Pearl Harbor?

Firstly thanks guy's love the game and past series.

So i played as Axis +50 +1 xp

Made decent headway by slowly grinding out the Chinese at great cost over a long time, as America got a bit grumpy i scaled that back to more of a holding drain on them and set up for expansion.

All that was good But about the end of 41 i had a fleet of carriers and a few others over hawaii way looking to beat the pus out of an unexpecting USA. But of course, i was not at war with the US, so i could not see any American units there to attack. So i DOW (did the japs actually declare ??) and sure enough some BS and stuff suddenly appear and i can have at em.

There is no surprise element, attacks cost me much for little gain and i limp away thinking how i've just upset a monster and killed off half my flight crew for little gain.

I read hints about a scripted Pearl harbor event but no details...so what gives? how am i to trigger this event and why can't i just sneak attack the USA when i am good and ready.

if anyone has any ideas on this i'd love to hear from you, thanks

I can see how there is some confusion here as there is no surprise Pearl Harbor event per se, it was rather just how did we ensure that one could exist if a player, such as the US could move their units around prior to entering the war fully mobilized.

Looks like you've discovered it by noticing that there will be a fleet to destroy should the Japanese venture to repeat the historical attack on Pearl Harbor. If they don't then the US fleet survives as it would have historically. That was all the original question so many weeks ago was about and we just didn't want to give out all the details about how this would work at the time... but now that the game is released it is different.

In terms of the attack, did you set your Carriers to attack in Tactical mode?

I didn't set my carriers to Tactical mode, which now i guess was a bit dumb. Lol i re-read the carrier part in the manual after seeing your comment and thought of all those brave jap pilots i may have wasted over China trying to squeeze the brutes away from the coast.

thanks for your reply Hubert