Gone Gold means When?

I am pretty sure that we will release this month. The download link you got with your pre-order will work from the day of release for 365 days (or 10 downloads), and you will get an email a few hours before the official release announcement that you can download already :) Hardgoods usually take another 1-2 weeks after the release before you have them by mail.

Martin

Your logic is failing because your base assumption is wrong. "Sold mainly by digital distribution" isn't. Many of our customers are opting for the mail component with the printed manual and disc (as backup; your download expires). The percentage varies from game to game, but a game like Global Conflict which people expect to play for many months if not years (rightly so; and they won't be disappointed either), probably has about 2/3rds of mail orders, or mail&download.

We like that and in fact we like to encourage that, too. Not because we make more money on it (because we don't) but because we think that good games are worth having a printed manual and box. It sets our games apart from the Fast Food Download Only stuff that is available on every website nowadays and that people don't play for more than a few hours in total.

So, while we could in theory throw the switch to enable downloads quickly, we use the additional time while pre-orders are running to prep production, do final testing and QA (there are many things that need to be tested that aren't necessarily game related such as installers), and to then have a release where customers who want the physical goods do not have to wait for weeks and weeks for it.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Moon (02-10-2010, 05:13 PM)

"...and you will get an email a few hours before the official release announcement..."

I pre-ordered too and I hope you will have lots of server performance. I think many people will download exact at the moment when the game download becomes available. I hope the download-server will be within reach and also hope to have a little download speed.

KvP, we use a server network (called a server cloud) with locations all over the world to serve our full game downloads. This is expensive but it ensures unlimited bandwidth (literally) and 100% uptime. We haven't had any download speed issues (related to our own hosting at least) since we began using this service. I don't think any one single server would have been able to sustain any one of our past releases all by itself :)

Martin