C++ Runtime error

bus

Pleas help!

I get Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error when I trying to launch ToW-2 Africa 1943.

My system settings are

System: Vista-32

Processor: 2.5 GHz Pentium Dual-Core

Ram: 4 GB

Graphic: GeForce 9600 GT

I don’t know what causing it since I have tried to follow the instructions on the ToW2 web page when you get C++ runtime error

Cheers

Niklas

Is this the full version or the Demo ? If it is the full version, have you been able to license the game yet or has it crashed before offering the license screen ? I assume this may refer to the 'msvcp71.dll' (499,712 bytes in size) and 'msvcr71.dll' (348,160 bytes in size), are these two files in your TOW2 root directory ?

You may want to uninstall the game and reinstall it. When you reinstall it I suggest right-clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as administrator" in the popup menu. Are you installing it to the default directory or a custom directory of your choosing ?

When you launch the game for the first time I HIGHLY suggest also using "Run as administrator". This is also useful for the campaign, so you may want to have this game "Run as administrator" all the time. To do that, right-click on the shortcut that you launch the game with and select 'Properties'. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and go to the bottom section labeled "Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

It’s the full game version.

I have tried to uninstall it and still I get C++ runtime error.

Is this the full version or the Demo ? If it is the full version, have you been able to license the game yet or has it crashed before offering the license screen ? I assume this may refer to the 'msvcp71.dll' (499,712 bytes in size) and 'msvcr71.dll' (348,160 bytes in size), are these two files in your TOW2 root directory ?

You may want to uninstall the game and reinstall it. When you reinstall it I suggest right-clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as administrator" in the popup menu. Are you installing it to the default directory or a custom directory of your choosing ?

When you launch the game for the first time I HIGHLY suggest also using "Run as administrator". This is also useful for the campaign, so you may want to have this game "Run as administrator" all the time. To do that, right-click on the shortcut that you launch the game with and select 'Properties'. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and go to the bottom section labeled "Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

Well,

When I install the game it runs to 99% of installation. It installs the game, DirectX and Adobe reader. When the installation comes to configuration I get C++ runtime error.

I have managed to register the game, but not to start. When I try to launch the game I get the same C++ message.

The demo works fine on my computer

Does the 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error' occur BEFORE the licensing window comes up ? Have you been able to license the game at all yet ?

I've seen the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" when the video hardware wasn't sufficient enough to run the game (using the Demo). I haven't explicitly experienced it with the full version. Your GeForce 9600GT should be sufficient to play the game, especially since the Demo worked fine.

Again, you are running the game as "administrator" by right-clicking on the shortcut to launch the game (or any of the editors or settings) and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, correct ?

Do you have any other Battlefront games on your computer that use eLicense and are currently licensed ? What anti-virus/internet-security programs are you running ? It's possible that you may need to enable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and set exceptions for the TOW2 programs and eLicense software. Here's our Knowledgebase article on setting DEP. Admittedly the instructions here for Windows Vista and Windows 7 aren't very accurate when it comes to getting to the dialog box, but otherwise they should work.

However, often when it comes to DEP, the game doesn't appear to run at all (it is instantly shut down). In your case the game/utilities appear to be attempting to run, but it runs into some sort of error launching the code. Have you fully updated Windows Vista lately ? I don't know what updates could be missing to cause this problem, but it is worth checking out. Do you know which Service Pack of Windows Vista is installed (you can find out by going to Start/Windows Menu > Control Panel > System - in here near the top it should tell you what Service Pack is installed) ?

From what you've said it sounds like you were successful licensing the game ("I have managed to register the game"). Do you have a "receipt.txt" file in your TOW2 directory (which would indicate true success) ? Does the "Runservice.exe" file exist in your '\Windows' directory ? There is also a "mmfs.dll" file that should exist in the '\Windows' directory that is necessary too.

I run the game as administrator, and I do have the original TOW game on my computer, which runs with no problem.

I also have the latest update on my system.

I going to check "receipt.txt"

I've seen the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" when the video hardware wasn't sufficient enough to run the game (using the Demo). I haven't explicitly experienced it with the full version. Your GeForce 9600GT should be sufficient to play the game, especially since the Demo worked fine.

Again, you are running the game as "administrator" by right-clicking on the shortcut to launch the game (or any of the editors or settings) and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, correct ?

Do you have any other Battlefront games on your computer that use eLicense and are currently licensed ? What anti-virus/internet-security programs are you running ? It's possible that you may need to enable DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and set exceptions for the TOW2 programs and eLicense software. Here's our Knowledgebase article on setting DEP. Admittedly the instructions here for Windows Vista and Windows 7 aren't very accurate when it comes to getting to the dialog box, but otherwise they should work.

However, often when it comes to DEP, the game doesn't appear to run at all (it is instantly shut down). In your case the game/utilities appear to be attempting to run, but it runs into some sort of error launching the code. Have you fully updated Windows Vista lately ? I don't know what updates could be missing to cause this problem, but it is worth checking out. Do you know which Service Pack of Windows Vista is installed (you can find out by going to Start/Windows Menu > Control Panel > System - in here near the top it should tell you what Service Pack is installed) ?

From what you've said it sounds like you were successful licensing the game ("I have managed to register the game"). Do you have a "receipt.txt" file in your TOW2 directory (which would indicate true success) ? Does the "Runservice.exe" file exist in your '\Windows' directory ? There is also a "mmfs.dll" file that should exist in the '\Windows' directory that is necessary too.

Is your 'receipt.txt' file possibly in the following directory:

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War 2'

If it is, then try to UNLICENSE the game and then RE-LICENSE it, but make sure to launch and run the game as 'administrator'. If necessary, turn off UAC (User Account Control) and see if that helps.

I can't find it anywhere on my computer.

Is your 'receipt.txt' file possibly in the following directory:

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War 2'

If it is, then try to UNLICENSE the game and then RE-LICENSE it, but make sure to launch and run the game as 'administrator'. If necessary, turn off UAC (User Account Control) and see if that helps.

You may need to do a search of the entire hard drive then. Typically it should either be in the actual directory for TOW2 or the 'VirtualStore' directory. If it is not in either I have no idea where it could get stuffed, but that file needs to be present for the game to be licensed.

No can't find it anywhere on my HD

You may need to do a search of the entire hard drive then. Typically it should either be in the actual directory for TOW2 or the 'VirtualStore' directory. If it is not in either I have no idea where it could get stuffed, but that file needs to be present for the game to be licensed.

Run the game as administrator was the first thing I try.

I suggest UNLICENSING your game and then either disabling UAC and/or running the game as 'adminstrator' (right-click and select "Run as administrator") and then license the game. The receipt file should be produced when you successfully license a game.

I have tried helpdesk...

OK, we've established that this copy of TOW2 North Africa 1943 is NOT a Battlefront version that uses eLicense or at least one that uses the system in the same way that we do. Thus there will be no 'receipt.txt' file.

The rest we will attempt to handle in the Helpdesk.

I am the helpdesk. I will pass you on to 1C's Support and they can examine your issue and see if they have any further recommendations. I'm unsure as to the exact cause of the Visual C++ runtime errors, so I'll have to defer to 1C's Support.

The installer you have is different from the one that Battlefront uses. That is one reason why I didn't understand the exact sequence of errors you were getting (licensing and running the 'options.exe' is not something the Battlefront installer does).