Man I Am Ready For Some WWII

Lanzfeld

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stick with the alcohol was involved. Humor changes when downing that Russian cheap vodka, doesn't it? That or you went for the canned fish from Sweden.

Rune

Steve said, "Suburb" instead of "Superb," which was what he meant to say, hence Sergei's "cityation" instead of "citation." ;)

Sorry if I spoiled your fun, Sergei.

Hello all and greetings from Helsinki, Finland,

Registered for the purpose of trying to express how happy I am to hear the news about the fact the next WW2 Combat Mission is already on its way!! Woohoo!! You will have two copies purchased the moment I can have a link with the magic word "Buy" on it :D

I purchased two copies of CMSF the first week after release, and tried to play it with the group (4) of people I play computer strategy games with, but... It just didn't work for us. I mean, it seems like a good game and all, but we couldn't get the enjoyment out of it, mainly because of: A. setting (not really interested in Syrian military) B. balance (we play everything as evenly as possible, as we've played wargames for 15 years (since we were age 14-15), and nobody gets the enjoyment of beating someone who is underpowered) and C. lack of QBs on randomized maps (something which makes CM2/CM3 the greatest wargames of all time for us).

I have tested the newest patches once in a while and can see the game must be good, but somehow just have been merely thinking: "aww, it looks good, but imagine if those were germans and these were british/american/russian..." So no go for me =)

Still not unhappy even if I purchased two, I would've chosen to do it anyway as I want to give my support to Battlefront. Besides, we had CM2/CM3 and the newer Close Combat editions to play while waiting for the next "real" Combat Mission...

Anyways, my day has been saved by reading that it might be only months until my gaming group has something new to experience!! Hopefully we have random quick battles, advanced purchase system and the proper 60 second command delay system in place!

- jani

...maybe the story.

Story? What story?

Okay, here's one. The Allies wanted to go surfing on Normandy beaches but the Nazis, a rival surfer gang, wouldn't let them. After much violent hassling, the Nazis finally relented, but like bad losers everywhere went off in a snit and made trouble elsewhere. More to follow.

Michael

Hello all and greetings from Helsinki, Finland,

Registered for the purpose of trying to express how happy I am to hear the news about the fact the next WW2 Combat Mission is already on its way!! Woohoo!! You will have two copies purchased the moment I can have a link with the magic word "Buy" on it :D

I purchased two copies of CMSF the first week after release, and tried to play it with the group (4) of people I play computer strategy games with, but... It just didn't work for us. I mean, it seems like a good game and all, but we couldn't get the enjoyment out of it, mainly because of: A. setting (not really interested in Syrian military) B. balance (we play everything as evenly as possible, as we've played wargames for 15 years (since we were age 14-15), and nobody gets the enjoyment of beating someone who is underpowered) and C. lack of QBs on randomized maps (something which makes CM2/CM3 the greatest wargames of all time for us).

I have tested the newest patches once in a while and can see the game must be good, but somehow just have been merely thinking: "aww, it looks good, but imagine if those were germans and these were british/american/russian..." So no go for me =)

Still not unhappy even if I purchased two, I would've chosen to do it anyway as I want to give my support to Battlefront. Besides, we had CM2/CM3 and the newer Close Combat editions to play while waiting for the next "real" Combat Mission...

Anyways, my day has been saved by reading that it might be only months until my gaming group has something new to experience!! Hopefully we have random quick battles, advanced purchase system and the proper 60 second command delay system in place!

- jani

Hey Fazedh - nice to see you on the forum.

Come on lads, where's ya manners?

Steve said, "Suburb" instead of "Superb," which was what he meant to say, hence Sergei's "cityation" instead of "citation." ;)

Sorry if I spoiled your fun, Sergei.

Yes, yes, I got it the first time before anyone said anything, but my point still stands, for Sergei to post that, there either:

A. Was alcohol involved [The cheap Russian Vodka kind]

B. Was eating the canned fish from Sweden

C. For a moment, went back to his ewok roots. [Finns are so cute when destroying tanks with logs, or pinecones]

What next, Andreas comes back and tells a joke? :D

Rune

Everyone's just too horror struck by the prospect of even more Finns to say anything coherent! :D

You got that right.

