What kind of computer do I need to make stuff faster?

Hey guys, I'm no tech-dude. But I do play my share of strategy games. For both SC-2 & SC-Pacific it took longer to boot on two different laptops. This is also happening for other games like Stronghold-2 & World Empires Live. I only play FPS on at my In-Laws, he's got all the bigtime video card stuff.

So, if I want these strategy games to boot to run faster, what do I REALLY NEED? I'm currently running Windows-7, 32-bit, Intel Celeron 900, 2 GB, DDR2 RAM, 250 GB, HDD.

What's the scoop? How can I get the boot times faster? My old work laptop booted SC-2 & SC-Pacific in like 15 seconds, my laptop(s) is 2 minutes.

Where is the threshold for the cheapest cost? I'm tired of waiting, but willing to upgrade computers for SC-Global. I've been buying the cheapo low end laptops at Bestbuy.

Stay Thirsty My Friends,

-Legend

@SM --- I buy the "low end" for laptops, because they get bounced around in travel, & I expect them to die in 2-years. When I'm at work, I played SC-2 against Terif, game boots in like 10 seconds or less. Game loads faster, etc. Same story with SC-Pacific, Strongholds, and now World Empire's Live. The memory on my current computer is more than my work computer?

I don't have clue? You guys playing games on Laptops? Just seems Laptops are slower. Maybe I should take my games down to BestBuy.

Stay Thirsty My Friends,

-Legend

JJR,

The easiest thing to do would be to add more RAM to the laptop. If you go to crucial.com they have a utility that will tell you if you can put more RAM in the machine and exactly what type you would need. As for laptops try not to purchase any with a Celeron processor. They are bargain basement chips - hence the low prices. You are running the newest Operating System Windows 7 which requires alot of RAM (not as much as Vista but still more than XP) with a dated processor and I beleive that is why you are seeing such slow speeds. If your laptop has XP drivers then putting XP on it would speed it up also but that would require redoing your whole laptop.

When looking for your next laptop look for one with Pentium processor and at least 3 Gb's of RAM - 4 GB if you are running the 64bit version of Windows 7. If price is a factor look for one with an AMD processor but try to stay away from the Celerons.

Don't know if I can guaranty that, but I've always had Dells and they have always been responsive to SC.

Currently I have a LP Vostro 17, 2 G RAM, 120G HD, running Vista, I did get a 256 Meg Graphics card, but it runs flawlessly (where's some wood?). Hubert did help me tweak it, turned off some multi-media operations and loaded the game into its own folder under the C drive, not in the "programs" folder, nothing complicated.