World War 1 Mod

Nice to see a couple of my Russian Civil War sprites make it to your WWI mod and I have to say that your sprites overall are fantastic. I wanted to redo the monster RCW mod I made by scaling it down a bit to make it more AI freindly and I would really like to use some of your sprites with your permission when the time comes...I'm afraid my original mod was a bit of an out of control beast!

JP,

I loved the look of your Russian Civil War mod, but it was a bit of a resource hog. Maybe it will work better with the latest game engine.

I would enjoy collaborating with you on a remake of the Russian Civil War. In fact I bought a copy of the Osprey version of the war. The Osprey version was bit slanted toward the Whites, I’ll have to pick up something from the library to get the Red point of view.

Any ways, let me know if you are motivated to work on a new version with me.

Robert

JP,

I loved the look of your Russian Civil War mod, but it was a bit of a resource hog. Maybe it will work better with the latest game engine.

I would enjoy collaborating with you on a remake of the Russian Civil War. In fact I bought a copy of the Osprey version of the war. The Osprey version was bit slanted toward the Whites, I’ll have to pick up something from the library to get the Red point of view.

Any ways, let me know if you are motivated to work on a new version with me.

Robert

Thanks for the thought and when you finish your WWI mod PM me and we'll see about cranking up the RCW beast again.. Probably reducing the map, the force pool, and the victory condition requirements, would help speed up the game..anyway, once you have completed your current project, we'll give it a go...thanks again

JP,

Good ideas for speeding up the play.

I am not engaged with this current WW1 project. I had been modifying a few unit bitmaps and sharing with Dominik (screen name Kowalewski). The project on this thread is Dominik’s.

No need to start a new Russian Civil War project now, whenever the mood strikes is good with me.

Robert

JP,

Good ideas for speeding up the play.

I am not engaged with this current WW1 project. I had been modifying a few unit bitmaps and sharing with Dominik (screen name Kowalewski). The project on this thread is Dominik’s.

No need to start a new Russian Civil War project now, whenever the mood strikes is good with me.

Robert

Well as coincidence will have it AGEOD announced that it will be producing REVOLUTION UNDER SEIGE which concentrates on the RCW....I thnk I'll let those more capable than I handle it...

westfront.jpg

galizien.jpg

galizienkopie.jpg

ottoman.jpg

naviesoftheworld.jpg

Mod ist still in Progress, at the moment the European Theatre is good playable.

Haven´t introduced many Scripts yet. After I finish the southern and northern Region of Russia and the Middle East i start to create Scripts :-)

Changed Paras to Cavalry Corps. I think to convert AA to Garrisons with no real Combat Value but usable to protect cities from light attacks.

Rockets are convertet to Gas Artillery (Higher Morale Killing Capability)

Any Idea what I can use AT-Guns and Attack Planes for? :-)

@KvP

I upload Pictures on Imageshack and Link them to the Forum.

Look at the Pics the Krauts got their Pickelhaube ;-)

@Wagner, as Carvert already stated. The Pics are made by him. He had done really got work with them. I am looking forward too to a new Russian Civil War. Hope you don´t get discouraged by an upcoming game. There already excist a game about the WW1, It´s name is Guns of August. After i heard that my motivation has gone too BUT It is not like SC :-)

Cheers

Dominik

I didn´t believed it myself, but the name for Köln => Cöln was used until 1919.

The Same goes for Zagreb, then named Agram -.-

The russian pre-bolshevik names are just a pain to research :-)

The gameplay hasn´t changed much from the basic gameplay. Someone ever tried to play GC without Aircraft and Tanks.... It gets static :-)

So far thanks for positive comment :-)

Cheers

Dominik

Kowalewski, this is looking very promising. I have been waiting for a long time for a decent strategic level WW1 game, and the SC engine should lend itself very nicely to that.

I noticed earlier in this thread that someone commented about the fact that in 1914 Ireland was still part of the UK. It would be interesting to see the Easter Rebellion of 1916 factored in. Have you considered scripting that event? In the real world, it certainly occupied the Brits attention, and while it did not greatly impact the effort in Europe, it would be cool to have the Allied player forced to make a choice between diverting a small amount of resources towards quelling the rebellion, or choosing to ignore it, and suffering some other consequence (I have to think what that could be---perhaps someone here has an idea?)

Anyway, keep it coming !

Happycat there is a dedicated WW1 strategic game available & has been for a couple or 4 years now - Guns of August - at a bit of a different level to GC tho - a bit higher strategic with more abstracted naval & production, food etc.

might be of interest to you - and in any case would be of interest by way of comparison.

@Happycat

I Already considered to include the riots in Ireland (And rest of the World^^)

Most probably connected with Decision Events.

