Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mac G4 and the nVidia GeForce2 MX

I just installed and fired up CM on a 733 Geforce MX G4 mac with the 4x agp and all the rest. What a great machine! This thing is killer. Anyway...I loaded up CM and everything looked fine, infact , the image quality of the Geforce2 was better then the rage pro ATI card, but one thing was missing. The sky! The sky is just jet black. Thats it. Nothing there but black. The rest of the game looks fantastic, minus a few graphic artifacts here and there. But overall better then the old ATI rage pro (none of that haze that an ATI card displays when running rave in 16 bit). Anyways...is there a fix for this?

Since NVidia is brand new to the Mac market, there are going to be possible problems with drivers. Unless the resource that has the sky picts in it is corrupted this is probably going to be a driver issue.

I'm not sure what kind of adjustments NVidia has/will have for RAVE. If there are any you may want to experiment with them. Apparently the drivers are having a problem stretching the bitmap properly - so it is quite possible that there may be no immediate fix for this problem.

Do you have all of the ATI-related extensions and control panels removed from your system ?

Thanks Madmatt. Actually the G4 was not mine and I only had a few hours to play around with it. So I installed CM to see how she would run with the powerful video card and processor. I didnt install any mods though. One thing that did happen hough was when I installed CM the first time it wouldnt install it full, stopped at about graphics 9 and said it encountered an error installing and stoped installing. Well after that, I trashed the CM that was installed and reinstalled. Everyithing installed the second time.

The reason I ask this compatibiity issue is I am thinking of a new video card and the Geforce2MX is pretty sweet card for the mac.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 03-16-2001).]

I have a hard time searching Apple's site for drivers, etc.

The following info I found in the discussion forums. It doesn't mention your problem, but it does reference different firmware and driver revisions for the NVidia-based cards.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@168.XYxGaaMOdKf^4@.eed473c/0

The following thread seems appropriate in mentioning the "dark display in RAVE", which is probably applicable here to your situation in CM:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@168.XYxGaaMOdKf^14@.eeca2df/0