Release date?

Very well said, JJ. I couldn't agree with you more.

And with that in mind, I think I'll give it one more try on the Intro. to Vets thread...;):D

Before anyone starts to believe we randomly lock up threads, keep in mind what John has stated that the ones that were locked up in the past, and this goes way back, were always at the point where proper discourse had gone out the window and posters had become unusually belligerent towards each other. If you are way off topic we may have moved the discussion to the appropriate General Forum or of course locked it up if you were a spammer.

Either way, the old riots in these forums that caused the lock ups in the first place have not happened in a long time, probably why this whole discussion may be a surprise to any of the new posters, and I think you can all guess who the main *agitators* in this regard were.

After several warnings and a few bannings over the past few years, notably to Kuniworth and Rambo, things have definitely become more civil and this is a good thing from my point of view.

So that being said, carry on gentlemen :)

Hubert

Look at it this way. The longer it takes the better it will be, and hopefully there will be only a few bugs.

I do have to wonder though if this might have been released (title), a little bit too early. There has been speculation about this game for a very long time (every since SC2 v1.08). In conclusion though I'm sure this game will meet if not virtually annihilate it's very high expectations.

While in hindsight it may have been better to officially announce this game a bit later, keep in mind that we were hoping to have things wrapped by Christmas and likely would have been had I not injured my back, those few months took much more out of me than I was expecting as I had a lot of trouble sitting at the computer for quite a while.

Sometimes a lot is within our control but often the most random thing can happen that is completely out of your control and this is unfortunately the case with what happened for this game.

But, and this is a big BUT, the game is really shaping up and the main campaign is playing fantastically well both in multiplayer and against the AI. Really all we have left is to put the finishing touches on the remaining campaigns and we are about 75% there. So when I say we are close, we really are close.

As an aside, this game is a huge project and not one that is easily completed as we really are talking about the whole world, with Europe, Africa, Asia, the Pacific and so on all taken into account by the AI with land units, air units, naval units, amphibious assaults, transports, fleets, fleet screens etc., which not very many (similar) games can handle or have handled well.

Hopefully this also recognizes some of the other posts that ask when the game will be done and why it takes time and really why I often do not have the time to post as often as I would like.

As mentioned before, we are getting there and will hopefully be there soon enough :)

Hubert

Hubert, most of the people who have joined during the past several years wouldn't know how much of a work in progress SC-1 was after its release. This certainly wasn't because you rushed it, but because once it went past the play testing phase to actually being picked apart by Kuni, Rambo, Teriff, Zapsweden and so many others all of the untapped potential (such as the adding of arrows for going around the Cape of Good Hope etc) were added, and the inevitable flaws corrected, along with various improvements you came up with, so that after a couple of years several patches were released, each of them greatly improving the game and, in the end, making it heads and shoulders better than the original.

I think you've since chosen to hold back a bit before a release, double checking things you may have missed that the play testers didn't catch either, and always taking advantage of your gained experience.

And that, to me, is much better than releasing a game that isn't quite ready -- I can visualize your comment about how when something changes in development it ripples along, affecting other aspects that seemed in place but suddenly need adjusting as well.

It's like a writer finishing a novel only to realize the main character has a long lost diabolical sibling whose been causing all the trouble in the previous 23 chapters. :eek::D

Appreciated Snowstorm. Here's hoping some more of the old timers come back again. :cool::)

Yes! Even Caligula and his nephew Nero understood that. :eek::D

And with a few posts and a couple of days having passed since the last pothole, I want to say there are two sides to my friend Kuniworth, and his good side, in my opinion anyway, far outweighs the side that creates problems, mainly for himself. His sense of humor, though decidedly eccentric, is a big plus for any website, and at SC he's always been one of the most devoted players and greatest contributors to the forums. When he feels like adding an historical comment I always pay close attention to what he has to say, especially with regard to the USSR (okay, so he's a commie! :D).

Anyway, just wanted to add this somewhere. :cool:

Before anyone starts to believe we randomly lock up threads

Hubert

It was unfair saying you randomly lock up threads. But that's how I feel about it, I miss the old days with all the wild discussions. I can give you an example, I remember the ronald reagan thread that just kept on going despite beeing off topic(finally locked due to spammers "aid"). But if it had been along the release of a new game it would have been locked immediately. Reason for this is of course as Moon once put it, that you dont have the time to look into all threads, but I also believe that you are loosin up on moderating on "low seasons". When there is no new relase etc it's easier for threads to be allowed to stray off topic. So why not apply the same level of moderating all the time?

That's what makes it so weird that we could talk all kind of thrash to each other in the ronald reagan thread and nothing happened. Now suddenly Rambo got banned when some dude cried bloody murder in some heated discussion. Excuse me for having a hard time knowing what you can discuss or not without getting banned or locked up. And speaking off topic how come ronald reagan can even be discussed in an sc forum without locking it?

Either way, the old riots in these forums that caused the lock ups in the first place have not happened in a long time, probably why this whole discussion may be a surprise to any of the new posters, and I think you can all guess who the main *agitators* in this regard were.

