PT Boat In A Nutshell

snappy

Hello Snappy here,

I recently purchased PT Boats via there D/L site. After the install I was all set to make headway and dive into a graphics rich simulation that promised to be cutting edge. Ihave to say I was disappointed.

First, the game is not a first person simulation as you would expect I.E, Wolves of the Pacific. Rather an arcade style "place your quarter in the machine" type game. No rich enviroment ..no in depth game play...no eye candy even though it makes use of dx10.. No historical significance as well as having lack luster ambient sound. Oh yeah and the voices in the game,well you judge for yourself. This works best as a strategy game in the look down view like command and conquer. You can control your PT boats guns in first person, for the rare air battle or torpedo attack.The other ships you can control in a view which is that of an aim site only. There is know entering stations such as a wheel house, gun turret, deck area,and so on. I find that the game repeats itself. Protect the ships,destroy the ship,keep the transport safe. The GUI is at best awkward to utilize. This is clearly the fault of a company willing to take advance payments and not willing to advance on thier promises. Again until some talented Modder or other team get a hold of this title it should be placed on the back burner until they can get themselves out of the 90"s with the platform they used. This whole DX10-11 thing also better get its "arse" in gear. I am getting very tired of hearing the tales of wow and no one delivering. I guess us PC gamers are falling by the wayside. Its much more profitable for these guys to make xbox games so you can buy the software and then pay 15 a month to use it. Oh yeah I dont want to even get into the fact that they dont even host servers to use. You have to do it yourself. Basically "In my opinion" they invested as little as possible and gave you a " Game" ... Lemmings could be more entertaining!!!

Have you ever played wolves of the pacific snappy? No really that did not repeat itself?

In the Russian demo I played I could enter all the stations I needed too, the bridge, the gun station turrets...... I sincerely hope battlefront have not changed the game so much from the Russian demo.....

Destraex,

Yes I have played Silent Hunter3 and wolves of the pacific. They both are rich in storyline and for there time graphically pleasing. Yes they dont appear to repeat themselves either. However if your thinking about buying this product i would not. At least not at this time. If you make your purchase dont expect alot. The "Arcade type GAME" is not going to immerse you into anything.:(

If your a fan of the previously mentioned products then stay with them. I am currently looking for mods for them to keep those games alive. Both SH3 and SH4 have similar issues with server problems as well. I believe this is partly because EA has a patent on the dedicated server thing. This is what I have heard anyway. This is forcing other promising developers who wish to utilize a good multiplayer experiance from getting anywhere.:eek:

Got this one now snappy.... its a one of a kind game really as its PT boats subject matter.

The rudder does auto centre itself

I can enter all positions as expected

I have to play it some more but it does look great and seem to be what I played in the Russian demo - a barrel load of fun....

What it does need is a mission editor...

You know their is already an expansion in the works for the med?

Well ok then....if there already going put out a mission editor so more content can be added thats good news. Sadly you would have thought it to be in there from the start. Hopefully some patch work will be in there as well. As like any software product,none of them are perfect the first time out. I will not take it off my hard drive just yet because we all know sometimes it takes a bit more "molding of the clay" to get fine pottery.:)

Enjoy that barrel load of fun...you may be floating in it....

What's great about this game is that it uses the Storm Engine - famous for a lot of pirate games from Sea Dogs to City of Abandoned Ships.

It's a highly moddable engine that should allow for gigantic community project potential... provided we have access to the game config. files like we do for the Age of Sail variants of this engine.