GC: Japs cannot attack Russia!!!

Finishing my first global conflict standard campaign as axis, the main thing that bothered me was, that after Germany was at war with russia, my japanese units were never able to join the fun and attack Russia. Even though (after barbarossa) I left all garrison cities in manchuria unoccoupied.

Then another strange occurrence: I was (as Japan) SOMETIMES able to attack russian units, f.e. in Egypt or Turkey. But I never could attack them elsewhere. I conquered Mongolia, Tibet, India and almost whole africa, but, as mentioned above, could never mop up eastern Russia. In fact, the game never considered Japan at war with Russia and I was no more able to dow Russia, because axis was already 100% at war with her.

Suggestions? Solutions?

Thx Sami

Sorry, but I can't understand or reproduce your problem. When you open "maps" -> "war map" you will see two little flags underneath the world map to the left (at the bottom of the window to the left). One is for Germany and one for Japan. Every major country is able to declare war individually now. For example: Germany can be at war with the SU while Japan is not, or Japan can be at war with the US while Germany is not. You need to click the little Japan-flag first, then you click on the flag of the Soviet Union on the war map to declare war on them. Have you overlooked (ignored) the two little flags underneath the war map to the left?

Samichlaus, likely Japan was never at war with the USSR and as KvP suggests this can be accomplished using the War Map by selecting Japan and then declaring war on the USSR.

The reason you were able to attack USSR units with Japan in other locations is simply a game mechanism we needed to put into place to prevent exploits. For example, you could have a situation where Japan is at war with China but Japan is not yet at war with the UK. If the UK moved units into China then Japan would need to be able to attack these units otherwise China can garrison critical locations and Japan would not be able to do anything about it.