Nuking enemy's units does not cause war?

lordxorn

I am curious, I just nuked a super stack of USSR's units on their own island, and not in one of their cities.

Is this not suppose to cause a state of war? I thought it was cool that it didn't, because I am seriously outnumbered. :D I am going to try nuking another super stack this in a city where the unit number indicator is a "+" lol, before a war dec.

BTW, AWESOME nuke effects. :D

I am curious, I just nuked a super stack of USSR's units on their own island, and not in one of their cities.

Is this not suppose to cause a state of war? I thought it was cool that it didn't, because I am seriously outnumbered. :D I am going to try nuking another super stack this in a city where the unit number indicator is a "+" lol, before a war dec.

BTW, AWESOME nuke effects. :D

I think the original reason I didn't make this automatically trigger war is because nukes have an area-effect. This means an ally could inadvertently get a unit accidentally caught in the blast radius, and you wouldn't want to suddenly find yourself at war with an ally because he happened to drive a unit into the target area. Although, there's something wrong the way it's currently setup.

I have had some bizarre results when using nuclear bombers so far. What exactly is supposed to happen on a nuclear bombing run?

Sometimes they drop their load and return to fly more missions.

Sometimes they self destruct when dropping them.

At least once a bomber dropped the bomb and disappeared but the message said he ran out of fuel rather than self destructed. He shouldn't have had any fuel problems.

The last bomber I sent out dropped and disappeared with no message at all.

I tried to bomb the units on one of those little islands with nothing but a city on a rock and enough room for a four man color guard. Except the AI had about twenty units stacked there outside the city. The bomber simply would not drop on them. I tried three times and he flew over and returned twice and ran out of gas the other time.

Personally, I would like to see the minimum size of an island with a city increased in the map generator in an effort to rid us of those little rocks with no possible beachhead.

I have had some bizarre results when using nuclear bombers so far. What exactly is supposed to happen on a nuclear bombing run?

Sometimes they drop their load and return to fly more missions.

Sometimes they self destruct when dropping them.

At least once a bomber dropped the bomb and disappeared but the message said he ran out of fuel rather than self destructed. He shouldn't have had any fuel problems.

The last bomber I sent out dropped and disappeared with no message at all.

I tried to bomb the units on one of those little islands with nothing but a city on a rock and enough room for a four man color guard. Except the AI had about twenty units stacked there outside the city. The bomber simply would not drop on them. I tried three times and he flew over and returned twice and ran out of gas the other time.

I'm surprised. I'll run a bunch of tests today to see if I can reproduce those problems.

Okay, I may have something on this. I just flew three sorties with different Nuke bombers on the same turn to the same island, but different locations. Yamamoto had three large stacks of units on said island.

Two of the bombers dropped and returned to the airfield. The third flew his course and returned but did not drop the payload. The targeted stack is near the sea just as the ground units were on that tiny island mentioned in my previous post.

I had the field orders set to target ground units in both cases. What I am thinking is that the bomber thinks these units are not ground units due to their proximity to the water. Thus, he does not bomb them.

I seem to be able to keep using nuclear bombers as long as I do a fly over and drop on the way. If I actually target something then the bomber self destructs.

This is a game that started some time ago and there have been two or three updates installed. I know this may be part of what is happening, but the game seems to run fine otherwise so I thought I would pass this information along.

**EDIT**

Whoops! I posted this update in the wrong place. I meant to start a new thread. I was scratching my head wondering where my "Version 1.01.1203 Available" post disappeared to. Please post all subsequent comments regarding the newest update on the new update thread which I just created.

**EDIT**

Thanks for the quick update Brit, and listening to the feedback.

One thing though, I think the 70% population option doesn't go far enough. With a human and one AI, that means the human is nearly 2.5x head of the AI in population. With more than one AI the situation is even worse. Even at 60% the human player is already 1.5x ahead, and surely you'd agree that the AI will never recover from that far behind versus an experienced player? So why make the experienced player go through the motions? Personally (and other people are of course welcome to play at 90% or whatever as they please) after many years playing 4x games I really don't want to have to play the tedious mop-up end game. Please consider including a 60% victory condition in the next update (please tell me where to send the check ;) ).

Whoops! I posted this update in the wrong place. I meant to start a new thread. I was scratching my head wondering where my "Version 1.01.1203 Available" post disappeared to. Please post all subsequent comments regarding the newest update on the new update thread which I just created.