Units Range

Pocus

Hello,

In which unit of measure is expressed the range of units? Is it in pixel?

For example these Russian artilleries are supposed to have Unit+5 range, does it means they can fire 5 pixels away from their unit circle? It seems that their range circle (in green if not mistaken) is much bigger than that.

Just wanted to be sure, I need to refine the ranges in the editor I believe, because right now I get my rear served on a plate by them, damn Russian arties!! :)

clipboard01qlr.jpg

edit: While I'm on unit range ... what is the difference between a range of 'Unit' and 'At target' ?

And also, there is also an entry for 'Prone', is it the range to use when the unit is prone, or when firing at prone (the former I believe?)

Hello,

In which unit of measure is expressed the range of units? Is it in pixel?

Yes.

For example these Russian artilleries are supposed to have Unit+5 range, does it means they can fire 5 pixels away from their unit circle? It seems that their range circle (in green if not mistaken) is much bigger than that.

Are you using a custom ruleset? Because the normal attack range for Artillery (Class 2) is Unit+35.

Units with "Unit+0" range can attack each other when their circles overlap. (The ellipse under the unit shows you the width of the unit-circle, but the circle actually extended up and down further than the ellipse shows.) So, if a unit with "Unit+5" range can attack when it is 5 pixels away from having an overlapping circle. Looking at your screenshot, it's confusing because the range-circle is so large. Any unit who's center is within that green-circle is within attack range.

edit: While I'm on unit range ... what is the difference between a range of 'Unit' and 'At target' ?

Attack range of "Unit" means you can attack when your circles overlap. "At Target" means you have to be directly over the target. Ground and Sea units typically use "Unit+" attack ranges. They can actually block each other, so they can never be right on top of each other. Aircraft use "At Target" ranges, which means an aircraft has to move directly on top of a city, ground unit, or ship before it can attack. Aircraft don't block and cannot block other units, so that's not an issue.

And also, there is also an entry for 'Prone', is it the range to use when the unit is prone, or when firing at prone (the former I believe?)

That's the range at which you can attack a prone unit. A "prone unit" is a docked ship or a landed aircraft. This means, for example, that your SAM vehicle can attack aircraft in-flight when they are 120 pixels away. But, if the aircraft is landed, your SAM vehicle cannot engage them except at "Unit" combat range. (It would seem odd if your SAM vehicle could attack landed aircraft in a city at 120 pixels.)

Oops I missed your reply, thanks for the details.

The artilleries are modded yes (as all units, this is my custom scenario, available at the download server ;) ). They should fire at Unit+5 range, but this don't seem the case from the screenshot.

I also had infantries (unit range only) fight each other much farther that their circle, and even across body of water!

Oops I missed your reply, thanks for the details.

The artilleries are modded yes (as all units, this is my custom scenario, available at the download server ;) ). They should fire at Unit+5 range, but this don't seem the case from the screenshot.

Huh. Yeah, I can't seem to figure out what that artillery southwest of Moscow is shooting at. Although, the red combat-circle sticks around, so I can't quite tell if there was a legitimate combat occurring in the past or future that would explain it.

I also had infantries (unit range only) fight each other much farther that their circle, and even across body of water!

The combat ranges are a little weird because units are allowed to attack everything within a circle. The circle that I'm talking about isn't the ellipse around the unit; it's actually slightly larger than the ellipse in the up-down directions. I'll see about coming up with a better solution to this - something that is obvious visually.