Questions about surrenders etc.

First of all, great game. The AI is not too bright, but hopefully I can find a couple humans. After most of one game, I have some questions:

1. I took Paris in March of 1940. France did not surrender until August! Note that I op moved all my stuff out when Paris fell, then, thinking it would surrender, I waited while doing other things. I finally came back and took all but one city and one fortress before it fell. You got to be kidding, France should be the LAST country to hold out like that.

2. I took moscow, stalingrad and I forget what else that became russian capital. The last was Novosiberk (not sure spelling, it's snowing). Nov. has a german flag now, but several turns later, still no surreder. So what is the deal with surrenders in this game?

3. Transports out run Destroyers? Why would that be? I just chased a transport clean across the Pacific with a DD and it got away. If memory serves, DD's are much quicker.

4. Wondering why France is British Minor and Italy is German Minor. This causes (among other things):

a. British have too much money in early game, they should be strapped at that time.

b. Italians get german tech advances.

c. Italians can be attached to german HQ's.

d. Since b and c are true, Italians ARE germans! (only thing is if Rome falls they gone) When my germans ran out of buildable units, I just started pumping out tigers and advanced subs from italy. That's just wrong.

Again, great game, but I think some tweaking is in order.

I also love the strategic event choices

david & KvP, i think you don't know the limitations of the SC2 game engine.

There is a limit about how many major powers are possible, in a global game you have to choose which ones you want, you can't have all of them.

Btw.: i can't see why France should fall only because Paris gets conquered.

As long as their is hope, as long a nation will fight on. Yes, even France.

There was a reason why France surrendered, and it wasn't alone the fact that Paris was declared an open city (that we see street fights in Paris, that you can criticize, not that France fights on as long as the general staff thinks resistance is still possible).

IIRC an occupied Paris has never guaranteed a French surrender, at least since SC1. There's a percent chance the French will continue especially if they have some units remaining.

You want the Froggies to stop hopping around you've got to go squish'em under your jackboots.:P

1. I took Paris in March of 1940. France did not surrender until August! Note that I op moved all my stuff out when Paris fell, then, thinking it would surrender, I waited while doing other things. I finally came back and took all but one city and one fortress before it fell. You got to be kidding, France should be the LAST country to hold out like that.

2. I took moscow, stalingrad and I forget what else that became russian capital. The last was Novosiberk (not sure spelling, it's snowing). Nov. has a german flag now, but several turns later, still no surreder. So what is the deal with surrenders in this game?

Again, great game, but I think some tweaking is in order.

I also love the strategic event choices

From page 42:

Major Country Surrender = 3% * number of remaining units

Minor Country Surrender = 6% * number of remaining units

Hope that helps

Some of these were already answered so I'll just quickly add a few comments on the remaining ones:

3. This was just a game play decision as often transports move in clusters and usually larger clusters than let's say a single destroyer here and there (or even any other capital ship type) and it just helps to speed things up on moving these units around the map as they are more point A to point B than the other naval unit types. This helps not only break down the tediousness for multiplayer games but also it helps the AI out a bit as well.

That being said it has never really come up as a major issue and one that we are not married to and we might even increase the range of all naval unit types as some are leaning in that direction as well.

4b. This was just part of one of the new features for Global where minors can share the research of their parent but at a increased cost. We then leave the decision up to the player.

4c. Just another new option and again up to the player as there are pros and cons, i.e. would the German player rather have their own German units attached or Italian ones etc.

Thank you for your responses. I never saw the number U8, that helps. If I were making the game, France and Italy would have different rules, but at least now I understand. I guess that is what happend in Russia as well.

I do take exception to the fact that the engine can't allow for more majors. Don't take this as sour grapes, I really do like the game, but since I payed full price for the game, I should not get a step backwards in something like this. The engine should have been tweaked. I bought Crysis and Far Cry 2 for less than I paid for this, and look at the engines those games have. Of course I don't expect crysis graphics, but adding a couple major powers doesn't seem like too much to ask.