Man I Am Ready For Some WWII

Lanzfeld

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads like this keep me awake at night, I wake up and stare at the ceiling thinking of the possibilities of a CMx2 WWII game.

I'm visualising 88's punching holes in Shermans, bazooka squads outflanking Tigers, make the visions stop, stop I tell you...

For real... I can't wait to play a good realistic WW2 strategy game, the last good one in my opinion was Steel Panthers. Yes I know there are others in existence, but their production values are so low its unbearable.

Company of Heroes is so unrealistic it puts a sour taste in my mouth, and it's the only real alternative for now.

For real... I can't wait to play a good realistic WW2 strategy game, the last good one in my opinion was Steel Panthers. Yes I know there are others in existence, but their production values are so low its unbearable.

Company of Heroes is so unrealistic it puts a sour taste in my mouth, and it's the only real alternative for now.

I agree with you but it's not the production values that let COH down it's the unrealistic rock-paper-scissors gameplay. I doubt CM:Normandy will have the special effects values of COH. However I'd at least like to see some difference in graphics for explosions - COH style - rathter than the current CMSF game that represents all explosions with the same set of bmp files . Just a different graphic set for artillery hitting the ground would be good enough for me, earth and black/grey smoke mixed up to represent a realistic arty strike.

Probably dreaming again but it would be a nice touch.

COH is a great game in my opinion. Not every wargame needs to be 100% realistic. Chess isnt. There is some serious thought put in the gameplay and balance issues with some touches of realism (cover, flank/rear shots, supression). Combined with spectacular visuals and superb online support, it is by far the best RTS I have ever played.

CMX2 on the other hand feels like loosely focused, with the most thought put on the realistic mechanics of the units and firepower. Like a set of miniatures in a box but with no instructions. IMHO CM Normandy needs some injection of "game" elements to avoid the seriousness and simulation feel thats so dominant in CMSF. It's still some way to 100% 1:1 realism, till then some tricks should feel the gaps.

Hello again, I am a returning player of CMBO from years ago. I loved playing CMBO. I think its been a good 5 to 6 years since I played. But my interest in playing again has been tugging at me for a few months now. I would like to know if CM2x will be made to play on Mac OS X?

In the meantime, I have been thinking about getting myself a Power Mac G4 tower running OS 9.2.2 just so I can play some CM again. These games are truly great and I am glad I can still buy them from this great site!

COH is a great game Like a set of miniatures in a box but with no instructions. IMHO CM Normandy needs some injection of "game" elements to avoid the seriousness and simulation feel thats so dominant in CMSF. It's still some way to 100% 1:1 realism, till then some tricks should feel the gaps.

Um, that's exactly what a lot of us like about CM games (OK, I don't like CMSF, but still...). I hope they'll keep the "tricks" to a minimum!

Have you tried the Blitzkrieg series of games ? Burning Horizon, Kursk etc. There is also a massive amount of mods and campaigns for this series, quite awesome !

Back to CM:N - i fall asleep SOME nights thinking of the possibillities of leading my USA or german troops into batlle, seeing the BAR's and MG42's etc in action, the mighty 88, the crappy Shermans, etc etc.

The modules to follow - having to hold the bridges at Arnhem against German armour...

Back to the deserts of Africa... Italian troops vs the commonwealth.... DAK.. Need i say more ?

Early war scenarios, France 1940, Poland... maybe this is stretching it a bit. But early war is my favourite.

Maybe a third party developer coming onboard to give us Malaya 1941-42. Japanese, Banzai !

The possibilites are endless.

Seeing as i have now enthused about CM:N and whats to follow and hopefully inspired more people to look forward to the new additions - Can we get a bone pretty please ?

...the crappy Shermans...

Unless you have something to add that I haven't heard before, I have to take exception to that phrase. The Sherman was quite good at what it was called on to do the great majority of the time. It ran well and did infantry support about as well as any tank in the war. Since it seldom actually had to face Panthers and Tigers, it's inferiority to those two tanks has been over-emphasized, and it was the equal of the Pz. IV.

Michael

Have you tried the Blitzkrieg series of games ? Burning Horizon, Kursk etc. There is also a massive amount of mods and campaigns for this series, quite awesome !

Back to CM:N - i fall asleep SOME nights thinking of the possibillities of leading my USA or german troops into batlle, seeing the BAR's and MG42's etc in action, the mighty 88, the crappy Shermans, etc etc.

The modules to follow - having to hold the bridges at Arnhem against German armour...

Back to the deserts of Africa... Italian troops vs the commonwealth.... DAK.. Need i say more ?

Early war scenarios, France 1940, Poland... maybe this is stretching it a bit. But early war is my favourite.

Maybe a third party developer coming onboard to give us Malaya 1941-42. Japanese, Banzai !

The possibilites are endless.

Seeing as i have now enthused about CM:N and whats to follow and hopefully inspired more people to look forward to the new additions - Can we get a bone pretty please ?

Blitzkrieg is an action RPG. I want something in the vein of Steel Panthers/CMSF.

I will always love Blitzkrieg and Close Combat. Those are great games, classic games that will always dominate war-gaming.

But I've been spoiled with CM:SF. The amount of detail in the movement, units, and combat is just unmatched by no other game out there. Most games fail at the 3-d environment (see Blitzkrieg 2)

We need CM:N now!