Setup and priorities

Forgive me people but I am by nature very inquisitive and I like to pick someones brains about items in the game I am not sure about, my questions are about the Pacific game only because the Global game might have different ramifications.

1-on the opening screen including advance and scripts

what setup do you use eg: FOW or no FOW, build delays no build delays, weather on or off etc? If playing the AI do you give any bonus to it?

2-What priorities do you want to have your country build up first, Naval, bombers, advanced aircraft etc, is infrastructure tech. production tech. industrial tech. important enough to put valuable mpp's into them rather than into armies naval and air units? All answers will be kept confidential:rolleyes:

BO

Bo usually H vs H games the FOW is activated so is production delays and the weather.

As far as your second question goes thats entirely up to you and what your overall strategy is.Usually you will invest your tech to supprt your overall plans but that can also change,especially if the enemy does something you werenot expecting.

Bo,

As far as the first question goes (and I think it's the same no matter which expansion you're playing), I usually pick "no build delays" since I prefer to have my builds right away (the opposition gets the same, so it's not a handicap for the other side, as far as I can tell), and I don't give the AI any bonus unless the game is getting too easy. If its too difficult, then I might take the FOW off (perhaps even toggle the FOW on for the AI's turn if I'm REALLY having it tough) but I try to make it as realistic as possible (you don't really want it TOO easy, do you?). In the beginning, I keep the weather mode off, but after a while, for more of a challenge, I might turn the weather mode back on, but I recommend making it easy at the beginnning, the tighten the notches a bit more and more as I get more comfortable. It's to everyone's own pleasure, of course! :D

As far as priorities go, I personally lean heavily on industrial and production tech and infrastructure, then advanced aircraft and long range air tech. After that, well, depends on how the war is progressing. ;)

Bo usually H vs H games the FOW is activated so is production delays and the weather.

As far as your second question goes thats entirely up to you and what your overall strategy is.Usually you will invest your tech to supprt your overall plans but that can also change,especially if the enemy does something you werenot expecting.

Gee I was hoping for a little more input than that oh well:rolleyes:

Bo

Bo,

As far as the first question goes (and I think it's the same no matter which expansion you're playing), I usually pick "no build delays" since I prefer to have my builds right away (the opposition gets the same, so it's not a handicap for the other side, as far as I can tell), and I don't give the AI any bonus unless the game is getting too easy. If its too difficult, then I might take the FOW off (perhaps even toggle the FOW on for the AI's turn if I'm REALLY having it tough) but I try to make it as realistic as possible (you don't really want it TOO easy, do you?). In the beginning, I keep the weather mode off, but after a while, for more of a challenge, I might turn the weather mode back on, but I recommend making it easy at the beginnning, the tighten the notches a bit more and more as I get more comfortable. It's to everyone's own pleasure, of course! :D

As far as priorities go, I personally lean heavily on industrial and production tech and infrastructure, then advanced aircraft and long range air tech. After that, well, depends on how the war is progressing. ;)

Hey Snow thank you, I mean that I rarely ever use those tech's will have to learn what they do and how good they are, the only thing about weather is when I play Japan, every turn is critical for them and you get any kind of a rainy season Japan's progress is cut in half, in the current game its downright awful for expansion, I am hoping in the global game which starts 27 months sooner [right Hubert:D hes teaching me Math] will give Japan more time if rain occurs a lot in the begining.

Bo

Well, to put it generally, industrial tech will eventually increase your MPPs that you get every turn, and production tech will eventually cut down the cost of producing each unit you buy as well. Between the two, I give the industrial one priority. The aircraft techs improve the attacks (and defense) of fighters, as well as increase the movement points for the planes (fighters and bombers).

As far as the weather goes, if it impedes your Japanese campaign too much, you can certainly just shut off the weather mode if you must. ;)

It also depends(imho)on what country you are refering to.There isnt much point investing Ind.tech with Italy,Japan,Britain.They have such a small Industrial base to begin with you dont really gain much.I will usually invest Ind.Prod.and Infra with the Americans and the Russians right away.They have the time and in a long battle it does make a difference(I know others will same different)As far as the other techs go it all depends on what weapons you want to use to try and win.Thats where you invest in.

Germany and Russia can benefit from investing in A.A.With Japan even maxed out those A.A.guns didnt seem to have much of an effect on the Ami.heavy bombers(ecpecially if the bombers are at level 5)

Arado,

Good point about some of the specific countries not needing Industrial tech. At the time, I was referring to the Axis and Allies in general. I disagree though on Britain. I think it is worthwhile for them, as long as they're able to hang on to most of their territories during the game.

It also depends(imho)on what country you are refering to.There isnt much point investing Ind.tech with Italy,Japan,Britain.They have such a small Industrial base to begin with you dont really gain much.I will usually invest Ind.Prod.and Infra with the Americans and the Russians right away.They have the time and in a long battle it does make a difference(I know others will same different)As far as the other techs go it all depends on what weapons you want to use to try and win.Thats where you invest in.

Germany and Russia can benefit from investing in A.A.With Japan even maxed out those A.A.guns didnt seem to have much of an effect on the Ami.heavy bombers(ecpecially if the bombers are at level 5)

Ok Arado I agree with you on Italy and Britain, but for Japan thats a different story for me, for some reason I like to play Japan not just to see if I can change history [never have yet] but I find them really interesting in the SC series, maybe because I get away from the land mass of Russia that seems to roll on forever, but the islands seem to break the game into segments that I can handle better and are much more interesting such as you have to plan your island assults carefully, supply your forces over huge stretches of water etc. If I went for infrastructure tech the two places it would help me would be against China and British India, but you feel it would be a waste to do industrial tech and production tech? Remember they are starting to build[Japan] these techs 27 months ahead of the United States entrance into the war [unless that evil Hubert has an ace up his sleeve:rolleyes:] Of course I am using historical dates which might have nothing to do with this game, but I believe or at least I do try to go along a historical date timeline such as invasion of France may 1940 and Russia June 1941, if I dont meet those dates it seems to me I run into nasty surprises and unpleasant setbacks and if it gets real bad I just turn the computer off and play COD2:D

Bo

Note that Industrial Tech afffects only home country factories, not territories. So, for example, Germany, once she annexes Poland, will gain 11MPP for each tech level. Don't quote me, but I do believe Britain picks up 3MPP for each tech level. This is why it's a great tech for USSR and USA, and not so hot for every one else. Will have to see if it has changed at all in the new game.

Note that Industrial Tech afffects only home country factories, not territories. So, for example, Germany, once she annexes Poland, will gain 11MPP for each tech level. Don't quote me, but I do believe Britain picks up 3MPP for each tech level. This is why it's a great tech for USSR and USA, and not so hot for every one else. Will have to see if it has changed at all in the new game.

Agreed Scook but does infrastructure tech help in invaded countries such as China and British India for Japanese forces movement along roads and in mountains?

Bo

Hi Bo

It does, because it helps reduce the cost for operating and transporting units. Therefore it's a useful tech for most countries, perhaps less so for the USSR than most of the others. But even there it can help if they need to operate from north to south or vice versa to deal with a German offensive or to launch a surprise one of their own.