Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Laptop advice

Hey, I'm not tech-savvy at all. Been out of the CM scene for awhile - no CMSF for me on my old Mac. I want to get a laptop. I've been looking at HPs; I want to get one that's good for CMSF and for the next couple of years. I've been looking at the following model( can you tell me if it 's good enough for that purpose?):

HP Pavilion DV6-1280US 16-Inch Entertainment Laptop

Technical Details

• AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-87 Dual-Core Mobile Processor, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with up to 1 GB dedicated memory

• 6 GB DDR2 RAM (2 Dimm) (8 GB Max)

• 500GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA), SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with LightScribe and Double Layer Support

• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1

• 16 inch Diagonal High Definition HP LED BrightView Display (1366x768)

--------------------------------

thanks in advance

I believe this laptop should work for CMSF and future CMx2 titles. The CPU is 2.4GHz in speed and is roughly equivalent to an Athlon64 X2 5400+. The video card should also be sufficient with its 320 'stream processors'.

The issues that you may run into are with the ATI/AMD Radeon video drivers, which do work at the moment, but do have some issues from time to time. Currently there appears to be an issue with 'Vertical Sync' and the latest drivers (not really a MAJOR issue, but an issue none-the-less). For the record Nvidia is also imperfect and has a significant issue with their current video drivers too (a bit more annoying than the ATI issue).

Laptops do tend to age badly when it comes to gaming since so many of the components are integrated and non-upgradeable. I believe this laptop will do well for awhile however and probably be capable of playing the next two major CMx2 titles (WWII) if your performance expectations aren't too high.