Inf. riding on tanks in Normandy?

Vinnart

Some Normandy questions: (All are features from Cmx1)

Will infantry be able to ride on tanks?

Will officers be able to spot for mortars?

Will Company Commanders ect.. be able to command infantry if close enough when the platoon leader is out of command range?

Will the feature of being able to select a unit by selecting its movement line come back to the game?

since battlefield taxis are not as common as in CMSF i verry much hope so...it would really bad if not.

Will the feature of being able to select a unit by selecting its movement line come back to the game?

again, i verry much hope so, same goes for readjusting waypoints instead of deleting the whole chain and a cover armor arc!!!

A search of this Forum came up with the following info. posted by Steve on 4-08-2008:

Features necessary for simulating WW2 ETO - Many of the things people have felt are missing in CM:SF aren't supposed to be there or aren't really all that relevant or necessary to the Syrian setting. Obviously moving to France means that some of these things need to be included. Besides the obvious stuff (temperate terrain/weather and WW2 units) major things to expect are water, bridges, AT guns, on map mortars, infantry riding on tanks, expanded defensive works, and other stuff like that. Obviously TacAI goes right along with this since these things all require new TacAI and/or improved existing TacAI. (note that TacAI is a long term "work in progress" and will never, ever be considered "done").

Features not necessary for simulating WW2 ETO - Some of the things that make contemporary warfare what it is are things which WW2 fans find "not fun". This has caused some to be unhappy with the Syrian setting simply because it isn't WW2, regardless of all other factors. Things like the extremely high lethality, asymmetric forces, the lack of "familiar" equipment, the whiz-bang technological stuff, etc. It should be obvious that this stuff will not come along for the WW2 titles, however it appears that this can get forgotten at times. Consider this a reminder.

There hasn't been a bone for Normandy in ages so I wouldn't hold my breath for any of those things Steve mentioned.

Most of them have been mentioned at one time or another. Water and bridges have been confirmed in a previous bone. AT guns can't conceivably be omitted - you simply can't have a WWII game without them surely! Improved defensive works have been discussed in the arguments about fog of war for trenches, bunkers, foxholes, command/ammo positions and so on - although exactly what else is in hasn't been confirmed. On map mortars already exist for British forces, albeit as a single mortar organic to a platoon HQ rather than an on-map battery, but the basic code is there already.

<sighs wistfully, and impatiently, at the idea of CM:N>

Some Normandy questions: (All are features from Cmx1)

I can't remember seeing this in CMx1, I'll have to go back in time and check.

In any case I'd say this feature is not all that important to a combat sim. Infantry rode on tanks to get to the battle and certainly didn't stay there once the shooting started.

Features necessary for simulating WW2 ETO - Many of the things people have felt are missing in CM:SF aren't supposed to be there or aren't really all that relevant or necessary to the Syrian setting. Obviously moving to France means that some of these things need to be included. Besides the obvious stuff (temperate terrain/weather and WW2 units) major things to expect are water, bridges, AT guns, on map mortars, infantry riding on tanks, expanded defensive works, and other stuff like that.

ah yes, i totaly forgott about this.

I can't remember seeing this in CMx1, I'll have to go back in time and check.

you could load inf on tanks nearly as like with halfracks, at least on the medium and large tanks. i used it a lot, and its often the only way to move infantry fast in areas where the enemy does not see, becouse as said, halftracks are maybe more common in CMx2 WWII but where not so in CMx1.

I'm looking forward to the German halftrack troop exits. Will they all go out the back or will some go over the side? I hope we also get full crew animations for open top SP guns.

I'd imagine none would go over the sides unless the HT is taking heavy fire or KOed. But since vehicle ramps can be damaged in CMSF, certainly possible for troops getting stuck inside with no other option but to bail out over the sides.

All for the open top crew animations though, that would look great.

Right, but look how long it took them to add it in, Brits module/update.

Im sure that the animations will be just fine. I am looking forward to both the Gun crew animations and mortar ones. Getting to finally see AT gun crews traversing and mortar crews at work will be interesting indeed.

Normandy doesn't really strike me as being a big infantry-riding-on-tanks theater. Its not exactly the eastern front. Heck it's not even the 'Champaign campaign'! Post-breakout tank-borne infantry would go all the way up from 'unlikely' to perhaps 'rare'. By the Rhur campaign in '45 some Sherman had welded ladders and hand rails to their engine decks! :D

Hi guys,

If you cannot wait for CM:Normandy and would like to revive some knowledge and share it with your frinds in a funny way, you can check my memory concentration game with WWII armored vehicles I "home-made" in few pieces for my frinds. All three main campaigns from CMx1 are available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320453979445&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Cheers,

Sedak