Hubert

Yeah I remember that menace, we were all deeply chocked. Jim Boggs or Jersey was the name right?

After several warnings and a few bannings over the past few years, notably to Kuniworth and Rambo, things have definitely become more civil and this is a good thing from my point of view.

Actually I think you are wrong here. Lucky Elephant holds the record.

The thing is you never know where a thread will lead to. This was proven recently when a thread that was supposed to be about WWII books wandered so far afield that it soon became a discussion of speculations. Fortunately it wasn't locked and we were able to cut and paste those posts to a new thread that is actually about WWII speculations!

In that very long ago Ronald Reagan Memorial thread I remember a lot of good stuff popping up. Along the way there was the inevitable political conflict, which could hardly have been avoided being it was a thread about a former U. S. president -- his only relevance to WWII being movies he'd been in while an actor. I'm pretty sure that thread wound up being locked, and justifiably so, but along the way it did have a lot of good posts.

Liam started a thread probably even earlier than that one, I think it was called Historical What-Ifs of SC that was one of the best I've seen at any website I've ever been a member of. A lot of it was about WWII, but a lot of it ranged from the Ancient Persians, Mayans, Aztecs et al, and generated a lot of interest with people posting in it who never turned up before, or after. Unfortunately that too wound up becoming confrontational and was, in my opinion justifiably, locked.

I think the membership has changed a little over the years, a lot of the confrontational attitude seems to have vanished. From what I'm seeing the people posting here now are interested in discussing things rather than fighting over them.

One of the things I like is there's more of a tendency now to read and respond to posts rather than just writing something that is only relevant to the top of the thread. It used to be particularly annoying because people would pop in writing something as though it were groundbreaking when, in fact, it was being discussed to death already. :confused::D

And then there were the guys who just liked to argue, fight, whatever. I guess they were the truest game players because they approached everything as though it were a battle, including other people's posts.

Anyway, having not posted, or even lurked here in so long I'm not about to offer an opinion about how the place is run now. But it seems inevitable to me that it's evolved over the years. From what I see its gotten a lot better and, like Kuni, I hope there will always be room for historically relevant threads and comments: I do definitely remember a time where it seemed the only tolerance was for game mechanics. I don't think it was a deliberate policy, but coming in and reading those threads was downright boring, so I stopped coming.

All forums are best when there are threads in them that have enough diversification so there's something of interest for all the members.

But ultimately it's the moderators who determine what the mood of the place is going to be. Can't say I see anything to complain about since returning. I think what Kuni is regards past actions being avoided in the future. Fair enough as long is its understood it isn't a complaint against present policies, which I don't think it is.

-- I have to add that in the first website I set up I went just a little screwy and kicked something like 70 of its 100 members out in a single week. :eek: That was five years ago. Somehow the place has never quite recovered. :rolleyes::D

The culture of the world has changed. Everybody gets bent if they don't "feel good". There is no place for an opinion, especially an opinion that somebody else doesn't like.

I could careless, do whatever you want. Think whatever you want. In regards to the game, try whatever strategy you want. Bottom line, with no Terif playing SC anymore, I'm King of the Hill. Overall & statistically, I'm the best play in the World. Far as smack, mine is all backed with solid game play.

Lucky Zebra is one of the coolest players in the SC-Family. The dude is a clown while also a top online gamer.

@LuckyZebra --- Give me a call on Sunday, we'll meet up after church, have a couple brews & watch the NFL playoffs.

-Legend, Captain of Team USA

While in hindsight it may have been better to officially announce this game a bit later, keep in mind that we were hoping to have things wrapped by Christmas and likely would have been had I not injured my back, those few months took much more out of me than I was expecting as I had a lot of trouble sitting at the computer for quite a while.

Sometimes a lot is within our control but often the most random thing can happen that is completely out of your control and this is unfortunately the case with what happened for this game.

But, and this is a big BUT, the game is really shaping up and the main campaign is playing fantastically well both in multiplayer and against the AI. Really all we have left is to put the finishing touches on the remaining campaigns and we are about 75% there. So when I say we are close, we really are close.

As an aside, this game is a huge project and not one that is easily completed as we really are talking about the whole world, with Europe, Africa, Asia, the Pacific and so on all taken into account by the AI with land units, air units, naval units, amphibious assaults, transports, fleets, fleet screens etc., which not very many (similar) games can handle or have handled well.

Hopefully this also recognizes some of the other posts that ask when the game will be done and why it takes time and really why I often do not have the time to post as often as I would like.

As mentioned before, we are getting there and will hopefully be there soon enough :)

Hubert

Believe me when I say this I'm not complaining, I'm just making a general observation. Of course random events do happen in life, and all you can do is adjust to them.

Fact is I would be fine with waiting to February if it meant that the game would be better.

Believe me when I say this I'm not complaining, I'm just making a general observation. Of course random events do happen in life, and all you can do is adjust to them.

Fact is I would be fine with waiting to February if it meant that the game would be better.

Scotty is right.