M707 Recom HMMWV

I've been playing Shock Force for quite some time, and I've always been struck by the complete uselessness of the M707 HMMWV given to recon platoons. I understand they want to stick to the proper TO&E, but I have seen no value in these units and would really like to know if they serve any other purpose besides being fancy unarmed HMMWV. Thanks in advance :)

Yes, they can be very frustrating. Do a quick internet search of the M707; note that it's whole purpose in life is that turret mounted optics package. In CMSF, you need to unbutton it to let the crew use the optics. Yeah, I know, that's not written anywhere. Next, you need to give them time to look around. So, park it in some distant corner, well protected. After several turns you'll start to find hidden enemies. It also works well to call in air/artillery.

At least, that's what I've been told.

Another good use is to send it up on point. When it goes "boom" you should have an idea where the enemy is. :)

KEn

Well, in the real world you can park them on a ridgeline, cover the humvee with branches, and watch the goings-on 5-6km+ away. So their capabilities shine somewhat beyond CM scale. At CM scale, a M707 is likely to attract lethal HMG fire from the far side of even a large map.

I do wonder just how optimal a whopping-big sensor box on top of a road-bound truck really is! In Europe, for example, LOS typically doesn't exceed 1200m. Sounds like something small that can be brought to the top of a tenament building would be far more useful than a pig of a truck.

So what you're saying is they have a kind of passive ability to spot units?

Not so passive, the sensors on the roof are fitting with some serious hardware, such as FLIR viewers and laser rangefinders/designators. The sort of eyes you might expect to find in a tank or a dedicated fire support vehicle.

I've always found the performance of these things fairly diappointing though, for the reasons mentioned above, and because they don't seem to be much better at spotting than anyone else.

I do wonder just how optimal a whopping-big sensor box on top of a road-bound truck really is! In Europe, for example, LOS typically doesn't exceed 1200m. Sounds like something small that can be brought to the top of a tenament building would be far more useful than a pig of a truck.

The LRAS3 can be taken off the real M707 and carried where ever you need it and then mounted on a tripod. It's a very nice bit of optics and it does seem a little under modeled in it's spotting ability.

I think somewhat recently the stryker and HMMWV based recon vehicles are starting to be supplemented by a M1117 based system that puts the optics on a mast instead of a hatch mount.

http://defense-update.com/products/k/knight.htm

The LRAS3 can be taken off the real M707 and carried where ever you need it and then mounted on a tripod. It's a very nice bit of optics and it does seem a little under modeled in it's spotting ability.

I think somewhat recently the stryker and HMMWV based recon vehicles are starting to be supplemented by a M1117 based system that puts the optics on a mast instead of a hatch mount.

http://defense-update.com/products/k/knight.htm

good video of the LRAS3

I agree that it's spotting ability might be undermodeled in the game. In the Taskforce Thunder campaign there is a good test scenario taking place on a long, very narrow map, where you are given two M707s and there are a tons of enemies in trenches on a distant hillside. I've tried placing the M707s everywhere to see if they have any kind of spotting bonus over other units in the scenario, such as Abrams and Bradleys, but found nothing significant. Additionally, one of my M707s is often hit and destroyed by recoilless rifles and it is not the other M707 that spots the rifle after it takes a shot, but a dismounted recon squad or another vehicle such as Abrams or Bradley.

I actually don't see a noticeable difference in spotting ability between most units in CM:SF, except for those with IR optics vs. no IR optics. The optics packages on recon and spotting vehicles do give a noticeable bonus to artillery and air support response times though.