CMAK Horizon caught in some weird loop

You're seeing the "infamous Vista bug" that required the 1.04 Vista patch (which, unfortunately, is NOT free).

For a number of users, updating (or possibly back-dating, in some cases) the video driver may address this issue. The 1.04 "Vista patch" for CMBB and CMAK (a separate purchase for each game) is a patch that addresses some DirectX code and rewrites it for DirectX10/11 compatibility. At the time people who upgraded to Vista AND had a DirectX 10 compatible video card saw this problem. If your card was only DirectX 9 compatible and you upgraded to Vista, you probably wouldn't not have seen this problem.

What video card and driver are you using and what Service Pack is your Vista install patched to (not that I know of any specific update that helps address this issue) ?

Though it won't fix this issue, you may want to upgrade your DirectX install with this DirectX web-based update.

Something else to note, if you have an old copy of CMBB and CMAK that uses disc-based copy protection, the 1.04 patch will change that. It uses eLicense, so you will not need the CD to run the game, but you will have to watch out for licensing and unlicensing the game properly when necessary AND you will be limited to two concurrent installs being active. You can have more installs, but you can't play them until you UNLICENSE one copy to free up an activation.

Thanks.

Of course, nothings ever easy.

I've DLed and installed the 1.04 patch, licensed it, and not watch Vista advise me that the program won't work at all. *sigh* Back to the drawing board.... Actually, in the new year, back to XP I think. Like so many others, I got a new computer and => got vista. But, it's crap and I don't need the problems it needlessly presents me with in using this and other games. *rolls eyes*

I thank you for your help.

You received an error trying to run the 1.04 patch ? So you got a 'success' message when licensing the patch, but you get an error message when attempting to run the game ?

Do you have an anti-virus/firewall/internet-security application running ? You may need to add some exceptions to it to allow all of the eLicense programs to run ('\Windows\Runservice.exe', '\Windows\mmfs.dll', '\Windows\lcmmfu.cpl' and possibly CMAK itself).

What video card and drivers are you using in Vista. As I mentioned earlier, later drivers for Vista fixed the issue for a majority of people.

Admittedly I'm not a big fan of the changes that Vista brought and I tend to prefer XP myself. However CMAK should be able to work on your machine, especially with the 1.04 patch.