Windows 7 fps issue

Pak40

I have two issues that I hope someone can help me with.

A rather minor but annoying issue is that the camera control is rather slow or sticky. The camera doesn't change immediately after clicking one of the camera control buttons, rather it seems to take a fraction of a second before the view changes. Also, when the view does change it is not fluid or transitional but rather instant.

The major issue I have is during playback of the action. Moving units are not fluidly moving. There is a serious reduction in FPS. Fraps gives me an average of 3 fps. The two issues are probably related.

I currently have AA forced on 8x to resolve the other issue that is typical of Windows 7 machines. I have tried almost every other 3D control in the Nvidia panel: vsync, thread optimazaton, AA x 2, AA x 4, max pre rendred frames set to various numbers... All have the same results: about 3 fps.

I have also tried XP and Win98 compatibility modes.

My setup:

Asus G71 laptop with Windows 7, 64bit

Core 2 Duo, 6Gb RAM

Nvidia GTX 260M

This has recently been upgraded from Vista but CMAK was reinstalled after the upgrade and I'm pretty sure all drivers are current but I will check just in case.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

As far as I'm aware the "compatibility modes" are unnecessary and won't do anything for most 3D games.

I don't know how well the latest Nvidia drivers work with the CMx1 titles. You might want to downgrade to the 186 driver for Windows 7 and see if that helps or not. Nvidia 186.81 Windows 7 64-bit driver for Notebooks (I'm not sure if the HP can use the Nvidia driver or if it has to be a HP-provided driver).

Not that it may make much of a difference, but are you running the 1.03 patch or the 1.04 ("Vista patch") patch ?

Has your problem only occurred in Windows 7 and not Vista ? How was the performance in Vista and do you recall what driver version you were using in Vista ?