TOW2 Centauro NOT working with Windows 7, Help!

hellas1

Are you getting any error? What exactly is happening when you try to install? Does the CD spin out, or are you getting errors during the installation? Just saying "it won't install" usually is not enough for a description for us to be able to help out.

Just like the other games, Centauro needs to be installed and launched with full admin rights. Try copying the install file (the big exe file) from the CD to your HD, set to to "run as admin" and try installing from there.

Hi Moon,

I checked HP's website (I have an HP computer) for Win 7 drivers for my dvd drive, which can read cd's, and none were posted yet.

The game cd spins but I can't even open the dvd drive to copy the .exe and run it that way.

Do you think that this is a driver issue or a dvd drive issue?

My drive does read certain disks, not others and Win Media Player doesn't work at all when I put any music cd in the drive.

Thanks,

hellas1

hellas1 - are there any firmware/BIOS updates for your DVD drive ? Most of the time firmware updates for optical drives typically improve burning compatibility and a few other issues. It seems strange that the drive will not read certain 'manufactured' discs. Most of the time when issues like this occur it is because of certain 'disc-based copy protection measures' that 'record bad sectors' in the disc, but none of our (Battlefront distributed) discs use such protection measures.

If you have any anti-virus programs running, disable them temporarily and see if that helps (it most likely won't in this case, but worth a try).

You could also reboot Windows into Safe Mode (press F8 as soon as your computer passes the initial POST screens, but BEFORE the Windows logo/loading bar shows up). This may prevent certain drivers from loading and may allow full access to your optical drive. If that does work, then just copy the file from the Centauro disc and once that is completed, reboot into a normal mode and run the install from there (with a right-click on the setup file and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu).

If nothing ends up allowing your computer to read the Centauro disc, is there another computer you can try reading the disc on ? If so, assuming that it can read the disc, get a USB flash memory drive/stick (1GB +) and copy the file to it and then back over to your HP.

Hi all,

I tried Normal bootup

I tried Selective bootup

I tried Safe mode bootup

I even unplugged the DVD drive, uninstalling it first in Device Manager, and then replugged it.

Same issues.

Nothing works.

Something unusual happened though:

Windows media player's console WILL eject a cd in the DVD drive!?!

HP is my computer brand, and they haven't released any drivers for Windows 7. That might be THE issue, I don't know.

I have also noticed that my DVD drive make a strange "zip" or "irk" noise first when trying to read TOW2 Centauro, but it never reads it at all in the end.

This also happens with other PC game software and ALL music cds.

I'm going to go to Best Buy and buy a new DVD drive and replace mine and then we'll see what's going on. Is it Win 7 ultimate doing it or my DVD drive dying?

I suspect that my DVD drive is probably on it's way out, dunno.

Thanks folks,

hellas1

Any insights are still appreciated.

I had something like this happen a few years ago when the laser went on my DVD burner about 2 weeks after buying it. It made those kind of noises when trying to read, and apart from the laser the drive was physically OK. Since it was new the shop gave me a replacement with no hassle.

Cheers