Bmp-1pk (4c)

Well, it seems I speak for some other people here if I say, 'dunno'...my opinion is this should work just fine. You sure the BMP has ammo remaining for the main gun, and that you didn't issue a 'target light' order? That's all I can think of...

But here's another gripe concerning the BMP-1P (4C) from me: similar in a way, yet almost the opposite: When I tell my BMP to area fire a building, it fires the main gun once, then switches weapons and wastes one of its 4 precious ATGMs on the building. THEN the gunner proceeds to reload the missile launcher, effectively interrupting the area fire for about 30-40 seconds before repeating the entire process. I would much prefer him to only use the 73 mm main gun, which reloads much faster, and saving his ATGMs for tanks. I can work around the problem with micromanagement in RT, shifting the area fire to light immediately after the 73mm fires, in which case gunner-boy manages to pelt the building with 7.62 with one hand while popping a new 73mm round into the barrel with the other, after which I switch back to regular area fire and, rinse and repeat. Good to know he's dextrous - I'd prefer him to be smart, though, so I wouldn't have to babysit him...

Same thing SOMETIMES happens with tanks equipped with ATGMs, by the way.

Well, it seems I speak for some other people here if I say, 'dunno'...my opinion is this should work just fine. You sure the BMP has ammo remaining for the main gun, and that you didn't issue a 'target light' order? That's all I can think of...

But here's another gripe concerning the BMP-1P (4C) from me: similar in a way, yet almost the opposite: When I tell my BMP to area fire a building, it fires the main gun once, then switches weapons and wastes one of its 4 precious ATGMs on the building. THEN the gunner proceeds to reload the missile launcher, effectively interrupting the area fire for about 30-40 seconds before repeating the entire process. I would much prefer him to only use the 73 mm main gun, which reloads much faster, and saving his ATGMs for tanks. I can work around the problem with micromanagement in RT, shifting the area fire to light immediately after the 73mm fires, in which case gunner-boy manages to pelt the building with 7.62 with one hand while popping a new 73mm round into the barrel with the other, after which I switch back to regular area fire and, rinse and repeat. Good to know he's dextrous - I'd prefer him to be smart, though, so I wouldn't have to babysit him...

Same thing SOMETIMES happens with tanks equipped with ATGMs, by the way.

Are you using the "target light" command?

target light should then use the coax I believe. Target light seems to be 30mm and less. Target is "I want the building dead NOW!", at which point they throw the most firepower possible at it (the AT4 being by far the best anti-structure weapon on the BMP). There is no "medium" order. Now of course people might say "remove ATGMs vs buildings from target!", but then some one will be complaining that they can't get their BMP to flatten structures with the AT4, so far it seems like you can't win.

Yeah, Ryujin, I know it's been discussed in other threads, and I know why it happens (no MEDIUM target command or equivalent), and I accept that that is the way the game works. Due to the ammo allotment and weapon calibre in Blue vehicles (e.g. light area fire from bradleys uses bushmaster, which is fine for suppressing and even flattening buildings), this is much less often an issue than when playing red. Also notice I described my paragraph as a gripe, not a bug report or anything...sometimes ya just gotta ventilate ;)...

Frankster65, if you read my post carefully, you will find that I said I alternate 'target' and 'target light' orders for my BMP's to prevent them from using ATGMs on buildings while still using the 73mm main. I am merely surprised by the implied proficiency of the gunner to reload the 73mm main gun while firing the coax at the same time ;).

Well if it does it only makes things even more intriguing....seeing as how if both the main gun and the ATGM have been fired, the ATGM gets reloaded first, then the 73. Takes almost a minute in all. Whereas if I switch to 'area fire light', the main gun is reloaded in a matter of a few seconds. Seems like a clear case of bad prioritization on gunner-boy's part. Personally I'd press the button for the autoloader FIRST and reload the missile AFTERWARD....ya know, in the old combat-readiness-spirit and all that. *sigh*

Boy am I glad that the Bushmaster cannon on Bradleys counts as a 'light' weapon for area fire. The frustration would be unbearable if it were otherwise, just think about it :D

Well, the 73mm low velocity gun on the BMP-1 fires rocket assisted projectiles very similar to the rounds fired be the the SPG-9 recoliess rifle. They have an initial low pressure launching charge and a small rocket that ignites later. This allows the rounds to pick up a lot of speed despite being fired from a very weak gun. They're far from missiles, but I think this is what your referring to.

stoex, I guess the Soviets needed a compact gun that could fire a projectile (fin-stabilized rocket-assisted, the same one of the SPG-9 Spear recoilless gun) able to penetrate at short distances the frontal armor of the NATO MBTs of that time (the 70s). For long distances it relied on the ATGM system.

Cheers,

Lomir

Edit: Ryujin types faster than me. :o