Thoughts on victory conditions

Makris1821

I was reading some of the descriptions of the upcoming Civ 5, and I saw they introduced one victory condition which was triggered by capturing the opponents capital, to avoid the end game mopping up tedium. I was thinking whether a similar mechanism could be implemented in EoS. Some thoughts and options:

1. A simple capture the capital victory option;

2. Like 1, but the victim has x turns to recapture before surrender (AH's Third Reich used to have a one turn counter-attack rule IIRC);

3. Like 1, but the capital shifts to an alternate city first, and once that falls too its game over;

4. Three largest cities are designated as key, and once they are all captured it triggers surrender (think Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad capture triggering victory in WW2 Russian front games). (This may need to be finessed in the standard expansion game.)

I think that would be a nice option to have if you wanted- your first city would be your capital and that would need to be defended against sneaky attacks. The AI would have to understand that capitals needs to be defended fiercely otherwise it would be a gamey tactic to sneak a small force into enemy territory and take his capital.

The AI would have to understand that capitals needs to be defended fiercely otherwise it would be a gamey tactic to sneak a small force into enemy territory and take his capital.

I think that's what the "x turns to counter attack" option helps prevent. I certainly remember in Third Reich that Germany could fairly easily do an armoured breakthrough to Paris early on in the game, but with the one turn counter attack rule you had to make sure you built the platform for it: a long armoured salient into Paris would just get chopped off and annihilated on the counter-attack.

I was reading some of the descriptions of the upcoming Civ 5, and I saw they introduced one victory condition which was triggered by capturing the opponents capital, to avoid the end game mopping up tedium. I was thinking whether a similar mechanism could be implemented in EoS. Some thoughts and options:

1. A simple capture the capital victory option;

2. Like 1, but the victim has x turns to recapture before surrender (AH's Third Reich used to have a one turn counter-attack rule IIRC);

3. Like 1, but the capital shifts to an alternate city first, and once that falls too its game over;

4. Three largest cities are designated as key, and once they are all captured it triggers surrender (think Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad capture triggering victory in WW2 Russian front games). (This may need to be finessed in the standard expansion game.)

Interesting stuff. I'll add it to the suggestions.