Map editor

rich12545

I'd like to suggest more terrain types. Jungle comes to mind. Marsh also. Probably a few others. Or will additional terrain types be something that can be modded?

Currently, the terrain types are not modable - you can't add new ones.

As for future changes - this is me thinking out-loud:

I'll have to think about what complications new terrain would add, but off the top of my head, I'll say this: there are three different effects that terrain-types have. The first two effects is that they adjust movement rates and defense values (for ground units). The third one is that they add a little variety and accuracy* to the visual display of the map. (*I can certainly see the importance of adding the accurate terrains to real places.)

I think I could figure out some good way to handle this, but if you wanted to play the Official 1900-2030 rules with a few new terrains (marsh, jungle), it would be a little complicated because the ruleset does not define the movement rate/defense modifiers for those new terrain types. (I might be able to cook-up a rules-mod system that would allow players to pick a pre-existing ruleset and then attach additional attributes to it.)

If, on the other hand, new terrain-types are included inside a new ruleset, that's not a difficult problem to solve. You would define the unit movement/defense modifiers along with the new terrain.

Also, what do the different elevation settings mean? The percentage drop down?

The different elevation settings are used simply to adjust the map image. It adjusts the brightness/darkness of the elevation variations. If you have a small map, the elevation variations make things look more realistic (it looks like hills and valleys). But, if you're playing a world map, it looks strange to see hills/valleys on a global scale. Elevation variations are very slight on a global scale, so you should turn-down the elevation setting, and it looks like a more realistic world map.

Brit, I think the current terrains are fine for the typical random map. But when designing scenarios there are simply too many different terrain types around the world for them all to be in 4 sets. Just a map of Europe from France to Russia would require several, including different height hills/mountains, etc.