problem with install - game won't launch

Javolenus

Hi There,

I'm running Windows XP SP3. I bought this game online from the BF website. When I ran the intall exe everything went fine until the Direct X installation - basically, Windows wouldn't allow the DirectX install and I got some error message (DirectX is already installed on my PC anyway). OK, so I cancelled the DirectX install and finished the game's installation wizard. But when I tried to launch the game for the first time, I got an error message about some file not being found. The message advised me to reinstall. Well, I did this and exactly the same stuff happened all over again. Can someone please advise? I'm feeling a bit jaded because a few days ago I also bought 'Down in Flames' and that won't work either. I'm now 70 dollars down - so it would be good to at least get ToW working. Thanks in advance for any help.

Javolenus,

there is no reason at all for any of our games not working. Have you already submitted a support ticket for DIF at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk?

You do need the latest DirectX to run TOW2. You can always grab that directly from the Microsoft website.

In order to help you, it would be useful to know *which* file wasn't found. Until then, it's all speculation.

The quickest way to get support is probably via our helpdesk.

Martin

Hi Moon and thanks for the prompt response. Here's the deal:

1. Bought and downloaded ToW2 from BF website.

2. Ran the installiation wizard, but it stalled at the DirectX installation.

3. Tried to run the game and got the error message: "ToW.exe unable to locate component - d3dx9_39.dll".

4. Uninstalled game and reinstalled with same result.

5. Uninstalled game again and downloaded what I think is the most recent version of DirectX from the Microsoft website.

6. Ran the game's installation wizard again but skipped the DirectX installation as, to my knowledge, I'd just installed it from Microsoft.

7. Tried to run the game and got the error message: "ToW.exe unable to locate component - d3dx9_39.dll".

8. Ran the game's DirectX installation wizard but it stalled with the error message: "An internal system error occurred - installation failed".

9. Logged on to this site to bring you up to date.

I'm not a computer aficionado, just an old guy trying to play a PC game.

As for the DiF issue - the game runs but I am unable to log on and play on the server. There is no Internet option for play on the game's menu. When I try to log on, I get an error message informing me that the server cannot be found. I posted a query on the DiF forum but so far have not had a response.

Well, thanks for your time - if you can offer some help that would be great. All the best.

Hi Moon,

I fixed this problem. It was a DirectX issue. I found the answer on Microsoft's website. I had to find my DirectX setup files and change the extensions from .dll to .xx and then run the update wizard. Once directX was updated ToW launched fine. Thanks for your time and all the best.