nod) I think some other player had also suggested capital cities, as well.

A small nit-pick!:

Artillery is too useful. In what I consider is a rather a gamey tactic, capturing all "Neutral" cities on a land mass is possible with only one artillery unit. It also moves to fast - I think that in the 1940 era artillery was towed (slowly, often by horse). Tank columns were often outrunning supporting artillery. Movement on par with infantry would be more realistic.

In this particular 1940 game introducing a dedicated AA unit and deleting the AA capability of artillery might also improve unit balance. (With AA Cruisers, maybe).

Yeah, I know what you mean. This issue with artillery is something I've been meaning to address.