Unable to run in Windows 7

bugwar

I just got a 64bit windows computer, and installed the game.

Unfortunately, the OS says the application stopped running, and

listed an Exception Code: c0000096

I am running the program as the administrator with

Vista service pack 2 compatibility.

The game ran well on my XP machine.

Recommendations?????

Have you tried reinstalling windows?

When the game first came out I had XP. There was some bug somewhere and it kept crashing. It was so bad that I had to give it up and they gave me a refund. But after installing win7 I tried the demo again and had no problem, I repurchased So it's probably something in your install or a conflict with some other software.

Recommendations?????

Is there a Windows XP compatibility mode?

Also, is it crashing immediately when you startup the application? (Before you even get to the main menu?)

Is there a Windows XP compatibility mode?

Also, is it crashing immediately when you startup the application? (Before you even get to the main menu?)

Yes, there are several compatibility modes. I have tried XP, Vista, and running it with none.

In each case, it dies before arriving at any screen.

I am using both PC Tools Spyware Doctor and Avira Antivir Personal.

I haven't seen those before. A lot of these problems can be traced back to a conflict with the antivirus system. Is there any way to temporarily turn off all or part of your antivirus, just to see if things are still not working?

I haven't seen those before. A lot of these problems can be traced back to a conflict with the antivirus system. Is there any way to temporarily turn off all or part of your antivirus, just to see if things are still not working?

I turned off the antivirus/spyware applications, and the game still does not launch.

Recommendations?????

Okay, I did a google search on "Exception Code: c0000096". Some people have reported the same problem using Vista and other programs. Here's what one post says. This fixed his problem with another program:

"Go to the advanced system properties tab to the DEP settings page and add [Name of Program] to the exceptions list. DEP violation seems to be the reason Vista is terminating both BB and DP and this has worked for me."

http://www.breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1937&page=2

Have you tried turning on DEP for all programs and adding EOS as an exception ? Sometimes this is necessary because DEP may be interfering otherwise. Have you been able to license the program yet ? Do you get the license dialog box (if you haven't licensed yet) or does the error come up before that ?

My experience with Avira has shown no problems, but I may not have run it under Windows 7 yet. I'm not sure about PC Tools Spyware Doctor though. My experience with that software in the past was not a positive one.

Are you running any third-party firewalls like ZoneAlarm ? If you are, then it may have a piece of security software installed that could interfere - Browser Security Toolbar (a separate applet). This piece of software is also part of Kaspersky's anti-virus/security package and it causes quite a bit of grief for eLicense.

Have you tried turning on DEP for all programs and adding EOS as an exception ? Sometimes this is necessary because DEP may be interfering otherwise. Have you been able to license the program yet ? Do you get the license dialog box (if you haven't licensed yet) or does the error come up before that ?

My experience with Avira has shown no problems, but I may not have run it under Windows 7 yet. I'm not sure about PC Tools Spyware Doctor though. My experience with that software in the past was not a positive one.

Are you running any third-party firewalls like ZoneAlarm ? If you are, then it may have a piece of security software installed that could interfere - Browser Security Toolbar (a separate applet). This piece of software is also part of Kaspersky's anti-virus/security package and it causes quite a bit of grief for eLicense.

I tried turning on DEP and exempting EOS. No joy.

I was able to license the program. As near as I can tell, the program is installed. It just fails when I launch it.

I've noticed that the program is not in the Windows Control Panel area for uninstalling applications, which may or may not be significant.

I am running no third party firewalls that I know of other than the one Windows 7 has, and I've given permission to EOS to go thru.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot about this thread.

bugwar - have you added 'Runservice.exe' to the DEP exception list along with your entry for 'eos.exe' ? The 'c000005' error can often be related to DEP. As Chargin Smith says it can also be associated with video, sound and DirectX files.

I'm not aware of what DirectX/DirectDraw needs EOS has. I would assume that they would be completely covered by the DirectX that comes with Windows Vista and Windows 7. If not, it might be worth installing the DirectX 9.0c updates. These will not back-date your current DirectX 11 install, but it will add/update any files necessary for DirectX 9.0c.

I forgot about this thread.

bugwar - have you added 'Runservice.exe' to the DEP exception list along with your entry for 'eos.exe' ? The 'c000005' error can often be related to DEP. As Chargin Smith says it can also be associated with video, sound and DirectX files.

I'm not aware of what DirectX/DirectDraw needs EOS has. I would assume that they would be completely covered by the DirectX that comes with Windows Vista and Windows 7. If not, it might be worth installing the DirectX 9.0c updates. These will not back-date your current DirectX 11 install, but it will add/update any files necessary for DirectX 9.0c.

The game doesn't have any dependencies on Direct X, DirectDraw, or DirectPlay.

Thanks for the idea. I deleted the application some time ago..

That's too bad. :(

I downloaded the demo of the program. When I run it, I get as far as the first screen.

I select "Trial", and then after a second or two, Windows reports the application

stopped working. This happens regardless of DEP being off, or with it on and "EOS" and

"Runservice" on the exception list.

As for driver updates, I got the computer only a few weeks ago, and recently installed

the Dell recommended video driver upgrade. I checked with my sound card

manufacturer, and I have the latest Creative Labs audio drivers for my machine.

I downloaded the demo of the program. When I run it, I get as far as the first screen.

I select "Trial", and then after a second or two, Windows reports the application

stopped working. This happens regardless of DEP being off, or with it on and "EOS" and

"Runservice" on the exception list.

As for driver updates, I got the computer only a few weeks ago, and recently installed

the Dell recommended video driver upgrade. I checked with my sound card

manufacturer, and I have the latest Creative Labs audio drivers for my machine.

I asked Battlefront about this issue to see if they had any insight. Here's what they said:

"Some internet security programs mimick what DEP does without telling anybody, so they may need to be shut down, too. Unfortunately, sometimes it's tricky to figure out what exactly is blocking the execution. I would suggest that he posts to the www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. Ian is very good with getting to the root of these issues."