Ideas for terrain

rich12545

We've sort of been discussing this. I'd like to suggest terrain set mods. Players could set up graphics, names and attributes. Then each set could have a title. The terrain set title could be put into the rule set (which iirc you suggested).

Also I think it would be a good idea for a rule set to be part of every scenario. That might already be in there but we haven't fooled with that so don't know. In any case, a scenario would automatically include a rule set which would include a terrain set. This would greatly enhance scenario mod making.

We've sort of been discussing this. I'd like to suggest terrain set mods. Players could set up graphics, names and attributes. Then each set could have a title. The terrain set title could be put into the rule set (which iirc you suggested).

Yeah, either the terrain goes directly inside the ruleset, or the terrain ruleset would add-to a specific ruleset (e.g. "this terrain-ruleset is linked to "Official 1900-2030"). The reason terrain-files can't be completely disconnected from rulesets is because units have terrain movement modifiers and combat modifiers. So, the infantry might move through "jungle" with a movement-modifier of 75%, but it might be impassible to vehicles. Those kinds of modifiers have to be stored somewhere. The original ruleset won't have the data, and the names of unit-types can change (not all rulesets will have an "infantry" and "vehicle" movement types; some could have "soldier", "horseback", and "chariot" movement-types).

Also I think it would be a good idea for a rule set to be part of every scenario. That might already be in there but we haven't fooled with that so don't know.

The scenarios remember what ruleset (and ruleset version) they're using. So, if you make a scenario using the "Official 1900-2030" ruleset, the scenario remembers that. And if you create your own ruleset - e.g. "My18thCenturyRules" - the scenario will remember. (In fact, if you upload your scenario to the game-servers, it will automatically upload the corresponding ruleset as well. And when people download your scenario, the servers know about the dependency, and other people will automatically download the ruleset along with the scenario.) I didn't want to put the rules directly into the scenario because it makes the files a lot bigger, and it's harder to switch rulesets. (Currently, the scenario remembers what version of the ruleset they're using. If a newer version is available, it will ask you if you want to upgrade to the most recent version of those rules.)

Sounds good.

I suggest, if it's not too difficult, make the terrain sets separate from the rule sets. That way an author wouldn't need to add all those terrain attributes into the rule set by hand every time, he could just refer to a terrain set if available. Different rule sets could refer to different terrain sets for different scenarios. It would just make everything easier. Then when someone wants to download a scenario, the appropriate rule set and terrain set could be downloaded as well. Or maybe asked in case the player already has them, or one of them.