(Don't worry Jani, in reality they all love Finns, they just are like elementary school boys who pretend to dislike girls.)

Yeah, it's those cute above the knee plaid skirts you all wear that do it.

Michael

Yes, yes, I got it the first time before anyone said anything, but my point still stands, for Sergei to post that, there either:

A. Was alcohol involved [The cheap Russian Vodka kind]

B. Was eating the canned fish from Sweden

C. For a moment, went back to his ewok roots. [Finns are so cute when destroying tanks with logs, or pinecones]

What next, Andreas comes back and tells a joke? :D

Rune

Oh, OK. No arguments there.

• 2 weeks later...
Heh... yeah, the old Sherman debate is a sign of the times :D I personally *love* Shermans armed with 75s. Against infantry, ATGs, buildings, defenses, etc. I'd rate them "Suburb". If the map is open and I'm facing a platoon of Panthers I'd downgrade that to "Crappy" :P

Steve

And who can ever forget the 'Sherman Firefly', maybe weaker than a Panther in a one to one but certainly more roadworthy.

For most of the battle for France the Firefly does have a significant weakness, though - lack of HE grenade for the 17 pdr. This is somewhat helped when using them in ratio of one Firefly per troop, but if you lose that lone Firefly your tank killing capability is heavily reduced, and if you lose your vanilla Shermans, enemy infantry will be far greater nuisance.

One wonders what was so difficult with the concept of designing a tank armed with a cannon that could kill both soft and hard targets, as only Germans and Soviets seemed to care about it. Likewise, why Soviets didn't produce an AT rocket launcher until years after the war. US, British and German infantry could try to knock out enemy tanks from distances exceeding 100m while Russian muzhik was required to sneak up within throwing distance of the target. To be fair, they both tried, the former just had some really messed up doctrines throwing sand in the gears, the latter had problems in R&D.

i am glad the series is moving back to WWII. the modern setting is fun and interessting and all that BUT its too much fiction at the end of the day.

armor values are guesstimated at best, what is and what isnt can be justified by "it could be" "it should be" "it has to be" but verry rarely with "it is". there is nothing defenitive and rarely hard facts.

again i like the setting but it was a shot in the foot in my eyes for the accurate depiction of a conflict.

i am glad the series is moving back to WWII. the modern setting is fun and interessting and all that BUT its too much fiction at the end of the day.

armor values are guesstimated at best, what is and what isnt can be justified by "it could be" "it should be" "it has to be" but verry rarely with "it is". there is nothing defenitive and rarely hard facts.

again i like the setting but it was a shot in the foot in my eyes for the accurate depiction of a conflict.

This was the heart of my objection when SF was first announced lo these many years ago, and there is probably a post or two of mine floating around somewhere in the archives stating as much. I began to notice some 35 years ago that nearly all wargames attempting to depict modern warfare were really just a form of science fiction to one degree or another. There is nothing especially wrong with that as long as it is clearly stated and understood.

But much the same objection has to be laid against "historical" wargames as well. Yes, WW II for instance was an extraordinarily well documented historical event, but then not everything got written down and a lot of what was was not completely accurate, to say the least. That's just for starts. Then there is the question of how far a game designer is willing and able to go in researching the documentation that is available. To be honest, there is an awful lot of "by guess and by gosh" employed by even the best game designers. The good ones end up with a product that is a reasonably good simulation of the actual event—at least good enough for the entertainment of amateur historians.

Personally, I too prefer the WW II setting simply because it is the one that I have most closely examined and feel confident to render a judgement of a particular game, whether it is giving me the real goods or just blowing smoke in my eyes. There is so much research yet to be done on more recent conflicts, sorting out fact from fiction, that I feel myself on much shakier ground.

Just one man's opinion.

Michael