Hard Times in China

Well just started playing GC so maybe I'm just a bit bit ignorant of the game mechanics. But the following are really troubling me as axis.

- Japan can't do much in China. Not worth it as my loses are more than China by far. How does one take that Foochow?

- My Japan lvl 1 BB are taking 1 hit and usually doing nothing when bombarding FooChow??? That seems like a bug? Replacing a BB step is expensive.

- My CV seem to really suck trying to hit land units, once again CV air steps not cheap vs inf.

- So basically, it doesn't seem worth it to do anything in China but just hold?? What can Japan gain by trying to fight China? Just a lot of loses. What is the strategy for Japan then if China is a no go??

- What are SF for? Just tough inf?

- How are allies able to hit Axis Norway convoy? Is that with air?

- BTW only played like 3 turns so far :o

- Hoping to get some advice from all you PROs out there. Otherwise my PBEM opponents will be walking all over me by 41.

-HQ, surrounding, hitting.

-Hitting cities is hitting coastal defenses. They defend. So expect losses here and there when attacking a city.

-see above

-gain experience, keep the chinese occupied

-SF hit harder, but have a poorer defense than regular Infantry.

-Yes, with the Strategic Bomber

Little hint:

read the manual, or at least the entertaining parts of it, you are allowed to skip the editor part for now.

;)

The key to China is not to try too much at one.

First rounds buy tactical air every second turn.

Invest in infantry research.

Move most of the infantry to FooCho, do not attack in the north

except for attacking chinese HQs

Upgrade the movement for the units, fly the fighter to the south

and also the carriers.

Then hit with everythin FooCho. It may take 2-3 rounds.

Attack and withdraw the units, the move forward and attack with the units

in the second row. So you may be able to hit with 5-8 units + air at a turn

After FooCho falls train your carriers and you air-force on the HQs

you won't get any losses with those. Then slowly move forward at the south

moving expierenced units back an re-inforce the to 11 and 12 after some time

With the expierenced units you will get less losses and with the trained air

you can wipe out the chinese on after another.

Remove the higher value units like fighter and HQ to china and

garrison with some corps from Japan and other isles.

No need to re-inforce the garrisons, any weak unit will do.

For a short time, till reorganisation you may also leave some cities empty

since no partisans will show up there may be only damage.

But in the long time garrison will be necessary to avoird USSR entering

the war too soon.

Thanks!

What do I need to do with garrison in Manchu? Do I just need to garrison all cities with at least 1 unit (anything)?

What you need to do is read the manuel:D Foochow is rather easy to take not so with Chinese infantry in the mountains, the above posts are very accurate, I dont know if taking Foochow will do anything for the war effort but what the hell lets take it, 2 tacticle bombers a good Hq's unit and 2 infantry armies should do it quite easily bombardments wont hurt either by BB's but they will lose points. Leave 5 rated garrisons in all the cities that are consider dangerous to Stalin. If you dont take Foochow after these posts I suggest you replace yourself with a compentent leader :rolleyes:

Bo

Bo, much obliged and point well taken. :P

Just teasing, when you take Foochow please post it and then we will collectively all have a sigh of relief:)

Also make sure you garrison Foochow with a low level unit or you will have a nasty suprise there.

Bo

kirk, the one most important combination in SC when in the most difficult attacking circumstances, find your best HQ(highest rating, most experience, at 10 strength, in highest supply = 10) and make sure it is commanding(attachment) your best unit(s), the ones with the highest attack rating for that target(look at properties, combat target values), with the greatest amount of accumulated experience, highest morale and readiness, hopefully overstrengthed, and in the highest supply.

Use that unit(s) in the first assault, it is simply your "elite" formation.

And observe the potential combat results at the top of the screen, it will be + or - 1 from that possibility.

Wow thanks, great advice. Didn't know about the potential combat display. Thanks.

I'm still not able to take FooChoow as I'm waiting for the right forces. Although I was able to take Nanning with a SF that came in from the mainland. Chinese player had come out of city and was able to kill unit and force march to Nanning.

How much does Nanning hurt China?? and how much does it help Japan having?

Thanks!

It doesn't really hurt China, what it does, once you've taken Foochow, is set up a communication line(think logistics) to the south into French IndoChina and further.

You know logistics are the key to any conflict, for without good supply you cannot "power project" efficiently, its the same with SC and HQs are the key.:cool:

For lack of a better term China is a BITCH.

For me it was realizing that China just can't be overrun. It can be beat but not quickly. It required a slow and methodical battling over every city.

I constantly encircled a fortified point with at least 3 inf. units, with 3 alternating inf. units behind them so I can get 6 attacks per turn, supporting those units with one to two HQs depending on the terrain. Also supporting them with 2-3 air units, tactical bombers if possible. And for those cities close enough to the coast I hit them with my carriers.

My first half-dozen turns I didn't know that I could change carrier modes, so I'd been hitting the China units with fighter mode on. After I switched that mode to naval/tactical I was getting some hits. Upgrading carrier planes to long distance aircraft was helpful too for more reach.

Later I used my Japanese paratrooper unit to cut supply lines and to surprise Chinese HQs and inflict damage. Those boys did a helluva job.

I'm not certain but I one point a message pops up saying that China has formed 100 Communist Unit. At first I thought this meant that there was a unit named the 100 Communist. Now I think it means there's 100 individual units that get formed because I think I killed that many of those buggers.

Did someone say something about the lack of maneuver in this GC campaign? Just because the APs aren't as liberal and the map is smaller doesn't mean there isn't still operational maneuvering going on, reference Gypsy's above post. It may not be perceived as, but there is just as much finesse required in this version as the others and Hubert did remove the ZoC cost.

You definitely need to plan and use the appropriate force mix and sometimes an approach that is a bit atypical of past versions, kind of refreshing actually.:)

Did someone say something about the lack of maneuver in this GC campaign? Just because the APs aren't as liberal and the map is smaller doesn't mean there isn't still operational maneuvering going on, reference Gypsy's above post. It may not be perceived as, but there is just as much finesse required in this version as the others and Hubert did remove the ZoC cost.

You definitely need to plan and use the appropriate force mix and sometimes an approach that is a bit atypical of past versions, kind of refreshing actually.:)

For CHina it's really vital to check following rules:

1) Wait for NO-MUD Season

2) Have more than 4 Units around the assaulting city

3) Use first the Commandos as these reduce the readines

4) Use Armys later, and attention that there is space to retreat and forward other Armys ( look on the Roads: is there a road? to where does it go? is a unit behind? is there a space for retreating the front army?

5) if in the first turn it didnt work, WAIT one turn and rebuilt for assault! just let the Airfleet keep the entrenchment low.

THis helps taking at least 3 Chinese cities until Janary 41...:D

Hi-

Its a slug fest in China...

Foochow is not too hard, believe it or not...CVs, BBs to soften things up, then your amphib at start of game plus the corp near Foochow should do the trick in 1 or 2 turns...

But, it is a slug fest all the way through those mountains, valleys, streams, jungles..and of, course, Chinese!

Cheers...

Canada1