Current state of CM:SF (AI&quick battle)

Hawk66

Hi folks,

I've bought CM:SF almost from the beginning but never reallly got into since of some quality problems ;-) that time and real-life stuff afterwards.

So, my focus would be single-player and quick battles. I mostly like random battles with a few units. Do you think it's worth for me to get the British module? Are the QB maps fun now...is the AI sufficient? I know that AI is not like a human player...it just should provide some challenges and not do always the same things...like the AI in Winspmbt if you guys know this (also) great game!

Thanks for any comments...

I'm very happy with the Brit module as someone who plays almost exclusively single player. Some of the stand alone missions on the disk are awesome. Can't recommend the quick battles though in all honesty. I've only tried 4, and only 1 since the Brit module came out. That, after fair amount of time, revealed all the AI units lined up in the start positions. No AI plan for the map, although that may just be because of not all the maps updated properly on my computer. But still, I've only had 1 QB that was playable, and that was still pretty unevenly balanced.

If you want QBs, wait to see how the Normandy release does them. If you are happy with single player missions from the disk and the repository, then the Brits are well worth the money.

The original QB maps have been thoroughly reworked to work better with the current AI. Can someone tell Hawk66 where to download 'em? I believe someone once mentioned that he had more than 200 QB maps? Does that sound right?

Brit module has a large number of standalone scenarios, playable either side. And don't forget the scenario designers have had more experience so there's a low percentage of clunkers in the batch. For some reason people only talk equipment and don't focus on the fresh scenarios when contemplating a module purchase. My two favorite scenarios are off the Marine and Brit modules! :)

I definitely recommend buying the Brits. The scenarios are much better then CMSFs original one and the Brit vehicles are a hoot. The AI in this is more competent as scen designers gotten better at instructing it. Still... it's AI. I wouldn't expect much from any AI in any game, really. Also, infantry tacAI has been better, though you get that with the patches too.

QBs. Still not in great shape. The new maps look better and play better but the dud ones don't seem to have been entirely removed, nor has the balancing problems been addressed. I've not used QBs in a while, and why would you with a great many user made scenarios?

I mostly like random battles with a few units.

Me too. Unfortunately, CM:SF does not really shine in this regards. I would love to play a 20 minute tiny battle every now and then, but the force selection there is sub-optimal. Last time, and I admit it was fun - kinda - I got a couple of Jackals fighting against a couple of Humvees. The Jackals won, but it sure was an awkward setup.

Do you think it's worth for me to get the British module?

Absolutely. Plays very different than the US.

Best regards,

Thomm

I wouldn't expect much from any AI in any game, really.

The one caviat is if you use self restraint in playing against the AI.

If you don't fly around the battlefield Godlike, if you don't repeatedly replay a moment in order to spot the exact location of that hidden ATGM, if don't quit out of the game and restart if something goes wrong, then the AI can give a run for your money. We really are our own worst enemies when trying to extract fun out of the game. ;)

I also made up my mind that i will be getting the British Module after Christmas.This game is great and I don't think we should miss out on the Brits mod or any other mod to be honest.

I never really play Quick Battles,there's to many good user made missions and campaigns to download and play, so quick battle for me is basically untouched.

Problem with QBs mostly, from what i can tell, is that there's only one group handled by AI... So rifle platoon and Tank platoon will move across same route or set up in same area. Which of course generates quite odd results. And usually QBs are more or less saddening experiences, atleast i don't remember when i last time felt enjoyment of playing QB.

Without increasing AI groups and making them "dedicated" (forexample: Group 1 being tanks, Group 2 being infantry, Group 3 being AT-assents... Or something) i can't see that system could be much improved even with smart AI planning: How does one plan well when he has to issue same setup positions for tanks, APCs, IFVs, ATGMs, riflesquads, MGs etc??? Just hoping that future titles will tune QB system to this (or similar) direction.

Or am i (once again) ill-informed about fact that QBs uses just one group in it's plan?