Combat Mission Overlord?

There were big naval guns in CMBO that were available for scenarios set in the first couple of months after D-Day. I know because I set up at least one game where I used them. They were fairly spectacular if not particularly useful.

The other stuff nmb mentions are presumably what he hopes to see in CM:N and should be raised in the appropriate forum.

Michael

nomorebullshyt,

Welcome aboard!

14" and smaller naval guns are available in CMBO, ISTR, the first three months of the game, after which the Allies have advanced inland so far even battleship guns can't reach. 14" fire is spectacular when it lands where desired. Scenario employing it is listed below.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Lion-sur-Mer, available here. Kingfish and I played it many years ago. Can't comment on second version, since I know nothing about it. Would imagine it was tweaked based on feedback from people who played the original scenario.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&

func=select&id=10&orderby=1

END SPOILER ALERT

Regards,

John Kettler

I have: CMBO, BB and AK. Play and designing scenarios for em at the Blitz as "Bear". Currently I have a scenario using six inch naval guns, direct fire. The battle at Brolo/Naso Ridge, Sicily (Patton's Gambit)

http://www.theblitz.org/h2h_productions/Combat-Mission/action=testing_ladder&lid=1

Thank you Kettler for the heads up. Got em both.

What and where is this CM:N, Combat Mission: Normandy is it?

Awfully restrictive title/subject, but better something than the madness of nothing at all, ehh?

Anyone have a link for CMN?

Lion-sur-Mer, available here. Kingfish and I played it many years ago. Can't comment on second version, since I know nothing about it. Would imagine it was tweaked based on feedback from people who played the original scenario.

The scenario John is referring to is "To the last man" by Wild Bill. I believe it is coming up on 10 years since we played that game, and to this day I still rate is as the best CMBO PBEM match I've played.

Two sequences from that game still stand out in my mind. My last Panzershrek, down to one man and one round, navigates clear across the town, rounds the last corner, squares up with the Croc and blows it away a milllisecond before he is cut down.

The other is the company commander sent forward to rally a platoon that has lost its HQ. The CO runs down from the upper story of a large building, takes one step into the street, and cops a 14" round squarely on his forehead.

The CMAK remake is available at the scenario depot. Do a search under my user name.

Kingfish,

Hi! Was it a scenario, then, about Lion-sur-Mer? Is that why the name stuck in my admittedly porous memory? I definitely remember how my FOO exceeded the low expectations I had of him--by wiping out most of a block.

This says the scenario author was Andreas "Germanboy" Biermann. Adding to the confusion, I've found two other scenarios with the same name!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-60790.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Been thinking..."Normandy", if this new CM game is strictly covering the beach and beach heads then it works. But if the game transcends that geography then a title consistent and more descriptive should be substituted:

• CM Overlord and Liberation
  • CM Overlord to the Rhine
  • CM Overlord to Berlin

Am I thinking inside a dream?:confused::confused:

Am I thinking inside a dream?:confused::confused:

I think you shouldn't sweat it. BFC has never in my opinion been especially brilliant in the area of naming their games, but aside from causing a moment's minor annoyance it hasn't meant a thing. The game's the thing and those have been pretty damn good.

Michael

Kingfish,

Hi! Was it a scenario, then, about Lion-sur-Mer?

Yes, that's it. Great fun that was.

This says the scenario author was Andreas "Germanboy" Biermann. Adding to the confusion, I've found two other scenarios with the same name!

Andrea's scenario covers the battle for St. Lambert-sur-Dives.

You need to download the sorted scenario pack that covers the Normandy campaign to find the one I converted.

Kingfish,

Am I missing something somehow? Are you saying that the scenario you named, "To the Last Man," isn't about Lion-sur-Mer but instead covers St. Lambert-sur-Dives? Or did we have the scenario title wrong, but it's still in the scenario pack you mentioned, a pack which sounds like it might be CMAK rather than CMBO? If so, what did you substitute for 14" fire?

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

There are two scenarios (that I know of) with the title "To the last Man".

One is the Wild Bill version we played in CMBO, and I later converted to CMAK. That one covers the battle for Lion-sir-Mer. The CMAK battle is contained within the scenario pack I mentioned. I have no idea where the CMBO Version would be, or if it survived at all.

The other is by Andreas and covers the St. Lambert battle. As with the Wild Bill scenario there is a CMBO and CMAK version. Same name, different battles.

As for substituting the 14", the best I could come up with is a 7.2" spotter (the largest in the Commonwealth inventory) with increased ammo load to compensate for the reduced blast effect. If you are lucky, and the rounds land fairly close to one another, you can still obliterate the better part of a city block. That said, it certainly is not as awe-inspiring as the "Hand of God" that is a 14" round.

If I had to guess, I'd speculate he's referring to the astounding range of weapons found in CMBO that aren't in the other games.

That was my first guess as well, but I wanted to be sure he didn't have anything else in mind before I tried to reply.

BTW, didn't CMBB have about the same number of varied types? I have no way of checking at the present time.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

A very long list to be sure, but rather deficient in whole categories of American/British/CW

AFVs, to include the Crocodile, Wasp and AVRE. No hedgerow cutter capability on Russian Shermans, either. That alone might be a bone of contention. Am also pretty sure the biggest fire support weapon in CMBB is 28 cm or thereabouts (German K5E). Not sure about the Russian side. There should be 30.5 cm, representing the battleship Marat for certain scenarios.

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

A very long list to be sure, but rather deficient in whole categories of American/British/CW

AFVs, to include the Crocodile, Wasp and AVRE.

On the other hand, the Rumanians were included. The Hungarians? I don't remember...

No hedgerow cutter capability on Russian Shermans, either.

Did they ever receive that?

Am also pretty sure the biggest fire support weapon in CMBB is 28 cm or thereabouts (German K5E). Not sure about the Russian side. There should be 30.5 cm, representing the battleship Marat for certain scenarios.

But only in the vicinity of Leningrad/Kronstadt though, right? For game purposes I would have thought it more useful to model the river gunboats.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Both the Romanians and the Hungarians were included. Since hedgerow cutters were field expedient devices and never factory built, I'd put the odds at very near zero. I'd be willing to consider the possibility of tank dozer blades being supplied to Russia, though. You are perfectly correct regarding where BB Marat was sunk/immobilized/both. Would've been cool to get the river monitors and related craft, but it didn't happen. OTOH, am fairly sure the same thing happened with armored trains for both sides.

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

If I had to guess, I'd speculate he's referring to the astounding range of weapons found in CMBO that aren't in the other games. Also, I suspect that neither the Med nor the Eastern Front are really of that much interest to him; that the ETO is his bread and butter.

Regards,

John Kettler

:rolleyes:Sorry to disappoint but my primary interests are in the War in Russia.

I'm an American and veteran with a strong personal interest in CMBO and CMAK.

But historically my preference is the Eastern Front. I hope that is understandable.

nomorebullshyt,

I misinterpreted an ambiguous statement and came to a series of false conclusions. Sorry about that! SOFAIK, all the sound files in the three named games are .wav, but I'm pretty sure the later ones benefited not only from user feedback but from technical advances and opportunities BFC had to live fire some of the weapons. For example, I think that no one got to shoot an FG-42 in time for CMBO's release, but I know Steve's fired one since. As an Ost Front buff, I believe you'll find the link I mentioned to ravells of considerable grog interest. Since I was so busy playing CMBO, I never got around to modding the terrain, but I can tell you there were lots of mods made. Here are some examples. ISTR CMBO mods won't work with the other two games because the resolution is much higher in them. We lost lots of mods when CMMods shut down.

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=133&game_type=1

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=10

Regards,

John Kettler