What's Next

OK, ok I know its a bit early but I'd like the folks at 1C and Battlefront to start thinking of other tactical simulations from the East Front.

I'd like to suggest Smolensk/Yel'nya (July-Sept 1941). This is a very controversial battle in Barbarossa. A new study is just out by David Stahel (Op Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East, Cambridge Univ Press 2009) and another book Smolensk by Col David Glantz (due out soon). These authors and some others like B. Fugate have postulated that Smolensk/Yel'nya actually resulted in the defeat of Barbarossa by hollowing-out the Wehrmacht despite the effort and major, but not complete, success of Operation Typhoon in Oct and the gigantic encirclement at Briansk/Viaz'ma (over 1 million POW). Smolensk/Yel'nya stopped the forward movement of Army Grp Center for many weeks in prime campaign weather. Then Hitler decided to clear up the flanks to the north and south (Kiev).

I would suggest this as the Timoshenko Offensive. Perhaps 20th Army and as a matter of fact IR "GD" was involved here.

Before they start thinking about other simulations, how about perfecting this one? Between the bugs and the slide show effects, this game is far from enjoyable as is.

While i agree it should be fixed, the issues in regards to 'slide show effects' are only present in the campaign. They seem to be related to the insane amount of units on screen in the missions. I too have abandonned the campaign until it's sorted.

You can still get alot of enjoyment out of the game even without looking at the campaign. Take a quick look at the "simple editor" program (located in your MissionEditor folder within the Kursk directory).

You can design your own missions, with specific units/location/weather/support, all very simply (as the name suggests) and i've not had any issues with the frame rates when doing this.

I'm not too sure on the bugs that everyone else keep posting about, so i won't comment there - But personally i've still been enjoying this game thoroughly despite the campaign being unplayable.

EDIT - Oh and to stay on topic, i'd be interested to see more ToW games but as for the setting i'm not picky, so long as it stays focused on WWII it will have my attention.

After trying the campaign once, I gave up and have been playing using the Mission Generator. While the slideshow isn't there, I still get the unpleasant feeling that I've been ripped off to the tune of $45. Like buying a Dodge Charger with a hemi V8 and I can only run it on 4 cylinders. :(

After trying the campaign once, I gave up and have been playing using the Mission Generator. While the slideshow isn't there, I still get the unpleasant feeling that I've been ripped off to the tune of $45. Like buying a Dodge Charger with a hemi V8 and I can only run it on 4 cylinders. :(

That's understandable, but as others have said it will (hopefully..) be made functional in time - A year is a bit of an exaggeration (again..hopefully). That being said, i would say i'd still be playing it in a years time as i still play ToW 1/2 occasionally.

I'm still not really sure how this problem came about, my understanding was they used the same engine as ToW 2 Africa, which never had these fps issues. Though if i recall, the battles didn't have quite as many units on screen at once either.

Also just a reminder, the Mission Generator and Simple Editor are separate programs. The Mission Generator only allows you to throw together a generic battle, while the Simple Editor gives you alot more freedom.

It reminds me very much of the first release of Combat Mission. I think it took something like a dozen patches or so, and over a year of trial and tribulations before we had a really good WWII simulator. This is early days for TOW Kursk, and we need to be patient. I'm sure the powers that be are beavering away in the background working on fixes and ideas.

I've continued with the campaign, by reducing the graphic effects, and so far, it's just about acceptable. The campaign itself is well designed in my opinion, making huge improvements on Africa. I feel that they could have introduced some different units however, and added a few things like tanks ability to pop smoke. For a game trying to focus on reality, to leave out popping smoke, and the ability to unbutton crews, is just completely wrong. But like I said, it's early days and we are the early adopters. Patience is a virtue!

1C, BFC are welcome to my money as they produce excellent WWII games. They just need to stay focussed!

ps. can't wait for Normandy!