For Ireland a German one! As in History they tried to send (Captured French and Russian) Arms to Ireland to support they movement. But they failed to meet. If the Player decides to Help them (Destroyer=for Armstransport) has to reach the Irish coast. then a Partisan Group will appear in Ireland. If not... Just the usual Riots hitting supply level. Something like that for Senussi, Boer or Muslim Conscripts in Russia :-)

BTW now building the Caucasus Region

Cheers

Dominik

"Any Idea what I can use AT-Guns and Attack Planes for?"

attack planes could be recon planes, upgrading to figthers, red baron etc

Ground attack planes, could be the early light bombers

Bombers could be the Zeplin

AT guns could be field guns, like the british 18-Pounder Field Gun or mortars?

Artillery would be Howitzer's

"Any Idea what I can use AT-Guns and Attack Planes for?"

attack planes could be recon planes, upgrading to figthers, red baron etc

Ground attack planes, could be the early light bombers

Bombers could be the Zeplin

AT guns could be field guns, like the british 18-Pounder Field Gun or mortars?

Artillery would be Howitzer's

As I understand it, the Germans led the way early on in aircraft development and use. Eventually the French and British caught up. But the Germans countered with superior organization.

The main utility was reconnaissance and counter- reconnaissance. Makes sense since the small bombs carried by those early planes could never have an effect of the mass of armies below, but did provide a new platform to see over enemy lines. So, I recommend you stick with two types of aircraft: fighter and reconnaissance. Give the reconnaissance aircraft a spotting range shorter than fighter strike ranges, but have the reconnaissance aircraft’s spotting range long enough to sit behind friendly armies and uncover enemy units & positions behind their front lines. I’d give the Germans greater action point strength: to simulate the organization of the Flying Circus (Jagdgeschwader) that moved its planes and logistical base from front to front with ease.

A good use for the AT piece may be to make Division units (cavalry or infantry). These would be good garrison units, especially for Malta and Gibraltar; and if you include the colonial theaters this will add fluidity to battles faraway from Europe.

Robert

Generally Germany was outnumbered over the Western front, and they only enjoyed an advantage in the air when they had a technological advantage - the flying circuses were essentially irrelevant.

Recce is by far and away THE most important function of the airforces at this stage, and the allies had it all over the Germans in that - they had more recce a/c, and much better systems for using the information.

They also had much higher casualties, since most airborne recce meant getting over the enemy lines to photograph them or spot for artillery. The allies had a very agressive policy in this regard, and arguably this compounded German technological advantages when those occured to cause very high casualties.

In game terms recce should have to take losses in order to function effectively, so it should absolutely NOT be able to just sit behind the front lines & passively spot.

tech levels in WW1 might go something like this:

fighters (examples are illustrative only!):

1: the early British Vickers pushers, French MS Parasol's with prop wedges, 2 seaters with a MG in the back, etc

2: Early fixed-fwd firing MG types - Fokker E series, DH-2, Nieuport 11 with Lewis on top of wing

3: Early better performing synchronised: Sopwith Pup & Triplane, Pflaz D series, early Albatross D series, Spad 7, Nieuport 17, etc

4: Developed synchronised types: Camel, SE-5, Later albatros D's, Spad 13, Nieuport 28, Fokker Triplane, etc

5: Advanced types at end of war: Fokker D-7, Sopwith Snipe, Siemens Schukert D-8

recce:

1/ early unarmed a/c relying upon dropped messages (everyone should start with this)

2/ As 1 but better performance and armed with rifles, automatic pistols, etc (shuold be cheap as dirt)

3/ Increasing better performance, armed with MG for observer, early photographic equipment and morse code radio (came about in 1915)

4/ Add fwd firing MG, improved photographic equipment and systems, now being purpose built for observation

5/ Later better built & designed a/c, sometimes with multiple MG's for observer & firing forwards (eg Salmson 2A2, Breguet 14), fully integrated developed systems within what we would not call a "battle plan"

Ground attack was, as has been pointed out, stil pretty inefficient, but it did achieve some noteable successes - air attack is often siad to have caused the rout of the Turkish army retreating from Palestine and the Bulgarians from Macedonia in 1918.

It is also credited with some effectiveness in stemming the German advances in 1918, with low level straffing of road bound horse-transport (supply, artillery) being considered especially effective,.

The Junkers J1 came into service at the end of 1917, & the Sopwith Salamander was in production at the end of 1918 - both featuring armoured "bathtubs" for the crew.

so there is room for ground attack tech too - perhaps once someone gets to level 4 with 1 of the other air technologies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

Work on this map is moving on slowly... but it is moving ;-)

TACs are going to become some primitive sort of Reece. You can apply just the range tech on them. Have to test if it is possible that they can recon the attacked are in a radius of 2. If not maybe i put 2 Strikes on them. Have to think about it some more time. AT-Guns are becoming small Garrison/Division Units. Very weak but good enough to defend some towns.

Best Regards

Dominik ;-)

P.S. If the Allied Sea blockade is succesfull- Yes food riots in Germany

• 4 months later...