Bombing resources

Cutthroat

Speaking about bombing, it would be nice if a city's population would slowly grow back after being bombed, or after food shortage.

The cities do grow slowly in population. Did you mean an additional population increase so that bombings only temporarily damage the population? I had thought about a refugee system where people would leave cities temporarily (after a bombing) - causing a temporary production decline. They would then recover their population as people returned.

Hmm population growth seems to be related to actual population.

My two starter cities of ten population typically reach about twelve population by the time my games finish around the 200 turn mark. But I've never seen a four population city manage to grow to a five population city which is the minimum you need for shipyards etc.

Hence I never use strategic bombers because the few times I tried them I've ended up with 10 pop dropping to 7 pop cities and they never appear to recover. So I'm basically wrecking my future production centres :);

Another aspect of population is that I have captured cities with eleven population but it won't let me build a nuclear plant which requires a minimum of ten population, so it would appear that the game "remembers" the starting population even if there is growth.

I would like to see an improved/quicker population mechanic, I don't want my ten population cities to turn into twenty-seven population mega cities by the end of the game. However, especially when I am running with +50 or higher food production it seems strange tha my ten pop city doesn't manage to at least reach fifteen by the end of the game.

The ideal would be some form of double cap formula :-

If a city of initial size 10 gets knocked down to 7 then population growth increases by (lets say) doiuble.

Once it reaches 10..or starts at 10 it has normal population growth until 50% of the initial population and then stops, in otherwords it can reach 15 but no higher.

In effect during an attack citizens get killed/evacuate, once the attack ceases there is a mini boom of regeneration, but once the city starts feeling overcrowded citizens simply stop moving there.

The population growth rate should also be based on some kind of excess food per turn/actual food in warehouses mechanic.

Rough example, not tested for balance in any way especially as I don't know the actual growth rate :>>

Pop growth rate = stored food/200000 + excess food/2000

Hence 2000 stored food + 20 excess per turn = 0.01 + 0.01 = 0.02 per turn

So after 100 turns... my cities would grow by two population

Of course in most of my games at least...it would certainly take about 100 turns into the game before I got anywhere near to the stored food number so there would never be some huge spurt in population simply a steady progression. But my initial size 10 cities would end up about 13-14 by the end of the game...without even hitting the 50% maximum growth cap :)

Hmm population growth seems to be related to actual population.

My two starter cities of ten population typically reach about twelve population by the time my games finish around the 200 turn mark. But I've never seen a four population city manage to grow to a five population city which is the minimum you need for shipyards etc.

Hm. I just looked at the city-growth code and found a bug with the city-growth. I think I was testing something, and I turned-off some code. (It'll be fixed in the next update.)

The growth of the city is tied to it's population size.

Cities with a population of 0 grow at 1 population every 100 turns.

Cities with a population of 15 grow at 3 population every 100 turns.

Cities with a population of 25 grow stop growing.

Population sizes between those numbers grow at an averaged rate (e.g. a city with a population of 7.5 will grow by ~2 in 100 turns). So, the highest growth rates happen with the smallest cities, but cities with a population of 15 have the highest absolute growth.

The bug screwed up the population growth, so don't bother checking the city-growth rates until the next update.

Hence I never use strategic bombers because the few times I tried them I've ended up with 10 pop dropping to 7 pop cities and they never appear to recover. So I'm basically wrecking my future production centres :);

True. I guess it depends on whether you see the cities as assets to add to your nation, or a chance to degrade the enemies power. Early in the game, you'll need those cities so you don't want to damage them. Late in the game (when you own more than half the cities), it becomes less necessary to keep enemy cities in good shape.

Another aspect of population is that I have captured cities with eleven population but it won't let me build a nuclear plant which requires a minimum of ten population, so it would appear that the game "remembers" the starting population even if there is growth.

You might actually be looking at the city-production value. The production value is usually a little higher than the population. For example, a factory will add some production to a city. You might've been looking at a 9 population city with an 11 production. I've considered changing how those numbers are displayed, because you wouldn't be the first to be confused by that. I could switch to the "Civiliation" model, where the number is the population. I could also add a bonus number underneath the city to indicate the production bonus.

I would like to see an improved/quicker population mechanic, I don't want my ten population cities to turn into twenty-seven population mega cities by the end of the game. However, especially when I am running with +50 or higher food production it seems strange tha my ten pop city doesn't manage to at least reach fifteen by the end of the game.

The current cap of 25 population accomplishes some of that, although you cap population growth based on the initial population. I see two other suggestions in there though: increased population growth based on excess food, and a system that sort of works like the refugee idea (a temporary decrease in population).

It would be nice if you select (chance) what you wanted to bomb?

Population?

Production?

Factories?

The funny thing about that is that the game was originally setup to do that. The early units couldn't pick targets (it was random), but later units (like the cruise missile) could pick their target. I need to fix some things with the system, though. Right now, there's still the issue of "what if the target no longer exists". In that case, the unit should probably just attack a random target.

I think making effects of strategic bombing and shelling of cities and resources temporary, would be a good thing, ie. production in city and resource output will be affected the turn it's bombed, but will then return to normal. Historically casualties due to population/terror-bombing are fairly small. Targetting production centres is by far more effecient.

I think it would certainly be interesting to have a mechanic allowing temporary degradation of resources, kind of like the pillage command from Civilization (dang I named it..now I'll be accused of trying to make a Civ clone :) )

Anyway with strategic bombers it could be interesting to be able to bomb resources like wheat/oil/gold and produce a temporary drop after a few turns of bombing.

Example :- if you attack a (7) wheat resource 10 times (this could be 10 bombers at once or 2 bombers over 5 turns or etc) it would give the resource a -2 penalty. Effectively you would be forced into parking a flak or artillery unit on the resource to defend it.

Although it would probably be a nightmare to code for the AI especially on the defensive side when they routinely ignore massive deficits in everything. On the offensive side it could be a useful tool for sneakier AIs and player vs player games.

~edit~

Maybe make it an optional rule until the AI is developed enough to take advantage of it.