Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New monitor suggestsions

Guest Andrew Hedges

Guest Andrew Hedges

My (relatively cheap) monitor appears to be having some problems -- I'm getting some, for lack of a better word, shadow-type effects, that are especially visible on a light screen. I'm going to try and do various things to fix it, including just seeing if it goes away.

But if it doesn't (and part of me hopes it doesn't), I'd be interested in recommendations for a new monitor (for, say $500 or so). My current monitor is a 17", with 16" viewable; slightly larger might be okay, but I'm more interested in higher quality than size for size's sake.

Any suggestions?

(Also, if you have any suggestions about the shading problem, that might be useful, too).

Thanks.

What platform and what video card are you using with the monitor ? What resolution are you running and what model is your monitor (and what's it's maximume resolution) ?

When you describe a "shadow" is this a ghost-like image that is directly to the right of the image a few milimeters, but almost completely transparent ? Are you using a keyboard/video switch box or a video cable extension ? These are notorious for causing ghosting and the problem will continue if you use such solutions.

As for purchasing a new monitor you may want to check out the reviews (professional and user) at CNET.com. If possible you'll probably want to get a look at a monitor before purchasing it (though the quality of image can vary from monitor to monitor, even if it is the same model).

Guest wwb_99

In terms of 17" you cannot go wrong with a Samsung 700IFT. We just bought 30 or so at work, and they really do look better than the flat screens. 17", 16" viewable, with .20mm dot pitch on a totally flat tube. Brilliant for the $275 or so price tag.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Guest Andrew Hedges

My monitor is a Samtron 75(e). That's Samsung's "value" line; the warranty ran out in February frown.gif. I'm at work, so I'm not sure what the maximum resolution is. I run CM in 768 x 1024.

I have a TNT2 M64 32M video card, on an AMD K6-2 530 (or close to that; I'm not sure exactly) with 128M of ram.

Here's the best way I can describe the "shading" I've been getting: if there is, say a line of black text on a white screen, the black text will be a little less dark than usual, and there will be a grayish bar of text, about the height of the line of text, that extends from one side of the monitor to another, crossing through the line of text.

It's easiest to see what's happening on a light screen, but I get a similar effect no matter how dark or light the screen is, although on a darker screen it mostly looks like things are darker and not as crisp as they should be. But I'm pretty sure it's the same phenomenon.

"Shadowing" may have been the wrong word to use; I don't see something that looks like a duplicate copy, or shadow, of a tank near a less clear origninal tank.

Thanks.

Guest Andrew Hedges

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

My monitor is a Samtron 75(e). That's Samsung's "value" line; the warranty ran out in February frown.gif. I'm at work, so I'm not sure what the maximum resolution is. I run CM in 768 x 1024. I think it's .28 dot pitch.

I have a TNT2 M64 32M video card, on an AMD K6-2 530 (or close to that; I'm not sure exactly) with 128M of ram.

Here's the best way I can describe the "shading" I've been getting: if there is, say a line of black text on a white screen, the black text will be a little less dark than usual, and there will be a grayish bar of text, about the height of the line of text, that extends from one side of the monitor to another, crossing through the line of text.

It's easiest to see what's happening on a light screen, but I get a similar effect no matter how dark or light the screen is, although on a darker screen it mostly looks like things are darker and not as crisp as they should be. But I'm pretty sure it's the same phenomenon.

"Shadowing" may have been the wrong word to use; I don't see something that looks like a duplicate copy, or shadow, of a tank near a less clear origninal tank.

Thanks.

Do you know what refresh rate you are currently running at ? You can usually check from Control Panels > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > Adapter tab > Refresh Rate drop-down dialog. Often this is set to "Optimal" which seems to mean different things to different monitors. Click the down arrow and see what refresh rates you have access to. At 1024 x 768 your monitor maxes out at 85Hz. You may want to try a lower refresh rate and see if this minimizes the ghosting/shadowing.

Otherwise this would most likely be a video cable or internal problem with the monitor.

Guest Andrew Hedges

It looks like an internal/cable problem. My monitor's refresh rate is set to "optimal." I tried a lower refresh rate (i.e., 60) and got shading *plus* flicker.

I will play around with the cable a little bit (although I haven't unhooked it or done anything to it recently, so it shouldn't have received any sort of traumatic damage), but it may be time for a new monitor.

(I'll also just wait a few days and see if this goes away of its own accord. Which *could* happen, I suppose).

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Andrew, it's been awhile since you posted, but maybe for others who have your similar problem (as I did, exactly the same shadowing). I put in my old graphics card and the problem ceased. I put back in my monitor card and the problem came back. So, I went out and bought a new card and all is well.