Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Why I hate hand grenades...

c3k

I'm having a nasty close quarters fight in some dense woods against a dug-in enemy. Their grenades are absolutely gutting my men. (Um, literally.)

I launched one in the woods: The 'nade bounced on a tree and landed on the helmet of a mate 5 meters in front of me in a foxhole lol :) He went angry, but he should have been happy I didn't pull the pin out!

ERISS,

That's an excellent anecdote; the number of branches, boughs, limbs, boles, twigs, sticks, leaves and other detritus extant in a copse of trees are obstacles to effective grenade throwing. One grenade would be a risk. A rain of grenades would invite friendly casualties.

BF.C?

Ken

I don't want a specific GRENADE target order. That would swing the pendulum too far. A bit of a TacAI tweak would be nice.

Ken

+1

As it is now, it takes several movement orders, plus a pause order or two and a couple of area target orders to get something close to a good building-clearing drill in CMSF. This is plenty complicated and I'd really rather not have to also issue a GRENADE command, or something like that, on top of everything else.

But I think it's clear that grenade usage, and in deed ammo usage in general, needs to toned down a bit for fights in the sub-50m range. It's just not realistic to have an entire squad chucking grenades frantically like it's a water balloon fight at the company picnic.

There are some related issues with QCB that need to be looked at as well. For example, last I checked, grenadiers will still sometimes fire the 40mm UGL at sub-30m ranges, which can cause friendly casualties. Considering most UGL round types don't even arm until about 20m, this definitely needs to be tweaked.

Cheers,

YD

YankeeDog,

That, frustratingly, happened to me. Well, okay, not to ME, but to some of the pixeltruppen under my command in CMSF. Pedants! I'd set the du rigeur "TARGET LIGHT" command inside a building. My men entered, firing; the endpoint had a "TARGET ARC" command set to 360 degrees, 40m. Unfortunately, the TARGET LIGHT stayed active until every man in the unit had been assessed as being present at the endpoint. My grenadier fired a 40mm from his corner towards the middle of the building - where the TARGET LIGHT aimpoint was set. Too bad one of his squadmates was between the muzzle of the UGL and the aimpoint. Oops. I ascribed it to a friendly fire incident and pressed on.

Ken

I launched one in the woods: The 'nade bounced on a tree and landed on the helmet of a mate 5 meters in front of me in a foxhole lol He went angry, but he should have been happy I didn't pull the pin out!

Fortunately, there was a cameraman next to you to picture all this for the next new recruits. ;)

smokegrenade.gif

That's Hilarious.

And the trumpet sounds...ladies and gentlemen.... I present to you the warriors that will defend your nation....Doh!

Honestly I never threw a grenade and never thought it would be hard to do.Throwing things was natural for me, but I guess not for the poor fellow in the small clip above. I wouldn't want him throwing anything, not even a chocolate bar to kids.I think they might set him up for a desk job.:D

I think sometimes in CMSF the troops throw to many grenades.The first volley of grenades seems reasonable at times, but the constant shower after wards is a little much.In real time play, I can balance this with micromanaging and have the troops throw 2-3 grenades before clearing a room, but in WEGO in PBEM, I'm starting to realize this will not be managed easily, if at all.

I've seen some vids and heard a few stories about grenades being used en masse to hit enemy that's near,or to clear a flank, or to hit a suspected entrenched enemy, or to repel an enemy assault, but in CMSF I have seen 4 Brits stop in the open as they ran, to throw 4 grenades simultaneously at a threat.I thought it was cool, but I didn't think that was to realistic.I think most comments here for a tweak are bang on.

I've thrown a fair share of live nades (~100) both indoor and outdoor and it's always unnerving because shrapnel goes everywhere. From my own experience (which is limited to live exercises), in a assault situation there's no telling how a squad will react. Terrain and the placement of the enemy usually impacts whether or not grenades are flung but WHEN grenades are used (outdoor) there's rarely just one or two but they come in clusters until they run out of grenades or they're sure the enemy is dead. Experienced soldiers can throw grenades at an alarming rate while fresh recruits usually hold tight onto their firearms and forget all about grenades.

Indoor is a entirely different story since the squads are usually more compressed and the squadleader has a more "hands on" training when regarding indoor grenade usage (cus of the high risk of friendly casualties with possibly thin walls and all).

Now this is from my own experience and does in no way reflect any scientifically proven facts.