CMSF won't run on new 64 bit i7 system

CMSF's menu screen will launch at and use the current desktop resolution. Once it game it will use the resolution setting in the Options panel. The 'display size.txt' file will be the default resolution selection when you enter the horizontal - vertical - refresh rate numbers into the file. You can change this setting in the Options panel and the 'display size.txt' resolution will be one of the discrete resolution options available. Only one resolution can be written into this file (you will not be able to extend the list of discrete resolutions by more than one particular resolution).

Using a display's "native resolution" is usually best, but the problem with that is that it creates a much higher graphics burden for the video card. Higher resolutions will result in lower frame rates, especially when there is a lot on screen (trees, buildings, etc.). CMSF automatically adjusts some of the texture settings, etc. in order to manage the video memory required to run the game, but it generally doesn't have a wide range of options (from what I can tell), so you may not lose a whole lot graphically with a higher resolution.

So using a display's 'native resolution' will result in a sharper appearing screen display, but really high resolutions will result in a lowered frame rate or possibly a shorter 'horizon' for items to be drawn on screen.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried functioning at 1280x960 but CMSF still wouldn't run. (And it's very hard to read stuff on the screen at that res as everything is so huge - so have reverted back to my max res.)

I uninstalled and re-installed the base CMSF. Still doesn't work, but I went thru all your check points:

display size .txt is back to 0 0 (I note that there is no third "0" re refresh rate.)

LicCtrlService is in Services and it is running.

Runservice.exe and mmfs.dll and lcmmfu.cpl are in the Windows folder.

However...

Runservice.exe is NOT present in Start Task Manager under either the Processes or Services tab.

There is no receipt.txt in the CMSF directory.

(I note that every time I try to start CMSF or most any other app, I get a window asking me "if I want to allow... to make changes" etc. I still wonder if I have an incompatible security setting somewhere.)

I looked at DEP and tried reselecting "...DEP for essential programs..." no effect. Then I selected "...except those I select" and added CM Shock Force.exe.

But, I wonder if I am doing this correctly: I click on Add... then find the CMSF folder and double click on CM Shock Force.exe. What then appears in the DEP window is "CM Shock Force.exe." Didn't you say that the extension shouldn't be seen?

I also added Runservice in the same way. (Again, I see Runservice.exe in the DEP window.) I rebooted, but CMSF still won't start. This time, I get no error message however(!)

I get the feeling eveything revolves around not being able license properly - and possibly an internet connection issue with BFC due to my security settings. For example, I notice that I have "Internet Protected Mode: On."

At some (not all) sites, I cannot d/l files and get a "Your current internet settings do not allow this file to be downloaded."

What level should I have my Security and Privacy settings at?

Based on what you already know about my system and what we tried, what next should I do first?

Thanks...

This forum is generally "informal" tech support, but I have given you most of the answers and solutions that I know of.

Your 'display size.txt' file should have three zeros (0 0 0) for it to be properly formatted, but it is possibly seeing just one zero and ignoring it.

In Windows 7 you will NOT see "Runservice.exe" in the Processes or Services lists of the Task Manager. Instead it will appear as 'LicCtrlService' in the Services tab.

With no 'receipt.txt' file in either the '\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force' directory or '\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force' directory, then the game should assume that you are NOT licensed and show you a license dialog box.

For DEP, you provided two file listings that were related to CMSF. You only needed one. If the DEP panel shows a ".exe", then that is fine. It really doesn't matter as long as you have selected the correct file. The 'Runservice.exe' is also need, as you've added already.

The "Internet Protected Mode: On", is this your Microsoft Internet Explorer browser in the lower right hand corner saying this ? If it is, then it is the security settings of Internet Explorer that are in that mode.

If you've never seen the license dialog box, then that would be the primary reason why the game is not running. It is unlicensed and the 'Runservice.exe / LicCtrlService' will PREVENT THE GAME FROM RUNNING IF IT IS NOT LICENSED. You should get the license dialog box everytime you attempt to run the game if it is not licensed.

We have seen some internet-security applications block the working of the license dialog box, but usually they DO NOT block the actual launching of the dialog box. We've seen ZoneAlarm/Kaspersky's browser security bar (Force Field ?) block the license dialog box from contacting the license servers. It requires uninstalling this piece of software to allow eLicense to contact the licensing server. But we're not aware of any anti-virus/internet security programs preventing the launching of the license dialog box itself. This is where the 'elicen40.dll' and 'msvcr71.dll' files come into play. The code in these files is what is loaded up to run the license dialog box. The 'msvcr71.dll' is a Microsoft coded and provided .DLL file, so most anti-virus programs should recognize it in some manner.

Your download issues with Internet Explorer can be managed from the 'Internet Options' control panel, which is linked within Explorer by going to the 'Tools' menu and selecting 'Internet Options' on the bottom. You can change your security settings in either the 'Security' tab by selecting 'Internet' at the top and adjusting the vertical slider in the 'Security level for this zone' or clicking the 'Custom level..' button to get a finer approach to what to allow or disallow. Perhaps setting the slider to 'Medium' from the default 'Medium-high' may allow for some downloads. Similar selections are available in the 'Advanced' tab that provides more technical detail on what to enable or disable. Broadly speaking these setting should not affect CMSF or PT Boats and eLicense.

I do have receipt.txt in the '\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force' directory.

However, receipt.txt doesn't appear in the regular CMSF directory.

So, I copied receipt.txt to the main CMSF directory, so that they both have the file. Still no start. Rebooting didn't help.

I wanted to try unlicensing, turning ZoneAlarm off and relicense.

I tried the unlicense option off my START menu, but get "Application failed..." again! Ok, I thought, the game hasn't licensed properly like you suggested. I uninstalled and reinstalled. But, there is NO option to "license" the game - only an "uninstall" option that won't start.

So, while I can uninstall, I don't know how to unlicense and then license again.

It's as if the app is at war with itself and can't decide whether or not it is actually licensed.

I want to try installing without ZoneAlarm or AVG running - in case they are what is causing the problems.

But, first I have to be able to "unlicense" my game from the computer. It seems crazy that I cannot unlicense CMSF. Is there a way to do this manually or from your location online?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got CMSF running. The culprit seems to be ZoneAlarm Toolbar. This needs to be uninstalled via CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS AND FEATURES before installing CMSF.

To be safe, the best thing may be to ALSO shut down ZA completely before attempting to install.

I did the above, uninstalled and unlicensed and then reinstalled and relicensed base game plus both modules and 1.21 patch and game runs fine.

I started ZA again and game still runs fine. So, don't install ZAToolbar.