Ok in this case this is by design as Germany would only declare war if it was in the proper position to do so, and by your example above it sounds like this was the issue so if it had not taken France it would never DoW the USSR. Pretty much Germany was in trouble in that game ;)

Here's a related one: I attacked Russia with the Germans, but held off on bringing the Italians in because US entry was 4 points below 90% and I wanted to keep them out as long as possible (Japanese weren't ready at all). A Russian unit crossed the Polish border, and I was able to attack it with a couple of Italian corps that I was saving for garrison duty.

to Hubert Cater:

Can you remember the artillery-sound-bug I posted at March, 11 in the "Thoroughly upset no artillery units! They are the lynchpin of attacks or defense!"-thread?

I did how you said. The artillery sounds right now :) , but the Katyusha sounds like artillery-cannons now, not like a Katyusha :( .

Could you please fix this sound-bug with the next patch? Would be great for gamers that enable the "Soft Build Limits".

(PS: I always enable this because on the one hand it would be impossible to garrison many of the occupied cities, and on the other hand it makes no sense to me that I make lots of MPPs later in the game, being unable then to invest in new units because the limits are already reached. A big fat war-empire is always able to build new units, that's my opinion.)

This is a bit tricky as we don't actually use different sounds for each different nation and their corresponding unit types... so if you play with soft builds on, nothing wrong with that!, then if you would like the artillery sound then all artillery units need to be artillery and not rockets.

Right now the game uses special bitmaps for the Campaigns since we introduced the Rocket Trucks but if you just want to use the default artillery the easiest way to do this is to go to the Campaign subfolders once again and go to the Bitmaps folder. For example, if you want to change 1939 World At War, go to Campaigns\_1939 World At War\Bitmaps and rename all the unit files so this way the game will no longer use these but the default files which have artillery units.

For example, rename unit_sprites_3d.bmp to unit_sprites_3d_bak.bmp etc. You'll need to do this for all the unit sprite files as well as the silhouette files as well.

Thanks again, Hubert!

But I still hope you can fix it! I believe you will make it!

It's like yolo911 said: "I've never had a programmer or any one at a publishing company take a personal interest in my ability to enjoy a game. You have a lot of class."

What would the SC community be without you and the beta-testers! Good to have all you guys here! :) :) :)

I'm not sure I understand, Germany was at war with the USSR correct? Then why wouldn't your Italian units be able to attack the Soviet units?

Because they weren't at war with them, and hence couldn't cross the border. A DOW likely would have brought in the US before I had a chance for the Japanese to Pearl Harbor them. Now, it's possible I'm not reading the "independent DOW thing" correctly.

In this case it would still be normal as otherwise using Italian units on the German side of the USSR-German border could be a possible exploit, i.e. a Garrison unit that could never be attacked by the Soviet enemy on German soil.

In general terms we put rules in place to handle this type of situation and even though Italy is not at war with the USSR, since the Italian units are on German soil the USSR would be able to attack them (and vice versa) to prevent possible exploitations as described above.

The reasoning could also be viewed as the Italian units are volunteer Corps even though Italy is not officially at war with the USSR etc.